Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted windows and insurance company

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

pippip wrote: »

Actually a good site. Was expecting clickbait written by an arts student for 10c per thousand words and no up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

HailSatan wrote: »
    Actually a good site. Was expecting clickbait written by an arts student for 10c per thousand words and no up to date info.

So was I

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I have a Ford S-max with factory tinted rear windows (very dark). I’m insured with RSA ( got a great quote).

When my wife’s Rav 4 came up for renewal RSA would not even quote her as she’s an aftermarket tint on her rear windows.

The mad thing is the factory tint on the s-max is a lot darker than the RAV4 but no problem there as it’s factory fitted.

The main reason we have tinted windows on the cars is for the kids in the back (but yes we do also think it looks a bit better).

The secret insurance stats and their infallible interpretations don't lie man. You're a hooligan with no kids. You're living a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

I wasn't sure the two boys could see each other. They are both lashing out as gospel stuff that contradicts the other, but they don't care as long as the person asking awkward questions about insurance is put back in his box.

Or maybe...just maybe, there could be more than one reason why insurance companies don't like aftermarket mods in general, not necessarily just tinting.

Anyway, ask all the questions you like - I pay enough for my insurance too and want it to come down. But in this case, I see tinting as a reasonable factor for them to use.

• Advertisement

Or maybe...just maybe, there could be more than one reason why insurance companies don't like aftermarket mods in general, not necessarily just tinting.

Anyway, ask all the questions you like - I pay enough for my insurance too and want it to come down. But in this case, I see tinting as a reasonable factor for them to use.

But the stats don't lie and those that interpret them are infallible. But they don't agree with each other? Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I wonder could it or has it got to the point where putting on a set of good top drawer winter tyres could invalidate your insurance as they are not factory spec (Brand/Model), not talking about changing rim sizes etc.

I could understand a cheap set of Chinese ditch finders being a risk/liability though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Whats their problem with non standard audio

They don't have a problem with the audio as such, it is more that the type of driver who has non-standard audio gear is more likely to be a boy racer type and likely to speed more and do more risky driving than some basic paddy spec driver who isn't even too sure what model their car is.

They don't have a problem with the audio as such, it is more that the type of driver who has non-standard audio gear is more likely to be a boy racer type and likely to speed more and do more risky driving than some basic paddy spec driver who isn't even too sure what model their car is.

People whose factory radio broke or it didn't have bluetooth or mp3 are more likely to crash?

Couldn't we make the world a safer place by improving the quality of standard head units so that they never broke and had up to minute features leaving the factory? Insurance companies really are killing people by not feeding this info back to authorities and manufacturers.

macchoille wrote: »
    I wonder could it or has it got to the point where putting on a set of good top drawer winter tyres could invalidate your insurance as they are not factory spec (Brand/Model), not talking about changing rim sizes etc.

I could understand a cheap set of Chinese ditch finders being a risk/liability though.

They don't have a problem with the tyres as such, it is more that the type of driver who has non-standard tyres is more likely to be a boy racer type and likely to speed more and do more risky driving than some basic paddy spec driver who isn't even too sure what model their car is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Insurance companies don't care about valuables on show. They care about you not being able to see your surroundings properly.

They can however refuse to cover you if you leave your laptop lying on the seat and the window gets smashed and it is taken. You'd get covered though if it was in the boot or even the glove box

Insurers might even consider expensive premium tyres a higher risk than chinese ditch seekers because they type of driver to spend big money on a consumable like tyres is probably more likely to drive faster and be more risky than a mammy who goes into a tyre place and says "give me 3 of cheapest tyres money can buy!" (3 because the 4th still has half a mm of thread left.")

Insurers might even consider expensive premium tyres a higher risk than chinese ditch seekers because they type of driver to spend big money on a consumable like tyres is probably more likely to drive faster and be more risky than a mammy who goes into a tyre place and says "give me 3 of cheapest tyres money can buy!" (3 because the 4th still has half a mm of thread left.")

They don't have a problem with the tyres as such, it is more that the type of driver who has non-standard tyres is more likely to be a boy racer type and likely to speed more and do more risky driving than some basic paddy spec driver who isn't even too sure what model their car is.

So by the logic of some posters, the fact I have a phone holder attached to my windscreen could invalidate my insurance because if I added something to my car, I must be a high risk driver.

So by the logic of some posters, the fact I have a phone holder attached to my windscreen could invalidate my insurance because if I added something to my car, I must be a high risk driver.

They don't have a problem with the phone holder as such, it is more that the type of driver who has a phone holder is more likely to be a boy racer type and likely to speed more and do more risky driving than some basic paddy spec driver who isn't even too sure where their phone is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not a great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bit tinfoil hat there lads. Big Insurance are going to get me for having Pilot Sport 4's on my 110hp Golf...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Bit tinfoil hat there lads. Big Insurance are going to get me for having Pilot Sport 4's on my 110hp Golf...

It's not so much the boy racers as the parents with kids

It's not so much the boy racers as the parents with kids

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Well this is painful to say the least.

Our theories obviously don't stand up to your knowledge of actuarial science.

• Advertisement

What do you mean?

The stats will reveal all

The stats will reveal all

I wonder why the insurance industry has never published detailed statistics of claims though. It may be I missed it and someone can point me to them.

I wonder why the insurance industry has never published detailed statistics of claims though. It may be I missed it and someone can point me to them.

I like the freaknomics kinda vibe of these stats indicating that people who purchase second hand cars with poor spec or broken radios become more likely to crash having upgraded them, and thus for the sake of road safety there should be minimum standards both for features and longevity of the factory radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

What stats have you seen?

Many, I've written many process control routines in my time.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    But you can frame the question or remove "outliers" to get any answer you want

Don't forget the saying. "There's 3 types of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics"

Very, the RSA are masters of this, particularly when it comes to motorbike surveys (though I guess young male drivers will be next):

How often do you drive above the speed limit?

a. every day
    b. twice per day
    c. three times per day etc etc. :mad:

TBH I doubt if stereo modding counts for a whole lot with insurance profiles, but as an aftermarket accessory it would make potential claims for damage and theft interesting etc etc. They do this with bikes all the time, it's not so much the performance gained from the part, it's the increased desirability and replacement costs, my 2c.

bladespin wrote: »
    Many, I've written many process control routines in my time.

What relevant stats have you seen

What relevant stats have you seen

What process are you interested in?

What process are you interested in?

A relevant one

A relevant one

They're all relevant if someone's willing to pay to have it done :), maybe elaborate a little on what you want to find out from your survey and I can help?
    What are you trying to measure? What controls are in place? What attributes are beyond your current control?

They're all relevant if someone's willing to pay to have it done :), maybe elaborate a little on what you want to find out from your survey and I can help?
    What are you trying to measure? What controls are in place? What attributes are beyond your current control?

Nobody but you brought this up. You are in the wrong place if you use theft statistics from the insurance industry for process control.

Relevant insurance stats. What insurance stats have you seen that are relevant to this thread.

• Advertisement

Nobody but you brought this up. You are in the wrong place if you use theft statistics from the insurance industry for process control.

Don’t remember saying I do.

Relevant insurance stats. What insurance stats have you seen that are relevant to this thread.

well ok then, approx 1% of posters will read a sarcastic comment about how insurance companies monitor risk and completely misinterpret said comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement