Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

rob316 wrote: »
    He's 34 he doesn't have the legs for that position anymore, they brought in Rhodri to replace him. He's 5ft nothing too so the notion he can play CB is far fetched

Fernandinho is 1.76m (5ft 8") which is the same height as one of the greatest CB's of all time Franco Baresi and 1cm taller than B'allon D'or winning CB Fabio Cannavaro.

With Fernandinho's skills and experience I'd say he'd do just fine in the role and give either Stones or Otamendi some calm experience beside them which they both seem to need and receive from Laporte this year before his injury and from Kompany in years gone by.

Umaro wrote: »
    Found on twitter:
    atCc9ny.png

Good sample size for the Stones-Otamendi pairing as well. That injury to Laporte is going to cost them over the next few months. I'm not sure if we'll be able to pull away from them, but it'll stay competitive anyways.

Stones looks like the problem child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

How do people see us lining out later? I know some might disagree with me, but I would be willing to sacrifice dropped points tonight with a rotated team, if it meant having a fresh team for Sunday. Probably won’t be rotated much though by Klopp.

Start either Gomez/Lovren for Taa/Matip
    Don’t risk Robertson so start Milner/Gomez
    Start Lallana for Gini
    Bring in Shaq for Salah or Mane
    Ideally give Fab a rest but can’t see him doing it

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He's 34 he doesn't have the legs for that position anymore, they brought in Rhodri to replace him. He's 5ft nothing too so the notion he can play CB is far fetched

I wasn't thinking about CB for him, although he played there before and done grand.
    I think that he would be better sitting in front of Stones and Otto that Rodri is from a defensive perspective and breaking things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think we could see something like

Adrian
    Milner Matip VVD Gomez
    Hendo Fabinho Gini
    Salah Firmino Mane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Klopp and Hendo's presser for tonight - Klopp in great form, can't wait, feels like it could be a good marker of progress a year on from the shambles last time they played there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How do people see us lining out later? I know some might disagree with me, but I would be willing to sacrifice dropped points tonight with a rotated team, if it meant having a fresh team for Sunday. Probably won’t be rotated much though by Klopp.

Start either Gomez/Lovren for Taa/Matip
    Don’t risk Robertson so start Milner/Gomez
    Start Lallana for Gini
    Bring in Shaq for Salah or Mane
    Ideally give Fab a rest but can’t see him doing it

I think it'll be

Adrian
    TAA, Matip, VVD, Robbo
    Henderson, Fabinho, Milner
    Salah, Bobby, Mane

If Robbo is a doubt then Milner or Gomez in for him. If it's Milner then Ox on the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we play our usual formation and team then we take the defeat and move on, seems silly. Napoli don't lose games at home. Should crowd midfield, play for the 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

54and56 wrote: »

Fernandinho is 1.76m (5ft 8") which is the same height as one of the greatest CB's of all time Franco Baresi and 1cm taller than B'allon D'or winning CB Fabio Cannavaro.

With Fernandinho's skills and experience I'd say he'd do just fine in the role and give either Stones or Otamendi some calm experience beside them which they both seem to need and receive from Laporte this year before his injury and from Kompany in years gone by.
    Sure it doesn't matter who they replace him with, if anybody.. They are still favourites to win the title and could remain unbeaten for the rest of the season even conceding an average of 1.5 goals per match. They can simply outscore any team. The Norwich result was an aberration like Liverpool at Watford last year. It's a two horse race. The rest are nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

chicorytip wrote: »
    Sure it doesn't matter who they replace him with, if anybody.. They are still favourites to win the title and could remain unbeaten for the rest of the season even conceding an average of 1.5 goals per match. They can simply outscore any team. The Norwich result was an aberration like Liverpool at Watford last year. It's a two horse race. The rest are nowhere.

Watford last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't think tonight's result really affects our chances of qualifying for the knockouts but it'd be really nice to qualify as early as possible so we don't have to worry about those winter games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

54and56 wrote: »

Cant wait to see how his constant persistent fowls work out when he is operating a lot closer to goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Robertson is available after training this morning

........ Napoli don't lose games at home. Should crowd midfield, play for the 0-0

To be fair they don't play the European champions that often, we have every reason to respect them but every right to hope for the 3 points too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First three games

Napoli 2 - 0 Sampdoria
    Juventus 4 - 3 Napoli
    Fiorentina 3 - 4 Napoli

plenty for the attack to go at, could be a good ding dong but in truth both sides know that if they are sensible (even split the H and A spoils) they'll both qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think a point would be a very good result tonight seeing as how much trouble they caused us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

losing 3 away group games last year and still qualifying suggests a draw tonight would be perfectly acceptable

A draw and no injuries would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It would show that we have something different about us, that we could win such a game as this on the break 0-1 while playing for a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Just on the City defender issue...

John Stones is out for the next 4-5 weeks.

Otamendi and Fernandinho it is then.

• Advertisement

Have City any tough game after a CL game coming up? As in game 3 in a gameweek, as it's the tiredness at the back that could hurt them too, given Fernandinho's age and having to play every game now.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    losing 3 away group games last year and still qualifying suggests a draw tonight would be perfectly acceptable

Yeah especially now with the luxury of being in Pot 1, not to take Genk and Salzburg too lightly but it should be a relative breeze to qualify from this group

group.jpg

FitzShane wrote: »
    Have City any tough game after a CL game coming up? As in game 3 in a gameweek, as it's the tiredness at the back that could hurt them too, given Fernandinho's age and having to play every game now.

Away to Ukraine tomorrow night and then playing a Watford team that just showed us they know how to exploit a shaky defence on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Hot take: We will batter them. If you are scared of going there and winning, then you are a snivelling coward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

City fixtures next 5 weeks, league games bolded.

UCL Shakhtar Donetsk (A)
    PRL Watford (H)
    LEC Preston North End (A)
    PRL Everton (A)
    UCL Dinamo Zagreb (H)
    PRL Wolverhampton (H)
    PRL Crystal Palace (A)

UCL Atalanta (H)
    PRL Aston Villa (H)

Shame we're not playing them during this run, though it does seem that City are more likely to screw up against "lesser" teams than to those in the Big 6.

If they drop more points during this run then the decision not to replace Kompany is going to seem very foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Poor Pep I hope he gets 2 new centre backs for Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd say Pep bait the head off him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Massive blow for them. They're very very light in the CB department

Dickerty wrote: »
    I'd say Pep bait the head off him...

I heard he claimed him in front of the lads and then started pucking the head off him while Benjamin Mendy wept on his knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It would show that we have something different about us, that we could win such a game as this on the break 0-1 while playing for a result.

The result we will play for is an away win. We don't do passive very well without Alisson so we just go and win games instead, an adaption working well so far.

Liverpool had to play 7 or 8 games last January & February with Fabinho, Milner & Henderson all playing in defence. 5 of them were league games. Rafa Camacho & Hoever also played there, and even Firmino for a few mins!

No harm for City super expensive and massive squad to get stretched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I heard he claimed him in front of the lads and then started pucking the head off him while Benjamin Mendy wept on his knees.

Everyone knows if you claim a lad you have to settle it behind the bike shed ffs, oh sorry you didn't go to school in Ireland of course.

garra wrote: »
    Everyone knows if you claim a lad you have to settle it behind the bike shed ffs, oh sorry you didn't go to school in Ireland of course.

I didn't. Sorry, I got it wrong lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have a feeling Napoli will just edge this in a 4 - 3 triller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Speak Now wrote: »

Watford last year?
    ... or maybe not. I recall a similar capitulation. 2017/18 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have a feeling Napoli will just edge this in a 4 - 3 triller.

Could be alright, Napoli continue to play very exciting attacking football.

Ideally it will be a dull encounter, 3 goals for us in the first half, take the sting out of the game, the lads can sit and not expend too much energy in the 2nd half. Not asking too much, am I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

... or maybe not. I recall a similar capitulation. 2017/18 maybe?

Or maybe you’re posting rubbish again. Hope there’s no problem highlighting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool had to play 7 or 8 games last January & February with Fabinho, Milner & Henderson all playing in defence. 5 of them were league games. Rafa Camacho & Hoever also played there, and even Firmino for a few mins!

No harm for City super expensive and massive squad to get stretched!

No need to mention that though. Bottle this, bottle that, innit?

Nearly got it right - Milner not Gini

Liverpool:

Adrian,
    Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson,
    Fabinho,
    Milner, Henderson,
    Salah, Firmino Mane,

Subs: Kelleher, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Gomez, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaqiri.

Bad luck Rhian but good news for Kelleher, he is ahead of Lonergan :)

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think it'll be

Adrian
    TAA, Matip, VVD, Robbo
    Henderson, Fabinho, Milner
    Salah, Bobby, Mane

If Robbo is a doubt then Milner or Gomez in for him. If it's Milner then Ox on the middle.

Called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Oliver named ref for the Chelsea game.

I am going to the pub for the match tonight. I am going to sit on a big barstool and have the time of my life. Wish me luck.

Christ, I've switched off RTE two already - listening to the build up on 5live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I am going to the pub for the match tonight. I am going to sit on a big barstool and have the time of my life. Wish me luck.

Do ye not play Thursday nights these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fancy Liverpool to win tonight and don't get the fear of them by some. Last year's game is irrelevant.

We're going there as European Champions and in form.

Wrong thread, bucko! I'm a died in the wool Liverpool man. Now and for always.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wrong thread, bucko! I'm a died in the wool Liverpool man. Now and for always.

We believe you.

Honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Going in as European champions probably holds as much significance as last year’s game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It will be a rare pub that will put on Eastenders or Coronation street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Going in as European champions probably holds as much significance as last year’s game.

I think it gives the Liverpool players more confidence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement