Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 acres, 30 cows, OAD, part-time dairying

• 17-09-2019 2:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a small shock at the weekend when I bumped into a neighbour and he casually mentioned he was thinking of going milking.

He has a few cattle (calf to store) and said he lambs around 50 sheep in March. I know he's working off-farm as well.

He reckons he could milk 30 Jersey-X cross cows, once a day, and still keep the off-farm job. In fairness, he has a cubicle shed for them and another shed that could fit a handy milking parlour. Without knowing what else exactly is there, it looks like there are paddocks and some sort of roadways in place.

I asked him what he'd do with the bull calves and he said he'd AI everything with BB straws and buy in replacements.

As I said, I was surprised but he seems to have put some thought into it.

Is he mad? Or should we all be milking part-time? I have to admit, I'd be tempted

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

I would be surprised if anyone of the creameries would be bothered collecting such a small amount.I seem to remember reading glanbia were not taking on any new suppliers and dairygold were never keen from my own experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

His location may help or hinder 're collection, along with easy access. Allowing the lorry to drive in and swing around and head straight for road is a big help. 're the bulls that is prob the best option to keep it simple. Was at a pedigree jersey herd the what they used was sexed je on the heifers and bb on the cows, they found bb were the only breed to give a bit of width to have a saleable calf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was at a pedigree jersey herd the what they used was sexed je on the heifers and bb on the cows, they found bb were the only breed to give a bit of width to have a saleable calf.

We've no breeding cattle here but I was often wondering about the sexed semen - I'm assuming it doesn't guarantee a heifer calf, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

We've no breeding cattle here but I was often wondering about the sexed semen - I'm assuming it doesn't guarantee a heifer calf, does it?

About 90% I think, but lower conception rates. Depends a lot on specific batches of semen and even the bull being resident at the facility apparently. That herd had American and Dutch genetics and fert is rel poor, I think he said maybe 40% held to first service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

i think he maybe onto something alright , low cost , low labour , might be better running AA bull .
    no calving problems , no AI.

heard of a guy out in north kerry , buys in cows to milk for the year and sells off in late October , no calving , no wintering ,
    simple .
    by all accounts he's not short of a bob , so theres many way to skin a cat

• Advertisement

kerry cow wrote: »
    i think he maybe onto something alright , low cost , low labour , might be better running AA bull .
    no calving problems , no AI.

heard of a guy out in north kerry , buys in cows to milk for the year and sells off in late October , no calving , no wintering ,
    simple .
    by all accounts he's not short of a bob , so theres many way to skin a cat

If you leave lads at it, they’ll make their own way. Tis when they follow the official one-size-fits-all advice, they go a bit cracked at times.

I might ask this lad if he’s interested in a partnership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was delivering straw to a dairy farmer yesterday morning and when organising the delivery time he asked if I could leave it until after 10am as the milk lorry had to empty his mobile tank that he had placed at the yard gate which was blocking the yard entrance.
    I remember when my late Uncle had to quit dairying cause Killeshandra wouldn't collect the volume of milk from his 20 cow herd even though he drove to the nearest collection point and won several milk quality awards over the years.
    Unfortunately it appears to me that our little island continues down this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

If you leave lads at it, they’ll make their own way. Tis when they follow the official one-size-fits-all advice, they go a bit cracked at times.

I might ask this lad if he’s interested in a partnership!

Is your land joining his farm.

farisfat wrote: »
    Is your land joining his farm.

Yes but on the other side of a public road - not ideal but manageable. When we get going right we’ll put in an underpass!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yes but on the other side of a public road - not ideal but manageable. When we get going right we’ll put in an underpass!!!

How many acres have ye got between ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Was full time working & milking over 50 here up to end of last year here. The father was always around which was a great help & the job was literally only 2 miles away. Place closed were I was October & offered relocation by company 10 miles away. Cows & this were unworkable to my me.
    Fortunately company offered part time work 20 hour's a week from 11 to 3. Ideal.
    Lost 30 acres of rented ground next door last December also so milking under 40 this year.
    Simple system is what you have to have fertile cows, good roadways & an oversize basic parlour with good cow flow.
    If the job keeps to house /family going then it has to take priority over the cows. Tough call to make when a difficult calving or cow with ecoli in the spring.
    Thoroughly enjoyable though if you get a good system that accommodates both ofj & farm.

How many acres have ye got between ye?

80 at the moment but I'd have another 40 to add to the mix when the lease is up on ground I've rented out.

I'm going to have stop now or the idea will start to really take hold :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I wonder how many lads with large blocks of land will go dairying after this year. Is it that hard to get a COOP to take your milk?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Was full time working & milking over 50 here up to end of last year here. The father was always around which was a great help & the job was literally only 2 miles away. Place closed were I was October & offered relocation by company 10 miles away. Cows & this were unworkable to my me.
    Fortunately company offered part time work 20 hour's a week from 11 to 3. Ideal.
    Lost 30 acres of rented ground next door last December also so milking under 40 this year.
    Simple system is what you have to have fertile cows, good roadways & an oversize basic parlour with good cow flow.
    If the job keeps to house /family going then it has to take priority over the cows. Tough call to make when a difficult calving or cow with ecoli in the spring.
    Thoroughly enjoyable though if you get a good system that accommodates both ofj & farm.

Fairs dues to you, it’s defo not easy doing what you are doing

I think we’ll see more and more like you in the future with part time dairy and a job or something.

Your blessed with the hours in the new job 11-3 is perfect for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

80 at the moment but I'd have another 40 to add to the mix when the lease is up on ground I've rented out.

I'm going to have stop now or the idea will start to really take hold :)

Sounds very viable if you get on well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I wonder how many lads with large blocks of land will go dairying after this year. Is it that hard to get a COOP to take your milk?

Milk supply manager was on to us here the other day re supply going well over what I predicted 5 years ago in a census, they’re flooded with milk and it’s only getting worse, their is going to have to be some blueprint done before 2020 starts to let any potential new entrants and existing expanding suppliers what the situation is going to be going forward.....
    The rate at which some of the big in the know lads have expanded around here the past couple of years I reckon this year could be a reference year for your supply going forward and any new milk after this will be levied for new stainless steel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kk.man

What would ppl who milk 30/40 get you net (at present milk price)after all is paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭Grueller

kk.man wrote: »
    What would ppl who milk 30/40 get you net (at present milk price)after all is paid?

I am going dairying on about 50 cows next spring.
    I have based my figures on the following on the income side.

50 cows x 5000litres = 250,000litres milk sales
    250,000 x €0.28= €70,000
    35 calves (continental bull on fr x hol cows) @€;150 each = €5250

That gives me an income of €75250
    1 Not including culls
    2 Based on €0.28 per litre including bonuses so realistically 25-26 cent base price
    3 5000 litres a cow is a very average figure

I am putting down the cost of keeping a cow at €900. Every dairy friend/neighbour/teagasc/private advisors/coop tells me that this is about right.

50 x €900 = €45,000

€75,250 - €45,000 = €30,000 plus SFP, ANC and schemes such as glas or any environmental schemes that may appear (outfarm will be well under stocked)

As I said I have estimated all income on the average to low side.
    The dairy boys will be along shortly to drive a bus through my figures:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Grueller a reasonable rule of thumb I see is 10c/l profit as a conservative measure on just the dairy end, on that 250kl supply that's 25k, which is fairly close to your 30k figure you have worked out there in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kk.man wrote: »

The accepted figure seems to be about 30c/ to break even, on average. Above that leads to bills being played earlier, below that means bills paid later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I'd advise against it. Life's too short to have a day job then have a herd of cows on the side, unless you have a parent/partner/child willing to help?

Dairy farming has become very specific and regulated - qa schemes, nitrates, Milk quality. Tax implications from having an off farm job?

I say farm extensively, few nice bullocks and draw the payments.

I'd advise against it. Life's too short to have a day job then have a herd of cows on the side, unless you have a parent/partner/child willing to help?

Dairy farming has become very specific and regulated - qa schemes, nitrates, Milk quality. Tax implications from having an off farm job?

That system will be fooked in a few years with the sh1te beef trade and the looming reduction in the CAP budget. No problem if you are 60 with no successor but otherwise I think it has no future.

Grueller wrote: »

I am putting down the cost of keeping a cow at €900. Every dairy friend/neighbour/teagasc/private advisors/coop tells me that this is about right.

Thanks a million for sharing all those figures. Can I just ask if that €900 includes fixed costs as well? e.g. interest on bank loan, tractor maintenance, etc. Or is that just the variable costs like feed and fertiliser?

Came across the eProfit report too: https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2018/teagasc-profit-monitor-analysis-dairy-farms-2017.php

Lots of figures on p.8 that might help give ballpark estimates for various costs and outputs

Thanks a million for sharing all those figures. Can I just ask if that €900 includes fixed costs as well? e.g. interest on bank loan, tractor maintenance, etc. Or is that just the variable costs like feed and fertiliser?

Came across the eProfit report too: https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2018/teagasc-profit-monitor-analysis-dairy-farms-2017.php

Lots of figures on p.8 that might help give ballpark estimates for various costs and outputs

I am told it includes fixed costs as well as much as it can be accurate with all the variations from farm to farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A lad started milking beside us a couple of years ago . We are just the Galway side of Conemara and they are collecting his milk from about 25 cows . I don't know who he is supplying but I'm surprised they are sending a truck back for the sake of it .

I am told it includes fixed costs as well as much as it can be accurate with all the variations from farm to farm.

Just did a few quick sums myself, based on OAD, low fixed costs, and using BB straws on them. Tis nothing to get overly excited about but still probably better than sheep/cattle:

Stocked at 2.2, getting 28c, €100 per calf (sold at 2 weeks), you'd be looking at around €616 profit per cow or €1,360 per HA.

I made several assumptions so couldn't stand over these numbers exactly but still probably close to ball-park estimates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I agree as I know a few lads doing both and they are burned out trying to keep everything going, luckily they are single as family life would be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ragner

Been there, done that. If you want a balanced life, family time, social life etc it's very difficult. It ran me into the ground anyway. As another poster mentioned the income tax can also be a hurdle if your job pays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think the difference is you need enough of a balance/float built up and to keep it and even add to that float every year.
    It gives the successful farmers opportunities to hire last minute labour from farm relief, etc. Buy the labour saving machines, do the costly permanent fencing that won't have you running around on a Saturday evening after stock and put down the permanent roadways in a way that won't have you patching them every year.
    Aim to have the farm running itself with minimal labour and minimal cost.

If it means using the off farm job to build that float for the first while and paying a high tax rate then let it be so.
    The higher that float is obviously the better.

Having said all that I think I'd find it impossible myself to be dairy farming and doing another job as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Having said all that I think I'd find it impossible myself to be dairy farming and doing another job as well.

I think it’s a mad idea, not sure why you’d want to do it......

Said it the missus there - she said “ah, sure farming is only a half a business anyways, why not milk cows”

I asked what she meant by that?

She said “farming is only half a business, and half a lifestyle. No one now farms cos they have to, they farm cos they want to. If yer man wants to work all hours and milk cows, it’s cos he wants to do it, leave him off”

I didn’t say anymore...

Said it the missus there - she said “ah, sure farming is only a half a business anyways, why not milk cows”

She said “farming is only half a business, and half a lifestyle. No one now farms cos they have to, they farm cos they want to. If yer man wants to work all hours and milk cows, it’s cos he wants to do it, leave him off”

I didn’t say anymore...
    It's the loneliest place in the world when it all goes wrong though.
    There's a reason suicide is a big killer among New Zealand's dairy industry.
    And going that we're just nearly operating at the same level now in every way now here you'd definitely want your eyes fully open before committing.

And going that we're just nearly operating at the same level now in every way now here you'd definitely want your eyes fully open before committing.

Isn't that the same in every enterprise though, sheep, beef, tillage or even a non farming business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Isn't that the same in every enterprise though, sheep, beef, tillage or even a non farming business.

Weekends, bank holidays etc seem to be a bit different with dairying compared to most non farming businesses or even other farming enterprises.

They're financial problems. I'm not belittling them either.

It's just in dairy you can get the financial problems with the actual physical labour and drudgery of it.
    It's like groundhog day every day and sometimes feeling its getting worse every day instead of better. And if you take your eye off the ball even for a little bit it'll all fall apart.

Anyways apart from that tis a grand job. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The groundhog day part of it is sorta where I'm at at the minute lol, 7yrs full-time here now and itching for a new challenge I'll admit, but equally so as you say take your eye off the ball and it can go to **** very quick (which I'm noticing this year with a scc issue, alongside all these beef calves I got stuck with thanks to tb that I have no real interest in barely breaking even on). Part time labour I'm lucky I have plenty of, however the challenge there is leaving them on themselves for full days while say I would be working off farm.

All in all its a nice position that I'm in still, but the next step of something more off farm is alittle tricky than I'd expected ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Hi op, currently operating at this scale only difference being we have 2 blocks of land but milking block would be less than 30 acres.. This year being first year oad.. My father has milked all his life but through quota land restrictions and just doing his own thing and not being bothered with lads telling him he was too small years ago he stayed tipping away at the cows. I've been involved for last 7 years or so looked at expanding but land not available.
    The oad has taking good bit of pressure off the system and I think will suit us going forward for few years.. But going forward once my father isn't able to help out and all the milking fell onto me I don't know if it will be viable.. Working a 40 hr week and not huge flexibility.
    Read an article in indo on Tuesday about 50 cow herd start up part time.. It would take 7 years before any income would be taken and then it would be 35000 pre tax.. I just thought it sounded like pure madness.. The way things are going 35000 in 7 years won't do a whole lot if trying to rear family and pay mortgage.. After basically sacrificing 7yrs of your life after kinda being there and done that I'd say life is too short and it's very easy get isolated and you miss out on a lot in that length of time.. If your health is good and you have any other interests I kinda of the opinion now your time is better spent at that than producing milk to be dryed into powder that let's be honest is not even really needed to make millionaires out of the likes of Siobhán Talbot..if farming is your passion and you enjoy milking and it's not affecting the people around you then maybe work away each to there own but purely for money I dunno. Sorry for long winded post.. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    I was delivering straw to a dairy farmer yesterday morning and when organising the delivery time he asked if I could leave it until after 10am as the milk lorry had to empty his mobile tank that he had placed at the yard gate which was blocking the yard entrance.
    I remember when my late Uncle had to quit dairying cause Killeshandra wouldn't collect the volume of milk from his 20 cow herd even though he drove to the nearest collection point and won several milk quality awards over the years.
    Unfortunately it appears to me that our little island continues down this road.

Crosskeys near Cavan town is the last place I see on my travels where I see lads congregating with wee mobile tanks behind tractors and jeeps for the milk lorry to meet them. Used to be everywhere but that’s the only one I see now.

As for OP, I think a partnership might well be the way to go, otherwise I think his neighbor is mad to consider a full time job and dairy in parallel, has he a family ?? Where will they fit in as he becomes a total slave to work and cows, what life is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Hi op, currently operating at this scale only difference being we have 2 blocks of land but milking block would be less than 30 acres.. This year being first year oad.. My father has milked all his life but through quota land restrictions and just doing his own thing and not being bothered with lads telling him he was too small years ago he stayed tipping away at the cows. I've been involved for last 7 years or so looked at expanding but land not available.
    The oad has taking good bit of pressure off the system and I think will suit us going forward for few years.. But going forward once my father isn't able to help out and all the milking fell onto me I don't know if it will be viable.. Working a 40 hr week and not huge flexibility.
    Read an article in indo on Tuesday about 50 cow herd start up part time.. It would take 7 years before any income would be taken and then it would be 35000 pre tax.. I just thought it sounded like pure madness.. The way things are going 35000 in 7 years won't do a whole lot if trying to rear family and pay mortgage.. After basically sacrificing 7yrs of your life after kinda being there and done that I'd say life is too short and it's very easy get isolated and you miss out on a lot in that length of time.. If your health is good and you have any other interests I kinda of the opinion now your time is better spent at that than producing milk to be dryed into powder that let's be honest is not even really needed to make millionaires out of the likes of Siobhán Talbot..if farming is your passion and you enjoy milking and it's not affecting the people around you then maybe work away each to there own but purely for money I dunno. Sorry for long winded post.. Just my 2 cents.

I called it a day milking 30 cows in 2015. It's grand being single at it, land and house inherited. Nice way of life if you don't mind a simple life. But having a family etc. you would also need a job. I just didn't see the point in working two jobs. Plus I could never compete with big operators around me for land. I remember offering extra money for land to rent and I was told no. So I now work for a bigger operator. Have a decent wage and time off without the stress of trying to make a small business run. Anyway my milk processor even told me to call it a day! We had our day in the 90s when input costs were low and we leased quota out. When you're small it's important to play the game.

Thanks for the honest replies lads. Might see the neighbour around at the weekend and see if he has any news.

From my own point of view, I won’t be committing to cows any time soon. I have a flexible part-time job but messing around with sheep and a few cattle is taking way too much time on my “farm days” for what’s out of it.

Seeing the factories, farm leaders, the media, etc. combine to break the protests is depressing too. Makes ya think maybe Siobhan Talbot would be as good a parasite as any to have feed off ya. And laugh at ya along the way.

Might hedge my bets and buy 30-40 Jersey-X heifer calves next Spring. At least the option would be there then in 2 years time to go milking myself or sell as freshly calved milkers.

Or maybe even join the neighbour if he goes ahead too!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Best of luck whatever way you go.. We stayed at milk cause the facilities were there and paid for and the alternative enterprises in farming seem to be non existant but as einn says the days of 30 cows herd being viable full time are over and working 2 jobs isn't for everyone.
    I'd say your right to rear the heifers and see how things pan out but wouldn't be set on Jersey x even if your goin oad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I didn’t say anymore...

She's hit the nail on the head there Dinzee, you've a wise partner there. A lot of the problems like the above start when people forget the quality of life part.
    OAD is a great option and helps solve a lot of the social problems associated with dairying.
    You'd want a bit of back up in the spring but it would be easy to fit in with a flexible job most times, you'd want to be picking your number though.
    As the old saying goes, "Never have more cows than your wife can milk".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭dmakc

Is it feasible for the cow to go OAD Mon-Fri and TAD on weekends?

"Never have more cows than your wife can milk".

In fairness to herself here, she seems more interested in this idea to milk Jerseys-X cows OAD than some of the other hare-brained ideas I’ve come up with.

Getting her into the parlour might be a different thing altogether. But I did explain that Jerseys were smaller than Holsteins and that seemed to help!

