Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pumping water using solar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Gman1987

Got the 1" pipe and water troughs installed before Christmas. Working a dream so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Gman1987 wrote: »
    Got the 1" pipe and water troughs installed before Christmas. Working a dream so far.

Great job , looks like spillanes concrete. Only problem I have with them is bulls smash off pipe fittings if not more protected than you have there

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Gman1987

1373 wrote: »
    Great job , looks like spillanes concrete. Only problem I have with them is bulls smash off pipe fittings if not more protected than you have there

The picture with the troughs in the distance shows each trough is servicing two paddocks so their is an electric fence going out over them with one stake placed close to the connections at the back of the trough to prevent them being damaged. The picture of the trough close up doesn't have this done yet as I have these two paddocks burnt off for reseeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

feartuath wrote: »
    I have just built a ram pump using 11/2" fittings,there is not much of a fall in the river but it is 2 to 3 feet deep with a good flow.
    Not sure if it will work even with 4" pipe feeding it
    Hope to install at the weekend.

Maybe I need a mill wheel!

Going back a bit. But would love to know how to feed water into the Ram Pump properly - like if it's on a stream how do you stop it being clogged with silt etc.

Is there a filter you can use for the 4" Pipe and how do you get a decent flow going through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Going back a bit. But would love to know how to feed water into the Ram Pump properly - like if it's on a stream how do you stop it being clogged with silt etc.

Is there a filter you can use for the 4" Pipe and how do you get a decent flow going through it?
    You could try putting in a very basic stilling well, offline from the main stream flow channel so that your not getting much if any deposition on the pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I gave up on the ram pump in one river but got it to work perfectly in another.
    One case there was 3 foot of water in the river flowing slowly.
    I used a meter of 4" pipe reduced to 3/4 to try and build up pressure to feed the pump but it was not enough.
    You need pressure flowing into the ram pump first then this will in turn pump to a great distance across the field.

I was trying to make it extract from a slow flowing stream.
    2nd time a few meters of 3/4 pipe primed with water flowing downhill was enough to get the pump to work.

Used home made wire mesh filter in plastic bottle attached in hydrodare pump work here in the past.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You could try putting in a very basic stilling well, offline from the main stream flow channel so that your not getting much if any deposition on the pipe.

How could this type of well be made, practically?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How could this type of well be made, practically?

Have seen it done with three well liners, water fed on via a 2” stone drain.
    Water was crystal clear and no sediment.

feartuath wrote: »
    I gave up on the ram pump in one river but got it to work perfectly in another.
    One case there was 3 foot of water in the river flowing slowly.
    I used a meter of 4" pipe reduced to 3/4 to try and build up pressure to feed the pump but it was not enough.
    You need pressure flowing into the ram pump first then this will in turn pump to a great distance across the field.

I was trying to make it extract from a slow flowing stream.
    2nd time a few meters of 3/4 pipe primed with water flowing downhill was enough to get the pump to work.

Used home made wire mesh filter in plastic bottle attached in hydrodare pump work here in the past.

Was the 3/4 pipe normal guage black agricultural pipe?

The videos I've seen feed the water in with a galvinised pipe or a rigid sewer pipe - I was wondering if alkathene pipe would be OK to feed in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Bringing back an old thread here. Anyone successfully using solar to pump water? I’ve a small well that I could use for water for the cattle. No access to electricity. A solar pump would be ideal but paying thousands seems extreme for a small job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes using few different pumps, can be put together for a few hundred depending on how many cattle you need to supply or how far/high you need to pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I am using this in a 24 volt version for the last 4 years. Have it connected up to a 60 litre pressure vessel and pressure switch (same as what you would have in a 230 volt system) works great. Have the fencer off it too. It's down around 120 foot in the well. Once I was happy with working I bought a spare pump and controller. Simple to hook up and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think it's grant aided in TAMS.

I'm using the 12V version, I've had a pump fail this year, took it apart and the water had gotten in where it shouldn't, but that's a common problem for submersible pumps. It's still a cost effective solution though.

It does my job well anyways. Great pressure at the cattle drinker. I have it close to well. No problems yet apart from batteries, I normally use 2 old car batteries and I would get a year or 2 out of them. Granted the max amount of cattle that would be there at any one time would be 25 stores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Put in a solar pump last year and it has worked very well.the main advice I d give is put in a storage tankat the highest point in your system and let that be your battery.batteries only have a time in them whereas the tank is a lifetime job

If it's the same requirements as what I have (grazing march to November) Keep it simple. No storage tank needed. March to may & Oct to November cattle will need dam all water as the weather will normally be wetter. This time of the year there is plenty of sun light to keep the solar panels going. A 150 gal + drinker is all you need

I think we are all using solar pumping in slightly different ways and I'm sure they all have pros and cons. If I remember correctly @K.G. you have a much larger water requirement and your system suits the unique topography of your farm (there are no real high points on any of my farm blocks).

My setup is more like @Theheff but I'm using ICB tanks and float switches with a battery. The battery is important as it also keeps the electric fences going as these are remote farm blocks, I'm also using remote monitoring of the water supply so the battery is also needed for that too.

The ICB's give an extra 1000L of water as backup in case of failure which gave me a little extra piece of mind, which was more important when I was working away from home during the day, it's also a simpler plumbing setup and ICB's and the float switches are cheap.

@Sugarbowl we have no idea of your particular requirements, but a simple DIY solar water pump will cost €100's not €1000's to feed a couple of drinkers close to your well. The FIL has a pump from https://solarpumpsolutions.ie/ which was expensive but it provides water to a much larger area with many drinkers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

thanks for suggestions. I only need it to supply water to a few cattle so was thinking going direct from well to a water trough for a start. Something simple. The well is old. Good clean water though. Can’t say how deep. 20ft maybe. Something to get me out of a corner as currently drawing in water to those fields and it’s a dose.

Just a general question.30 1-2 year olds how much water would they need in these kinda days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They'd drink 50 liters a day I'd say, last time we had to draw water to incalf heifers a group of 50 needed two ibcs a day in hot weather

You will need a pressure vessel and pressure a switch. Unless you are going to hang around to turn on and off the pump to keep trough full.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The water issue whose seed was sown here in 1994 is on the agenda again and I’d welcome any advice people on this thread might have re solar pumps.

The farm is a long rectangular shape, all in one block. Around 80 acres. We have a shallow/surface well and electric pump at one end and this does most of the fields. However there’s a few fields at the far off end that are approx 700m from this pump. Maybe 20m higher but not more than that. At the moment, there’s 50-ish calves up there, but there might be 50-ish cows there in 2 years time.

There’s another well and electric pump at the far up end and that serviced the fields since my grandfather’s time. But when the farm was split between my father and his brothers, that well/pump went with it. My uncle and myself shared it up to last year but sharing has gone out of fashion now apparently. So I need to get water up there somehow.

My head is a little flustered about it all to say the least but I think these are some options:

* Sink new well and get new ESB connection up there. Cost here would be approx €6k based on other work I did recently

* Pump water from existing well on lower side to an IBC tank about half way up and then install solar pump to get it the rest of the way. Probably lowest cost?

* Sink new well at far up end and get submersible solar pump to pump it to fields. Costs = €3k for well and €1.5k for solar pump?

Any suggestions or other ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Whats involved in remote monitoring. I'd love to set up a system where I could run the electric pump o nly when the reservoir goes below 50%.

A ibc linked to your existing well and a Ballcock at top to have it filling during day/night , then get fittings for bottom valves and plum in a variable speed wash down pump into it, then plum this into your existing water system, that will drive water no bother to high point of farm, we are pumping water here to higher end of farm over 50 meters of a climb and 1km to furthest trough, if you do get into cows you'll need the wash down pump anyways for the parlour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks a million.

You have the ibc tank beside your well, is it? Or is it t-ed in someplace further on towards the higher end of the farm and then the wash down pump drives it the rest of the way?

Thanks again

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Using a 5000 litre old milk tank here, it's not actually well feed used to be alright before we put in 2 solar pump systems, it catches the plate cooler water and is fed by the solar pumps during the day to have water to pump during the night to cows/parlour wash-up

Place your ibc wherever is handiest re power-supply/well location and connecting it up to existing water system, the beauty about the vari-speed pump when water troughs are full it shuts of automatically and when water troughs are been emptied it cuts in automatically, has a safety feature if ibc is emptied and no water available to pump it shuts off aswell to stop it burning out

My monitoring has grown into a farm wide network and water monitoring is part of a network consisting of Gateway nodes and sensor nodes.

But for a simpler one off setup a Raspberry Pi Zero or even a more basic microcontroller with a 4G modem module could be programed to send notifications via Telegram or other messenger/notification service when water drops below 50% and/or turn on the pump as needed.

For the sensors I am using Sonar type distance sensors, but I think I'll go with LiDAR in future as echos in tanks cause some false readings, of coarse if you only need to know water dropped below a certain level there are simpler options like a float switch.

Advertisement