Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Offaly need help” Loughnane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Of course you will produce evidence of me or any other Dublin regular posters complaining about that, won't you :)

Yeah, look at the thread! Lads complaining about public transport, hotels, whatever you're having the dubs are complaining about it. On yer own thread ye have it down to such a fine art that you disguise it as taking the mick out of the red necks for daring to suggest that ye might be whinging a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Yeah, look at the thread! Lads complaining about public transport, hotels, whatever you're having the dubs are complaining about it. On yer own thread ye have it down to such a fine art that you disguise it as taking the mick out of the red necks for daring to suggest that ye might be whinging a bit much.

Put it up Realt Dearg. Produce the evidence :)

Only references to the footballers playing in Kilkenny I've seen were about looking forward to it.

I've been down lots of times and only once in 40 years seen us beat you, but always enjoy it. Either be in O'Loughlins or the Park Inn.

and never heard a Cat whinge about anything :)

Put it up Realt Dearg. Produce the evidence :)

Only references to the footballers playing in Kilkenny I've seen were about looking forward to it.

I've been down lots of times and only once in 40 years seen us beat you, but always enjoy it. Either be in O'Loughlins or the Park Inn.

and never heard a Cat whinge about anything :)

When we do it it's called registering substandard arrangements.

When ye do it it's whinging.

Ha ha!

Baseball over so hitting the hay.

I shall never accuse another rural dweller of being a whinger ever again - even a Rathgar hurler (coming up here, trying to win our junior e championship :-)

Ha ha!

Baseball over so hitting the hay.

I shall never accuse another rural dweller of being a whinger ever again - even a Rathgar hurler (coming up here, trying to win our junior e championship :-)

Well I still reserve the right to complain about the soft Dublin referees.

• Advertisement

Well I still reserve the right to complain about the soft Dublin referees.

Some of them are ridiculous in fairness.

Am convinced that reason we will never win All Ireland is that Dublin club hurling is way below the standard of probably ten other counties, including Antrim, Wex, Offaly and maybe even Laois.

Poor officiating is one reason. Dub players only play the game at a serious level when they are on county panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/offaly-county-board-under-fire-7935236

14 Months collection dust. the recovery plan for Offaly hurling.

another day another mess.

from the same men that brought you.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/offaly-county-board-botches-appointment-6868476

Document was sent to the local media from a e-mail address:
    "Bizarrely the 'whistleblower' claimed to be Ger Loughnane, though we've verified he is not the source"
    "The contents of the review and other documentation found their way to local media last week and a management meeting was called tonight"

This is the only reason it be put out at tonight meeting.
    It just show the power the local media have to do both good and bad and the responsible they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

People wondering why Offaly should feel entitled to some amount of investment, which county is more likely to be competitive if it receives funding? One with a rich tradition of recent(ish) success, or one that has never won a game in the Leinster Hurling Championship in living memory? I mean are we going to give it to the Longford hurling team over the Offaly one? Do we want a competitive Leinster championship, or one dominated by one team, but where all teams are given equal funding?

It's the same in football. The GAA needs to invest in teams with some tradition. Meath and Kildare could challenge Dublin, but Longford (sorry Longford!) or Louth never will!

People wondering why Offaly should feel entitled to some amount of investment, which county is more likely to be competitive if it receives funding? One with a rich tradition of recent(ish) success, or one that has never won a game in the Leinster Hurling Championship in living memory? I mean are we going to give it to the Longford hurling team over the Offaly one? Do we want a competitive Leinster championship, or one dominated by one team, but where all teams are given equal funding?

It's the same in football. The GAA needs to invest in teams with some tradition. Meath and Kildare could challenge Dublin, but Longford (sorry Longford!) or Louth never will!

How on earth would the all Irelands they won in the 1980s be of any use whatsoever to them now? The hurlers they have coming up now probably don't remember the last time they won anything of any note. Their minors and 21s definitely don't. I'm 34 and I'm starting to forget myself. Id like to see offaly improve but feeling entitled to funding because of tradition when your country board can't be bothered to make a plan for improving the game in the county kind of sums up the problem really. Funding without some competent people to plan how to spend it is useless, and memories of the 1990s aren't a plan. If Westmeath or heaven help us Longford had a competent county board and a plan, then yeah, they'll make better use of the funding than offaly watching old laochra gaels and dreaming of the good old days.

There is a lot of nonsense about funding. Yes, Dublin hurling got a big break with the Sports Council grant a a while back, but as Realt Dearg as a cat hurling in Dublin will know, us juniors are still stripping out in bushes and running lottos to make a few bob.

Central funding is strictly on per capita basis and Cork have done best because they have the biggest number of players. What they do choose to do with it is another day's work!

it is a pity to see Offaly gone down, but sport is not a charity. Regan has it called right about the Offaly board and their responsibility in it all.

• Advertisement

The Offaly county board is now refusing to answer question from the local media and newstalk.
    Original cause they weren't submitted through the correct channels
    So the journalist resubmitted through the correct channels and they still will not answers then.
    Why cause the local lads broke this story this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

The Offaly county board is now refusing to answer question from the local media and newstalk.
    Original cause they weren't submitted through the correct channels
    So the journalist resubmitted through the correct channels and they still will not answers then.
    Why cause the local lads broke this story this week

They said on newstalk that the Offaly county board contacted them to give out that they weren't contacted for a right of reply the first night they talked about it. So newstalk offered them the chance to come on the next night. And they said no.

I don't know what the answer there is, but I don't have any faith in them to come up with it.

blue note wrote: »
    They said on newstalk that the Offaly county board contacted them to give out that they weren't contacted for a right of reply the first night they talked about it. So newstalk offered them the chance to come on the next night. And they said no.

I don't know what the answer there is, but I don't have any faith in them to come up with it.

I wouldn't let these lads mind my dog while it's out taking a ****e, let alone give them responsibility for allocating funding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'm not sure why you think Longford or Louth wouldnt be able to challenge. Realistically, Longford and Louth would be on the same par as Wexford and Wexford were a formidable challenge to Dublin for a couple of years despite being very much second best to hurling in the county. Louth also themselves famously came close to winning the only Leinster in recent history that Dublin havent won. There is no reason a county is not able to compete with the top teams with the right motivation, coaching and financial input.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Funding without a good plan is a waste. Offaly CB need to develop the plan, then look for funding to implement. For the plan, they should look to Dublin and KK for guidance as they are the leaders in this.
    It's not only Offaly, all other counties who wish to maximise their resources should also do this

blue note wrote: »

I wouldn't let these lads mind my dog while it's out taking a ****e, let alone give them responsibility for allocating funding.
    Bingo. That the biggest problem.
    They only thing these lads do well is blaming other people for there mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

clubs are to blame

its the same few lads returned every year, for the last umpteen years
    same in westmeath

until the clubs call for and demand change and then follow through on it, nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Central funding is strictly on per capita basis.

Is it?
    "Per capita that means that Dublin get more than a euro whereas Meath and Kildare are on 24 cent and 20 cent."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/unease-as-dublin-s-blue-wave-threatens-to-engulf-gaa-1.2519956

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

How on earth would the all Irelands they won in the 1980s be of any use whatsoever to them now? The hurlers they have coming up now probably don't remember the last time they won anything of any note. Their minors and 21s definitely don't. I'm 34 and I'm starting to forget myself. Id like to see offaly improve but feeling entitled to funding because of tradition when your country board can't be bothered to make a plan for improving the game in the county kind of sums up the problem really. Funding without some competent people to plan how to spend it is useless, and memories of the 1990s aren't a plan. If Westmeath or heaven help us Longford had a competent county board and a plan, then yeah, they'll make better use of the funding than offaly watching old laochra gaels and dreaming of the good old days.

How can past success influence modern teams? Sure look at what Wexford are attempting at the moment; some of the 96 team/management are involved in underage development. It's reaping dividends at underage level. Surely you can't argue that success in the past can be a hinderance in the future?

In terms of Offaly making a plan, I completely agree with you. They should be formulating a plan. By all accounts, the county board in Tullamore is a shambles.

Can I apologise to Longford also! Plenty of good underage work going on there. What they lack is belief at senior level!

How can past success influence modern teams? Sure look at what Wexford are attempting at the moment; some of the 96 team/management are involved in underage development. It's reaping dividends at underage level. Surely you can't argue that success in the past can be a hinderance in the future?

In terms of Offaly making a plan, I completely agree with you. They should be formulating a plan. By all accounts, the county board in Tullamore is a shambles.

Can I apologise to Longford also! Plenty of good underage work going on there. What they lack is belief at senior level!

I was just thinking I should address this very thing and then I saw you'd since posted. I do think building on existing success is important (although the window of opportunity is probably closer for offaly) but more generally I suppose the argument is one I'd look at the other way round. That we need offaly in the sense that we can't afford to be losing traditional hurling counties, and if we do lose places with that tradition, the job of growing the game gets harder because it's easier to maintain it where it's strong than build it where it isn't.

But there's still no point finding the clowns running the circus right now. But as nice guy said, that's the clubs business, they need to get serious about what kind of board they want or they'll get what they deserve. And money can't solve that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement