Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silverstone 2020

Options
  • 24-08-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Without thinking through the logistics, my brother in law convinced me to buy a ticket for Silverstone next year :) . Can any one offer some advice on transport and accommodation arrangements ?

thanks,
    Jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

foobar wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Without thinking through the logistics, my brother in law convinced me to buy a ticket for Silverstone next year :) . Can any one offer some advice on transport and accommodation arrangements ?

thanks,
    Jimmy

I've been 3 of the last 4 years. Driven and parked every time, which is expensive on it's own at £50 per day but got a weekend ticket which includes parking for 2020. Never had any issues getting in or out apart from 2018 when there was a bad accident which held us up for an hour after the race. It's generally well planned out. Park and ride is also an option but have seen loooooooong queues for the buses after grands prix.

Accommodation wise, the closer to the circuit you are the more expensive it will be. If you are driving, Warwick & Wellingborough are a handy distance away. We've stayed in both of those places & on the Sunday morning left early to avoid traffic. That means you also get to see the support races which start from around 9am and enjoy the entertainment in the F1 Village

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bhoyobhoy19

I'm thinking of going to,would be my first race,
    Are the camping sites good craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Campsites were good craic when I was there in 2010. Eddie Jordan was playing on stage with his band. Then on Sunday night they had the world cup on the big screen. We got the ferry and drove. Campsite facilities were excellent.You parked your car beside your tent and there was gravel driveways between the rows of tents. It was all very well organised. I had only been used to camping at music festivals before that so was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Camping is great. Eddie Jordan does his set every year I think. Saw him this year anyway. There’s a little festival village with 2 main tents and another stage. There are also free shower blocks in the main village.

The best thing about it is the organised festival area means the actual campsites are reasonably quiet. Plenty of people sitting out cooking and drinking but no big parties while you’re trying to sleep. Bring earplugs though.

You can bring your own food and booze into the track. We drove and did a big Tesco shop so we had food and booze for the whole weekend. French toast for breakfast, hotdogs, snacks etc for daytime at the track and various tinned food for dinner. So we didnt need to pay event prices for food and booze all weekend. That all depends on your budget though.

If money’s not an issue, you could bring yourself and a tent and buy all the rest at the track and in the village. Lots of variety (event food).

The track entertainment is good to. Apart from the village entertainment, there are gigs at the tack main stage on Friday and Saturday night. I couldn’t recommend it more highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Looking at prices now,what about tickets
    Is general admission any good,stand tickets fairly expencive

• Advertisement

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Looking at prices now,what about tickets
    Is general admission any good,stand tickets fairly expencive

General admission tickets are grand. Really not bad. They vary from good to shyte and it all depends on how early you get to the spot you want. So If you pick your preferred spot over the weekend, and get there for 7/8 am on race day, you’ll be grand.

It a along time waiting so if you can bring camping chairs, I’d strongly recommend it (if you're driving by ferry) This year we had stand tickets so we were free to get hammered on sat night, sleep in and rock up to the track at 12. But all the best general admission spaces would be long gone by then.

It's really not necessary to get the expensive tickets. General admission is fine but you need to be organised to get your spot early.

General admission tickets are grand. Really not bad. They vary from good to shyte and it all depends on how early you get to the spot you want. So If you pick your preferred spot over the weekend, and get there for 7/8 am on race day, you’ll be grand.

It a along time waiting so if you can bring camping chairs, I’d strongly recommend it (if you're driving by ferry) This year we had stand tickets so we were free to get hammered on sat night, sleep in and rock up to the track at 12. But all the best general admission spaces would be long gone by then.

It's really not necessary to get the expensive tickets. General admission is fine but you need to be organised to get your spot early.

Yea I know what you mean,early to bed on the Saturday night so,think I'll go with the ga tickets,what stand did u go to or which is the best one?

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Yea I know what you mean,early to bed on the Saturday night so,think I'll go with the ga tickets,what stand did u go to or which is the best one?

I've only got experience of one stand so I couldn't say which one is best. We went with Village. It's the first heavy breaking zone after the pit straight so there's a bit of action there and at the next turn. It has a great view of both so we saw some overtaking including a lot of battling between Max and Leclerc.

You'll be grand with General admission and there are loads of good spots because most of the track has some GA space. I sat at Stowe GA in 2014 and would recommend it. And I'm sure lots of others would recommend other paces. But you can spend Friday and Saturday scoping your spot. It's always a good point of debate between the group as you mill about the track.

I've only got experience of one stand so I couldn't say which one is best. We went with Village. It's the first heavy breaking zone after the pit straight so there's a bit of action there and at the next turn. It has a great view of both so we saw some overtaking including a lot of battling between Max and Leclerc.

You'll be grand with General admission and there are loads of good spots because most of the track has some GA space. I sat at Stowe GA in 2014 and would recommend it. And I'm sure lots of others would recommend other paces. But you can spend Friday and Saturday scoping your spot. It's always a good point of debate between the group as you mill about the track.
    Thanks for the info

Advertisement