Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumping water using solar

Options
  • 31-05-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all, is anyone pumping water using solar? If so would ye be able to advise what set ups ye have? Make + size of pump, solar panel etc?

I'm thinking of setting one up if I can. I'm on a scheme that runs on gravity flow but I have no water in three fields that are circa 80 foot above the nearest water trough. Dont know how to put the system together but thinking of purchasing the following:
    https://northstarsprayers.ie/12v-diaphram-pumps/northstar-nsq-series-12v-on-demand-diaphragm-pump-7-0-gpm-60-psi-max.html

Plan to run this off a deep cycle battery and 100watt solar panel (I have this and a charge controller already). Questions I would have if anyone could help:
    1. Will this pump be suitable? Idea would be that this pulls the water either directly from the Gravity flow water pipe or alternatively from a water trough
    2. Should I be using a pressurised cylinder also or would this work pumping direct to trough's and cut in and out even when the lift is 80ft?

If anyone has suggestions on how I can set this up please share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,083 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How far are the fields from the water source?

You could look at a series or solar Archimedes screws to raise the water into a series of canal type structures and then pump from these into the fields on demand.

I believe this is what is used in some third world countries

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I am in a similar situation myself except from a deep well. Out farm with no ESB & only used for summer grazing. Solar would be very handy but from research the setup costs seem quite high & the uncertainty of there reliability I am hesitant to go down this root so I am pricing an ESB connection. If it is not too costly then I will go this root.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

GreeBo wrote: »
    How far are the fields from the water source?

You could look at a series or solar Archimedes screws to raise the water into a series of canal type structures and then pump from these into the fields on demand.

I believe this is what is used in some third world countries

Its not that far at all, its just 120 metres but about 80ft uphill. The other two fields that dont have water would be about 60ft uphill so I could use the trough at the top field as a reserve to feed the other two fields if needed. Hoping the pump would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not a farmer, and Not sure what your water source is, but if it's a stream you have access to, in certain scenarios an hydraulic ram pump can be an option, powered by the water hammer effect so no need for electricity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do you need to run a fencer as well?

http://www.solarpumpsolutions.ie/solar-powered-pump-products.php?ID=10

I know they had to increase the size of the solar panel on a farm near me, there was about 100 yearlings being watered on it last summer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Not a farmer, and Not sure what your water source is, but if it's a stream you have access to, in certain scenarios an hydraulic ram pump can be an option, powered by the water hammer effect so no need for electricity.

I'm on a group scheme that's gravity fed, 3/4 inch pipe down through the farm so no option to install a ram pump.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Do you need to run a fencer as well?

http://www.solarpumpsolutions.ie/solar-powered-pump-products.php?ID=10

I know they had to increase the size of the solar panel on a farm near me, there was about 100 yearlings being watered on it last summer.

Any idea what pumps and internal components they use in this set up? Effectively this is what I'm looking to put together but hoping to do it on the cheap.

Ger1987 wrote: »
    Any idea what pumps and internal components they use in this set up? Effectively this is what I'm looking to put together but hoping to do it on the cheap.

Sorry I don't know, what is your budget like? I think the basic one is 1200, incl the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hi all, is anyone pumping water using solar? If so would ye be able to advise what set ups ye have? Make + size of pump, solar panel etc?

I'm thinking of setting one up if I can. I'm on a scheme that runs on gravity flow but I have no water in three fields that are circa 80 foot above the nearest water trough. Dont know how to put the system together but thinking of purchasing the following:
    https://northstarsprayers.ie/12v-diaphram-pumps/northstar-nsq-series-12v-on-demand-diaphragm-pump-7-0-gpm-60-psi-max.html

Plan to run this off a deep cycle battery and 100watt solar panel (I have this and a charge controller already). Questions I would have if anyone could help:
    1. Will this pump be suitable? Idea would be that this pulls the water either directly from the Gravity flow water pipe or alternatively from a water trough
    2. Should I be using a pressurised cylinder also or would this work pumping direct to trough's and cut in and out even when the lift is 80ft?

If anyone has suggestions on how I can set this up please share.

Will that pump even lift the water 80ft? If it's designed for a sprayer then I'd doubt it.

The issue with all of these on demand 12v pumps are meant for sprayers or camper Vans and are unlikely to pump the water as far or as high as you want.

Maybe if you had an IBC with ball valve located beside lower drinker and used a submersible well pump to pump the water. Most of these don't have built in pressure switches so you would need a separate pressure switch or other means of controlling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Would it not be simpler to stick with know technology? A diesel/petrol pump, stick it in a trailer and with big water troughs run it twice a week?
    Solar, will it work after a few winters? It could be nicked as easily as a petrol pump and there is a fair bit unknown about them.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Will that pump even lift the water 80ft? If it's designed for a sprayer then I'd doubt it.

The issue with all of these on demand 12v pumps are meant for sprayers or camper Vans and are unlikely to pump the water as far or as high as you want.

Maybe if you had an IBC with ball valve located beside lower drinker and used a submersible well pump to pump the water. Most of these don't have built in pressure switches so you would need a separate pressure switch or other means of controlling it.

Its quoted at 60 PSI so it should lift 80ft, I would be more worried about weather it would cut back in to start pumping again when you have 80 foot height of water in the outlet pipe. Anyways, dropped the company an email so I'll let you know what they say. Here is a similar pump equipped with a pressurised tank. https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Water-Pump-Accumulator-System/dp/B076JHCCBH

If these dont work then I'll look into a 12 volt version of submersible water pump and pressurised tank setup.

Anyone running solar setups on their farms?

Odelay wrote: »
    Would it not be simpler to stick with know technology? A diesel/petrol pump, stick it in a trailer and with big water troughs run it twice a week?
    Solar, will it work after a few winters? It could be nicked as easily as a petrol pump and there is a fair bit unknown about them.

Might be an option but I would have around 50 one to two year olds in the paddock at a time so I would want fairly big water troughs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Its quoted at 60 PSI so it should lift 80ft, I would be more worried about weather it would cut back in to start pumping again when you have 80 foot height of water in the outlet pipe. Anyways, dropped the company an email so I'll let you know what they say. Here is a similar pump equipped with a pressurised tank. https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Water-Pump-Accumulator-System/dp/B076JHCCBH

If these dont work then I'll look into a 12 volt version of submersible water pump and pressurised tank setup.

Anyone running solar setups on their farms?

If you are sure it will lift the water that high over that distance then you could always use it without the pressure switch (if pressure switch dosen't work)and use a big tank or IBC buffer tank then let it run manually while checking cattle daily.

I'm giving water to 12 weanlings using a 12v submersible pump and an IBC, I fill it once a week and run it off the tractor power outlet it fills the IBC in less than 10 min. Obviously you've more cattle but if you have a solar panel / battery there you could just switch on daily while walking up to check them and turn off when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm on a water scheme (gravity fed) where i pay for the amount of water I use. Reading some of these they will only pump circa 20% of the water therefore wasting the other 80% so this unfortunately wont work for me. It might be an option for lads with a river running past their farm that they can dam up to create a feed into the ramp pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi all, Just to let you know I that I looked up the maps to see the height of the hill on my ground versus the intake point for the water for the water scheme I'm connected to, Both are at the same height although circa 3 miles apart). With this in mind I got a role of piping at the weekend to see how far up the hill I can get with the water without using any pump. I was presently surprised to find that the water was flowing up at the top of the hill although probably less than half the flow compared to where I connected in the pipe. In any case with big enough water troughs it looks like I will be able to install the water network without any solar pumps.

Thanks for the advise in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The diameter of your pipe is important, to lessen drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I went down the solar root after for my well. Bought a 24volt submersible pump with controller & solar panels. Very impressed so far. Have it hocked up to a 60litre pressure vessel with pressure switch to control the pump. Plan to connect fencer up to it next.

Water John wrote: »
    The diameter of your pipe is important, to lessen drag.

Yes water John, unfortunately the water scheme only allows a 1/2" connection, this is stepped up to 3/4" currently. I used 1/2" to try it going up the hill but when I install it properly I'll use 3/4"

Theheff wrote: »
    I went down the solar root after for my well. Bought a 24volt submersible pump with controller & solar panels. Very impressed so far. Have it hocked up to a 60litre pressure vessel with pressure switch to control the pump. Plan to connect fencer up to it next.

Theheff, fair play to you, would you mind putting photos up of your set up and where you bought the various parts, I'd say there would be a lot of people on here very interested in the setup.

• Advertisement

The size of the connection allowed doesn't matter, it's only at half inch for a few feet. If you saw the little opening inside the meter, you'd be amazed.
    Not sure of the length and the rise you have and what draw you'd have, but the investment in a larger diameter pipe is really worth considering, inch or inch and a quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I have just built a ram pump using 11/2" fittings,there is not much of a fall in the river but it is 2 to 3 feet deep with a good flow.
    Not sure if it will work even with 4" pipe feeding it
    Hope to install at the weekend.

Maybe I need a mill wheel!

Love to know how you get on with that.

The size of the connection allowed doesn't matter, it's only at half inch for a few feet. If you saw the little opening inside the meter, you'd be amazed.
    Not sure of the length and the rise you have and what draw you'd have, but the investment in a larger diameter pipe is really worth considering, inch or inch and a quarter.

There is 3/4 inch going through one side of the farm already, Originally I was thinking of T'ing into this with a run a circa. 530 meter's covering four new drinking troughs and looping it back into the 3/4 pipe that is there already further down the field, that way water could flow in either direction in order to fill the troughs. Would this be good enough? Its €0.20c/meter more for Inch pipe so I'm thinking of putting this into the new section in order to future proof it. I could put down another 150 meters of Inch and bring the connection direct from water meter, would it be worth the extra investment? Wont be Dairy cows drinking here, only about 70 1 to 2 year old cattle.

There is 3/4 inch going through one side of the farm already, Originally I was thinking of T'ing into this with a run a circa. 530 meter's covering four new drinking troughs and looping it back into the 3/4 pipe that is there already further down the field, that way water could flow in either direction in order to fill the troughs. Would this be good enough? Its €0.20c/meter more for Inch pipe so I'm thinking of putting this into the new section in order to future proof it. I could put down another 150 meters of Inch and bring the connection direct from water meter, would it be worth the extra investment? Wont be Dairy cows drinking here, only about 70 1 to 2 year old cattle.

Put in the biggest concrete troughs you can get, let that be the reserve if you want to use 3/4 pipe. I would have mobs of sucklers of 70-80 together and some troughs did come under pressure last summer. I'm on a mains supply and pressure is good. All 3/4 pipe here to troughs off a 1 inch main.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Love to know how you get on with that.

I tested the ram pump on Saturday,I have 500mm of 4"pipe feeding an 11/2" ram pump.
    There is no fall in this river but 2 to 3 feet deep with a fairly good flow.
    Pump did not work as not enough pressure going to it.

I took it to another stream with a small waterfall and it worked fine
    I had no pressure gauge but when I opened the valve water shot upwards from it.

Back to the drawing board with the first location to test what can he achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Sorry to hijack the thread OP but I'm looking at putting in some sort of rainwater harvesting system on a small bit of land -10 acres. Anyone any recommendations? I haven't much research done on it yet to be honest. Tanks. (See what I did there......)

blue5000 wrote: »
    Put in the biggest concrete troughs you can get, let that be the reserve if you want to use 3/4 pipe. I would have mobs of sucklers of 70-80 together and some troughs did come under pressure last summer. I'm on a mains supply and pressure is good. All 3/4 pipe here to troughs off a 1 inch main.

Four 300 gallon troughs going in so their will be a good reserve there. That will get water to eight paddocks that didnt have water in them before.

Ger I wouldn't redo the 150M unless there comes a need. Remember a one inch pipe takes four times the water of a half inch pipe. So three quarters falls in between and could possibly double your water supply if you get stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

feartuath wrote: »
    I tested the ram pump on Saturday,I have 500mm of 4"pipe feeding an 11/2" ram pump.
    There is no fall in this river but 2 to 3 feet deep with a fairly good flow.
    Pump did not work as not enough pressure going to it.

I took it to another stream with a small waterfall and it worked fine
    I had no pressure gauge but when I opened the valve water shot upwards from it.

Back to the drawing board with the first location to test what can he achieved

Pasture pump?

Advertisement