Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relief milking

• 28-05-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Well, Going at relief milking for summer and wondering what rates to chargr for different herd sizes. Have 4 years experience milking cows and different parlours so well prepared. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

PLW17 wrote: »
    Well, Going at relief milking for summer and wondering what rates to chargr for different herd sizes. Have 4 years experience milking cows and different parlours so well prepared. Thanks all.

30/50 euro per milking seems going rate ,where are u based

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PLW17

mahoney_j wrote: »
    30/50 euro per milking seems going rate ,where are u based

Thanks, I'm in waterford but can travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

If I was to go relief milking, I'd be charging 40 plus 5 per quarter hour over 2 hours. That's from the time you get out of your car to the time you get back in. The herd size is irrelevant imo, its the time taken to milk that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If I was to go relief milking, I'd be charging 40 plus 5 per quarter hour over 2 hours. That's from the time you get out of your car to the time you get back in. The herd size is irrelevant imo, its the time taken to milk that counts.

True, lad that does a few milking for me was telling me he went to a farm a few weeks ago at half 2 and left after half 6 on a Sunday evening. No amount of money could pay you for that.

Thanks for info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Lads labouring are getting 15 to 16 an hour and scaffaldors 18

Unless you have a serious gra for cows/it works well for you timewise with split shifts etc.....kinda hard to justify it

_blaaz wrote: »

Unless you have a serious gra for cows/it works well for you timewise with split shifts etc.....kinda hard to justify it

Yes I see where you are coming from but this is only a summer thing and I considered construction and have not got courses done for it so will have to stick with cows for the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

PLW17 wrote: »
    Thanks for info!

I charge 60 for the first 2 hours and then €20 an hour after that. Myself personally I don’t want to milk herds any bigger than 200 cows on my own. Too many things to watch in a big herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is it handy to get informal milking work, without going through FRS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

PLW17 wrote:
    Yes I see where you are coming from but this is only a summer thing and I considered construction and have not got courses done for it so will have to stick with cows for the minute

Safe pass would cost 110e and manual handling another 50e odd I'd say,

might be the best money you ever spent. If you can get full time work at 15e an hour it would pay better weekly then milking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

15 home or minus taxes

Jb1989 wrote: »
    15 home or minus taxes

Is cash in hand an option that many use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Danzy wrote: »
    Is cash in hand an option that many use.

All through FRS here. €40 cash for a milking is €60 after tax paid. So same as FRS with insurance cover for inhibitors which you won't get with cash.

All through FRS here. €40 cash for a milking is €60 after tax paid. So same as FRS with insurance cover for inhibitors which you won't get with cash.

I was thinking about being on the receiving end, have several mornings free.

Was thinking about the insurance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Safe pass would cost 110e and manual handling another 50e odd I'd say,

might be the best money you ever spent. If you can get full time work at 15e an hour it would pay better weekly then milking

So if you could get two herds a day to milk 6 days a week you'd have €600 for 4 hours work a day excluding travel and work on buildings for 8 hours a day for €120 a day, can you explain how it would pay better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So if you could get two herds a day to milk 6 days a week you'd have €600 for 4 hours work a day excluding travel and work on buildings for 8 hours a day for €120 a day, can you explain how it would pay better?

Its unsocialble hours though at milking to contend with

If your milking two herds....realistically your starting 5am and doing very very well to be finished before 8pm and alot of weekend work aswell

Ya,you'll have few hours off during day...but unless you have serious love for milking cows....it cant compete with labouring on building sites

Any half decent young person to work labouring,could pick themselves up.an apprenticeship.aswell through contacts made etc on site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What would you pay a friend for milking around 100 cows taking 2.5-3 hrs. Doing everything from bringing them up out of the field to back out again after. It's someone that I know well and we do a bit of back and forth favours year round. It's only been a few odd milkings over the summer. so taking that into consideration what would ye suggest a fair offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

50 per milking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

A farmer has to pay travel expenses, are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

A farmer has to pay travel expenses, are you for real?

?????? Might want to read it again there, chief. This time with your glasses on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

_blaaz wrote: »

Surely €15/18 hr is about right though. Its what would be considered semi skilled work and in manufacturing that’s paying €15/18 depending on company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

?????? Might want to read it again there, chief. This time with your glasses on...

Oops, I’m loosing it ;)

Advertisement