Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ants are Back, Ted

• 08-07-2017 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

The annual plague of flying ants is starting. Be safe out there and keep your mouths closed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yeah, had a near-miss with an infestation during the week. They starting pouring in through a condensation-drainer in one of the windowframes. Much talcum powder, vinegar spray and cloves seem have done the trick, although I suspect the talc is packed in so hard that they'd have trouble getting through.

The flying ones are just...eugh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Had two outbreaks in the garden in the past week. Fortunately I spotted both of them as they were all getting ready to take flight. It was a massacre. No way they are getting into the house this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

DO NOT KILL THE ANTS IT GOES AGAINST MY VEGAN BELIEFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They're pismires, Ted.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Who the f*ck is Ted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Who the f*ck is Ted?

A fictional Bertie Aherne type character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Samaris wrote: »
    Yeah, had a near-miss with an infestation during the week. They starting pouring in through a condensation-drainer in one of the windowframes. Much talcum powder, vinegar spray and cloves seem have done the trick, although I suspect the talc is packed in so hard that they'd have trouble getting through.

The flying ones are just...eugh..
    Try having a neighbour with a flying cockroach problem, these ants are childs play!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Earwigs seem to be out in force at the moment too! :(

Until now, I didn't know the flying ants were what pishmires were. Learn something every day/night!

I'd assume this is fine weather for cleggs too if you're footin'/baggin' turf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,247 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Washing up liquid is your only man. Napalm so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

kylith wrote: »

The correct response was , of course:

" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    ....you philistine !!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Billy86 wrote: »
    Try having a neighbour with a flying cockroach problem, these ants are childs play!

No thanks! Got enough on with ants and the wildlife the cat keeps dragging in (mostly ticks despite being dosed recently, horrible things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Samaris wrote: »
    No thanks! Got enough on with ants and the wildlife the cat keeps dragging in (mostly ticks despite being dosed recently, horrible things).
    I remember our cat at 4-5am dragging an 80%, heavily bleeding bird in my bedroom window when I was a teenager what still had enough life in it to panic, flutter and spread it's feathers everywhere. I was in a box bedroom and was only about 1 hour asleep having been out in Red box or one of those spots easy to get into when you were 16/17. Was never more grateful than when he got lazy and began trying to passing off leaves for "look what I killed for you!" gifts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Years ago I made a table for a lady to go in the "good room" / parlour, all was fine for a few months till I got a phone call enquiring was it possible that there was woodworm in the timber I used, because the good room was full of creepy crawlies. I called over to find ants had invaded through the chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Did you know they hibernate!

Last summer we had an infestation in our kitchen under the kitchen units (behind the fascia/kick board), where they would crawl out every evening/night, so I filled the tiny gap with silicone sealant (after spraying in ant killer powder), Sorted.

Or so I thought. Cut to this Summer & the little buggers re appeared through a tiny crack, some with wings most without, so this time I washed the floor with dettol & poured in boiling water, which seems to have done the trick!

Hurrah :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,887 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

LordSutch wrote:
    Or so I thought. Cut to this Summer & the little buggers re appeared through a tiny crack, some with wings most without, so this time I washed the floor with dettol & poured in boiling water, which seems to have done the trick!

Boiling water always worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Who the f*ck is Ted?

Everyone keeps telling me random sh1t that doesn't affect me.

Advertisement