Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance for private use

Options
  • 21-02-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm looking to change my car to a van to use for private use(not for work and tools). I'm with liberty insurance and they say they don't insure vans for private use. Is there any other companies that do insure vans for private use? And if so is it much more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I have my van insured as a private vehicle with Allianz. It's not ridiculously expensive. Previously I was insured with FBD but they started to push the price up. Give them both a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I use Axa, but with them a few years at this stage. not sure if they take on new business in that category. I try to shop around each year at renewal time but majority of the companies out there will not quote on a crewcab van for non commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LooSea

Jp1506 wrote: »
    I'm looking to change my car to a van to use for private use(not for work and tools). I'm with liberty insurance and they say they don't insure vans for private use. Is there any other companies that do insure vans for private use? And if so is it much more expensive?

How did you get on? I've been thinking the same thing - I'm usually on my own in the car with the back full of hobby-related bits and bobs and I'd love a van. I've been asking for quotes on a caddy maxi, but haven't managed to get a quote below €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

LooSea wrote: »
    How did you get on? I've been thinking the same thing - I'm usually on my own in the car with the back full of hobby-related bits and bobs and I'd love a van. I've been asking for quotes on a caddy maxi, but haven't managed to get a quote below €1000.
    Well Im not going to be trying to get insured on a van until march when my car policy is up. Just trying to get some insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jp1506 wrote: »
    Well Im not going to be trying to get insured on a van until march when my car policy is up. Just trying to get some insight.

Probably be easier to buy an estate car that has easy to fold down rear seats.

You'll end up paying private tax on the small van anyway if you are not a registered business.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement