Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance new car Sunday

Options
  • 07-09-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Im hoping to pick up a second hand car from a garage tomorrow. I really need it for Monday. My brother and me are both fully insured and have open drive plus drive other ppls cars. If I bought the car tomorrow but he drove it home and I drove his home, would this be legal do we think?

As open drive doesnt apply if you own it so I cant drive it home. But Im assuming his "insured to drive other ppl's cars" policy covers him to drive my car until I can switch it on Monday morning.

Can anyone see if Im missing something here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If you both have the 'driving other car' extension (and just check it doesn't exclude cars belonging to other Family members etc.....although that usually just excludes spouses) then there's no reason not to drive both cars home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Hi all, Im hoping to pick up a second hand car from a garage tomorrow. I really need it for Monday. My brother and me are both fully insured and have open drive plus drive other ppls cars. If I bought the car tomorrow but he drove it home and I drove his home, would this be legal do we think?

As open drive doesnt apply if you own it so I cant drive it home. But Im assuming his "insured to drive other ppl's cars" policy covers him to drive my car until I can switch it on Monday morning.

Can anyone see if Im missing something here?

Thanks

It'll most likely only be 3rd party cover. Can you afford to pay for your brothers car if you crash it and vice versa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement