Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Query

Options
  • 14-09-2019 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone know if revenue/banks will let me use 6 months of accounts when applying for a mortgage?

My income is higher in 2019 than it was in the past 2-3 years so if i wanted to buy a house now i could get a bigger mortgage if i used my most recent 6 months.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Your employer will have to fill out a form and state how much you earn. Your pay slips just back it up really. If they ask for 1year statements they will ask why your wages changed.

Your employer stating that you have a guaranteed income per year of x amount is mainly what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Zenify wrote: »
    Your employer will have to fill out a form and state how much you earn. Your pay slips just back it up really. If they ask for 1year statements they will ask why your wages changed.

Your employer stating that you have a guaranteed income per year of x amount is mainly what they are looking for.

Sorry i should have said i'm self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I'm not self employed so I dont know the process. I did have a complicated application and I had a good broker that helped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Self employed mortgages use an averaged income over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

If it's only in the last 6 months then it won't be part of your tax returns yet, your year end accounts are what the bank will be looking at, unfortunately saying you earned more in the last 6 months won't really have a bearing, many self employed people have seasonal incomes, most of their years wages could be earned in a short period of time.
    Definitely engage a mortgage advisor who has experience of self employed mortgage applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Self employed mortgages use an averaged income over a period of time.
    So would i be able to use the first 6 months accounts of 2019 and the previous 24-30 months or will bank look for year end accounts only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The bank will ask for your Notice of Assessment which comes from your Income Tax return when it is filed. As mentioned already, plenty of businesses have seasonal work. You could have a terrible 6 months / lose your main contract. The bank will only look at what you have officially submitted to Revenue.

They will also look for tax clearance and a letter from your accountant confirming all is in order. After that they will average your earnings over 3 years, due to the potential volatility of being self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Yea.. And the potential to window-dress if it's a cash business.

Advertisement