Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For a "normal" person, if you do happen to have a spare million quid knocking about, you might not want to take the risk of putting it all in the one basket. If you have tens of millions of your own money, or a million quid of the Bank's money, you won't care so much about the risk.
    There's no risk if it's a guaranteed profit!

But that's the point.
    It's not guaranteed, it's not that easy, hence we're not all millionaires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    That's exactly what I described. :confused:
    And like I said, there are no HAP properties. You can't build houses for HAP.
    So that's unlikely to be what it is.

No you said it's a form of social housing.
    You can build a group of houses and contact the housing authority re HAP and they will snap your hand off. Doesn't matter they aren't "HAP properties", they can easily be built with the view of renting them via the HAP scheme.

This has zero bearing on your original claim of it not being profitable.
    And if have the capital the only obstacle to making a profit, it would be easy to get a loan.

Genuinely confused by this sentence.:confused:
    I'm not sure what your point is. I'm aware the council buy private houses.
    That doesn't mean a developer can offload to the council for guaranteed profit.

That's very different to what you said previously. Nothing in life is guaranteed, my point is that you can get very good money by selling properties to local authorities and of course make a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's no risk if it's a guaranteed profit!

But that's the point.
    It's not guaranteed, it's not that easy, hence we're not all millionaires.

Surely you understand basic risk diversification? i.e. "Don't put all your eggs in the same basket"

If all you have is one-million, don't put it all into the same thing whether that be houses or bank shares or shares in Microsoft.

If you have access to the capital, and spread it around, it substantially reduces the risk.

The man has capital. Fair play to him. Suppose he has 30m in the bank. And suppose you have 300k in the bank. Him investing 1m in those houses would be the same risk as you investing 10k. (And to be honest, that isn't strictly true as your risk appetite is probably less than his. What I mean by that is that you might have less capacity to absorb a 50% or 5k loss than he has to absorb a 500k loss). He's not being Mother Theresa because he invested in some houses (possibly with tenants lined up and organized through government schemes). He is right to invest his money though. It's exactly what he should be doing.

Ush1 wrote: »
    No you said it's a form of social housing.
    It is a form of social housing. :confused:
    HAP Fact sheet
    The very first sentence says;

"HAP is a form of social housing support provided by all local authorities."
    You can build a group of houses and contact the housing authority re HAP and they will snap your hand off. Doesn't matter they aren't "HAP properties", they can easily be built with the view of renting them via the HAP scheme.
    No you can't. You can't offer HAP properties to the council. They don't place tenants. They have nothing to do with renting them out.

"HAP recipients must find their own accommodation in the private rented market".
    That's very different to what you said previously. Nothing in life is guaranteed, my point is that you can get very good money by selling properties to local authorities and of course make a profit.
    As I explained. I'm aware it's possible to sell to the council for a profit.
    That's not the same as speculatively developing council properties.

I think I the horse is flogged to death at this point.

It is a form of social housing. :confused:
    HAP Fact sheet
    The very first sentence says;

"HAP is a form of social housing support provided by all local authorities."

Social housing support does not equal social housing.
    No you can't. You can't offer HAP properties to the council. They don't place tenants. They have nothing to do with renting them out.

"HAP recipients must find their own accommodation in the private rented market".

They will often try and find places for people on the homeless list if people complain they can't find accommodation.

Again, this all has no relation to the profitability claim made by you.
    As I explained. I'm aware it's possible to sell to the council for a profit.
    That's not the same as speculatively developing council properties.

I think I the horse is flogged to death at this point.

I said:

"I wonder though is he selling the houses to the council or renting the houses out under the HAP scheme?"

You said in reply:

"Social/Affordable house isn't really profitable."

It clearly can be profitable.

Building for profit is speculation to some degree, again, as is any other business venture. It's not a very complicated concept.:confused:

The phrase "Isn't really profitable" doesn't precisely mean "can't ever make a profit".
    You're intelligent enough to understand the difference. So I think we can leave it there.

The phrase "Isn't really profitable" doesn't precisely mean "can't ever make a profit".
    You're intelligent enough to understand the difference. So I think we can leave it there.

So what was the point you were making then?:confused:

I said I wonder is McGregor is selling the houses to the council or going to take on tenants via the HAP scheme, both ventures can easily turn a profit as opposed to a completely altruistic venture like gifting someone a house(no profit).

it's not confined to being a complete giveaway or a profit driven business. There is a middleground.
    But I said that above.
    And I don't see the point in continuing to go in circles, so I'm done.

it's not confined to being a complete giveaway or a profit driven business. There is a middleground.

Hence I said:

"Nothing wrong with that, people need homes and businesses need to make money"

Again, not sure what you're trying to add?

My comment was how it was being framed on social media.

If Johnny Ronan or Donald Trump were posting that I can imagine them being torn to shreds as to how they were only doing it for their own ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ush1 wrote: »
    If Johnny Ronan or Donald Trump were posting that I can imagine them being torn to shreds as to how they were only doing it for their own ends.

Oi! Feck off including me in with that Ronan fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Looking for ways fight is back, Erik Silva's brother looks a beast.

Artem Paulie presser starting now in a few

https://www.fite.tv/watch/bkfc-6-press-conference/2ownf/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Classy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Paulie still going on about Conor and the sparring session. Artem talking first and saying nothing about Paulie was a bit foolish on his part, left himself open to all Paulies abuse then when he had the mic. Will be interesting to see how it goes down if/when they get in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's a very large black dude at the back of all that..
    I know it's highly unlikely but I'd love Artem to absolutely starch Paulie in the first few minutes.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Classy

Scumbag, that big nose of his will get broken.

Artem's hands looked broken after his bareknuckle fight.

I know that he said they weren't but they way they ballooned up like that... usually indicates a facture. I saw a picture of him last week and again .. looked like i'd expect a month removed from a bad break. Swolen back of the hand and his last two knuckles not visible at all from a clenched fist.

Is BKFC properly sanctioned, like with announced & enforced medical suspensions ?

Posted it in the McGregor thread but I'll throw it here aswell, just watching this on Gaethje. Very good short doc. I still can't get over him not using his wrestling considering how good he is. Short clip at the end of his first amateur fight, He got it after agreeing with his wrestling coach to keep his gpa up in return for a fight after meeting rashad and a few more lads in the gym and wanting to fight. He goes in with 0 technique and hit two monster slams on the lad. Well worth the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Paddy Holohan topped the poll in Tallaght earlier and was elected as a councillor to South County Dublin council:

https://twitter.com/KennyAKE/status/1132697195562569728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolutely beaming for Paddy, seems like a genuine guy who would be passionate about fighting for the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Absolutely beaming for Paddy, seems like a genuine guy who would be passionate about fighting for the locals.

Free houses for 10000 homeless people he wants great fella

So was it his coaches fault for Mayweather as well then?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1135022170885754881?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So was it his coaches fault for Mayweather as well then?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1135022170885754881?s=19

Maybe. Or maybe he's contemplating going to a boxing club to train for a boxing match. Or maybe he's never boxing again but it's a good way to have people talk about him. Who knows?

• Advertisement

Anyone in the know, know if Conor is heading to the Artem Paulie fight? BKFC guy said he's welcome (of course he is) but i see Conor going to jail if he attends. Either he jumps in to fight paulie after Artem gets wrecked or he celebrates a bit too hard with Artem and ends up in a treehouse.

BT got the WWE rights, I wonder will Sky for the UFC rights when there up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ASOT wrote: »
    BT got the WWE rights, I wonder will Sky for the UFC rights when there up.

Wow, that's a big acquisition for them. WWE and Sky have been together forever. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Sky go for UFC at this point.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Wow, that's a big acquisition for them. WWE and Sky have been together forever. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Sky go for UFC at this point.

Don't see the value in it for Sky with 99% of UFC happening at 3am. Would love to see a few big European ppvs. I'd happily pay to watch live at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Paulie is such a numbskull when it comes to anything outside of boxing or talking about boxing. Anyone who's spent any degree of time in Brooklyn or Long Island will have met dozens of loudmouth greaser Italian-Americans like Paulie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Where can I watch the GOAT v Paulie :) I won't be staying up late to watch however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Where can I watch the GOAT v Paulie :) I won't be staying up late to watch however.

eirsport 2

Great, a record job. thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Great, a record job. thanks...

Have Bareknuckle, Ufc and Bellator all set to record. Watch them sunday morning. Lovely.

Hope its better standard than the uk one however some decent lads there, Jimmy Sweeney doing well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Hope its better standard than the uk one however some decent lads there, Jimmy Sweeney doing well there.

Last bkfc was a great. Some right dust ups
    . Watch the undercard too. 5 x 2 min rds if i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What time's the Artem fight? and where can one watch this televisual feast

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What time's the Artem fight? and where can one watch this televisual feast

Eir sport 2 at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

ASOT wrote: »
    Eir sport 2 at 2am

Cheers

Suprised nothing mentioned in here about McGregor banging out an old man in the marble arch. Just hearing it on bispings podcast

• Advertisement

Suprised nothing mentioned in here about McGregor banging out an old man in the marble arch. Just hearing it on bispings podcast

It's a story from back in April..it was discussed back then at the time..for what little there was to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Was it released what it was that Sugar Sean got popped for?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Was it released what it was that Sugar Sean got popped for?

Ostarine

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/06/sean-omalley-pulled-ufc-239-traces-banned-substance-show-in-drug-test

Usada deemed it was trace results from past time and he won't be sanctioned.

hit/ slapped a man in his 60's / OAP 'cos he didn't care for McGregor's 2-day bender noise in his pub

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4122723/conor-mcgregor-accused-slapping-oap-free-pint-snub/

hitting an auld lad is not far off hitting a woman really imo

imagine your dad or grandad in his late 60's was slapped by a 30-year old mma fighter

mark of a scumbag, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

mcgregor bought a house down the road i live on. hope he isn't too noisy. :pac:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/conor-mcgregor-buys-home-of-former-taoiseach-s-son-for-over-2m-1.3958364

Mod: Not MMA related..moved to the correct thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Thesiger

Anybody here tried the whiskey? Any use?

Advertisement