Must get back to DoneDeal now looking for them 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

I do shift work and trying to make a twist with beef and I’m only acting the bollox with it. Herself works full time and when she arrives in, in the evening there is always something to be done or looked at. Kids are too small to bring around stock when I’m minding them during the summer. Both are back in school so Ive three hours in the mornings the days I’m off to get anything done.
    I’ve spent a fortune fencing the place and setting up paddocks and just when things are flying something goes wrong. This week was given over to separating cattle on Monday neighbors called into visit that morning gone. Tuesday repairing properly fence that was broken now all electric 3 strand wire for internal fencing from now on.
    Wednesday I’d to get the vet for a lame bullock. So nothing else done here and all that has to be done in so little time and you want to milk cows and work full time fair play to ya. Only the boss man is here to look at stock for me on the days I’m working the place would be leased out years ago.
    What employer wants to hear about a sick cow in this day and age and put up with arriving into work late or having to go early not a hope they’d begrudge you a sick child never mind a cow.

dmakc wrote: »

Not sure but you’d hear tell of lads going the other way - TAD all week and then OAD on Sunday so 13 milkings instead of 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭tibruit

I wouldn`t fancy trying to get BB bull calves out Jersey cows, especially if you`ve got an off farm job that you need to get to in the spring. . He doesn`t need Jerseys to milk OAD. I went OAD this year, just made a lifestyle choice after a year of hardship in 2018 between the wet spring and dry summer. It`s hard to get a reliable person to milk cows on short notice and my son was doing the leaving. I wasn`t worried about it because I`d done it for a year several years ago after I`d been hit with illness and I don`t have any debt. I do my own inseminations and I`ve used sexed semen in the past and don`t think the fertility is as good as some like to portray. I`d have a high EBI herd, British Friesien x Holstein and I had no bother. There`ll be one or two cows won`t be suited but I didn`t inseminate them and while they`re still giving a bit they`ve got plenty of condition on them now for the mart or factory. You`ll be producing upwards of 30% less than TAD but I had 10 extra in-calf heifers that I`d normally have sold last Autumn that I kept and was able to carry on the same block although I`ve been lucky in that regard because this year was a good year weather wise. If I make up my mind to go back to TAD next year I`ll have 10 extra cows or in-calf heifers to sell this winter depending on scan results.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

To what end?

You'd have to imagine you'd be tempering any adaption to OAD milking and creating cell count issues.

I says wrote: »
    I do shift work and trying to make a twist with beef and I’m only acting the bollox with it. Herself works full time and when she arrives in, in the evening there is always something to be done or looked at. Kids are too small to bring around stock when I’m minding them during the summer. Both are back in school so Ive three hours in the mornings the days I’m off to get anything done.
    I’ve spent a fortune fencing the place and setting up paddocks and just when things are flying something goes wrong. This week was given over to separating cattle on Monday neighbors called into visit that morning gone. Tuesday repairing properly fence that was broken now all electric 3 strand wire for internal fencing from now on.
    Wednesday I’d to get the vet for a lame bullock. So nothing else done here and all that has to be done in so little time and you want to milk cows and work full time fair play to ya. Only the boss man is here to look at stock for me on the days I’m working the place would be leased out years ago.
    What employer wants to hear about a sick cow in this day and age and put up with arriving into work late or having to go early not a hope they’d begrudge you a sick child never mind a cow.
    The difference is a role of baling twine would fence in a herd of cows. They're getting fresh grass everyday in a set routine so it's much easier on all.

Not sure but you’d hear tell of lads going the other way - TAD all week and then OAD on Sunday so 13 milkings instead of 14
    No is the short answer, some people skip a milking once a week from September on but milk late one morning and early the next.

"Never have more cows than your wife can milk".

In fairness to herself here, she seems more interested in this idea to milk Jerseys-X cows OAD than some of the other hare-brained ideas I’ve come up with.

Getting her into the parlour might be a different thing altogether. But I did explain that Jerseys were smaller than Holsteins and that seemed to help!

Must get back to DoneDeal now looking for them 😀
    Unless you've a thing for jerseys, which is grand, it's not a must do. All kinds a cows do fine OAD, and some cows just don't.
    A lot of OAD herds came from NZ culture and systems so hence the high incidence of JEX. I know a man who's changed HoFr 600kgMS herd to OAD this year and is delighted. I've a very mixed herd sone Jex NRx, NZ and BrFrx, breed is not the be all and end all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement