Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a caution mean the DPP case is closed?

Options
  • 14-04-2021 10:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

So three years ago I got in trouble for prescription forgery. I was taken to the station and asked to sign a form and then subsequently went on my way.

After retrieving some FOI notes from my consultant psychiatrist who contacted Gardai for an unrelated matter, I saw that the superintendent responded "Mr X presented a forged script. This criminal matter is currently under investigation".

That was four months after the arrest and caution. Does that mean that the file is closed or can I still be brought to court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Are you sure you got a caution and not police bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

So three years ago I got in trouble for prescription forgery. I was taken to the station and asked to sign a form and then subsequently went on my way.

After retrieving some FOI notes from my consultant psychiatrist who contacted Gardai for an unrelated matter, I saw that the superintendent responded "Mr X presented a forged script. This criminal matter is currently under investigation".

That was four months after the arrest and caution. Does that mean that the file is closed or can I still be brought to court?

The word ‘caution’ could mean different things, and it is not clear from your post which is at issue here.

The fact it’s been three years, and given the personal circumstances you have indicated I would guess the matter was dealt with either informally, or by way of adult caution. Note the principle of an adult caution is that it is ‘once off’ - so important for anyone lucky enough to receive one to avoid any reoccurrence of offending.

Advertisement