Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

a 1 man taxi business doesn't need one because they are not providing dispatch services for somebody else. the company I checked do provide dispatch services and I couldnt find them on the checker.

I will let the authorities see if they have a dispatchers licence or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

pgj2015 wrote: »
    are reviews not supposed to come from people not a generic cafe dublin city etc?

im not sure how you can prove the reviews are fake but every one of them are, the person who runs the sites told me.

No, some entity has left a review for another entity, that's it, there is basically nothing more to it. Whether someone actually puts any credence on that review is down to the individual.

Proving a review isn't from another entity is almost impossible and even if you could, what would it achieve?

It sounds like this person has setup a website to create an online presence that can be sold to other companies without as good a presence, you might not like it, but the issue probably is you don't like that this person has done it rather than anything actually illegal.

Just say someone contacts him/her and orders a limo. he/she turns up, drives the passenger somewhere, then as he/she is mentally unwell, kills the passenger.

Hmmmmmm, tricky one, would depend on a few things, how much I'm being paid up front to give the Opinion etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

But to operate as a limo driver in Ireland you need a spsv licence, so is it illegal for this person to be interacting with potential customers when they have no such licence? The customers are emailing him/her about trips, he/she is passing on details of other legit limo operators.

what this person is trying to sell is not a legit business, it is just a web site.

So they’re subcontracting out to drivers who I assume have the license rather than employing drivers themselves, nothing wrong with that.

So they’re subcontracting out to drivers who I assume have the license rather than employing drivers themselves, nothing wrong with that.

There is if they don't have a dispatchers licence.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    No, some entity has left a review for another entity, that's it, there is basically nothing more to it. Whether someone actually puts any credence on that review is down to the individual.

Proving a review isn't from another entity is almost impossible and even if you could, what would it achieve?

It sounds like this person has setup a website to create an online presence that can be sold to other companies without as good a presence, you might not like it, but the issue probably is you don't like that this person has done it rather than anything actually illegal.

say I want to open up a hotel but not now, in 5 years time. is it ok that I set up a web site 5 year previously, give fake reviews in that 5 years. Then when I am ready to start the business, I have a web site that says I am in business 5 years, all 5 star reviews even though it never exited. That cant be right can it? I don't mean morally but some law is being broken somewhere, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

say I want to open up a hotel but not now, in 5 years time. is it ok that I set up a web site 5 year previously, give fake reviews in that 5 years. Then when I am ready to start the business, I have a web site that says I am in business 5 years, all 5 star reviews even though it never exited. That cant be right can it? I don't mean morally but some law is being broken somewhere, no?

No, I could set up a website for any business real or imaginary, I could create reviews till the cows come home, it doesn't mean anything, if these reviews and site are enough to attract business now, genuine reviews will soon follow, if the business does not meet the marketing, bad reviews will follow.
    In 5 years time if I do actually open a business all I have is an existing online presence that could have been generated with some basic online marketing knowledge pretty quickly anyway.

I think some snake oil salesman has shown you this site, told you how great it is and you believed ever word, its a website with fake reviews, that's all it is. Give some first year CS student a few quid and they'll give you a WordPress site to rival it.

Snotty wrote: »
    No, I could set up a website for any business real or imaginary, I could create reviews till the cows come home, it doesn't mean anything, if these reviews and site are enough to attract business now, genuine reviews will soon follow, if the business does not meet the marketing, bad reviews will follow.
    In 5 years time if I do actually open a business all I have is an existing online presence that could have been generated with some basic online marketing knowledge pretty quickly anyway.

I think some snake oil salesman has shown you this site, told you how great it is and you believed ever word, its a website with fake reviews, that's all it is. Give some first year CS student a few quid and they'll give you a WordPress site to rival it.

I don't think so. The opposite actually. I was just curious as to what they are up to. trying to drum up business, they may be a wizz at computers but they have a lot to learn about business. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The link you posted specifically says that a dispatcher licence isn't required to take bookings for limos.

seamus wrote: »
    The link you posted specifically says that a dispatcher licence isn't required to take bookings for limos.

Limos was just used as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Someone sets up a web site for we will say a limo service. This person doesn't own or operate a limo business. Then after a year of giving their site fake reviews. Try to sell the site to legit limo businesses in the town or city?

A bit like politics I suppose!

'I'll do this and I'll do that' but does nothing after being elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A dispatch operator is a person who provides a service for taking bookings for SPSV services that are delivered by someone else, or who provides a service that enables intending passengers to arrange the hire of an SPSV.

The Consolidated Taxi Regulation Acts 2013 and 2016 give NTA the function to regulate and license dispatch operators.

Persons who wish to provide SPSV booking services are required to obtain a dispatch operator licence from NTA.

This requirement does not apply to booking services for limousines.

It is a criminal offence to operate without a current dispatch operator licence. A conviction for this offence attracts a penalty of up to €50,000.

If the person doesn't have a dispatchers licence it is a matter for the NTA.

What are we arguing here?

Limos was just used as an example.

Are they advertising Limousines or Taxis/|Hackneys, 2 different scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But to operate as a limo driver in Ireland you need a spsv licence, so is it illegal for this person to be interacting with potential customers when they have no such licence? The customers are emailing him/her about trips, he/she is passing on details of other legit limo operators.

what this person is trying to sell is not a legit business, it is just a web site.

Is it illegal for budget travel to sell holidays when none of their staff have pilots licenses?? You need a spsv license to drive a limo/taxi, not to work on the booking office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

“This requirement does not apply to booking services for limousines.”

Did you miss this part of the blurb about the dispatchers license??

you can check them here but you do need to know the business name they registered under

https://www.transportforireland.ie/getting-around/by-taxi/check-a-licence/
    Thanks, that was very useful. as I suspected, they aren't registered as a dispatcher.
    yeah I wouldn't be too sure on that. I tried it with my local taxi company and it didn't come up.

You need to be very sure of what name they are trading under
    e.g Search for Dial A Cab, won't show as having a dispatch license however search under G&F TAXIS LTD T/A DIAL A CAB and they have a valid dispatch license

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It does, but the business names are very similar to exiting business names in the area as well.
    That is what is known as passing off. If there is an existing business called "Longford Limos" and I set up "Longford's Limos" and compete against them, I am operating on their reputation, which is a problem. They can make me stop and sue for loss of income.
    seamus wrote: »
    You only need the SPSV licence to drive a limo, not to run a limo business. That's my understanding anyway.
    SPSV dispatchers also need a licence.

Victor wrote: »
    That is what is known as passing off. If there is an existing business called "Longford Limos" and I set up "Longford's Limos" and compete against them, I am operating on their reputation, which is a problem. They can make me stop and sue for loss of income.

SPSV dispatchers also need a licence.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi/dispatch-operator-licensing/
    This requirement does not apply to booking services for limousines.

Though any company passing on requests for limousine service would probably be advised to keep a record of whom they passed on the request to, as they would need to be licensed etc. to provide the actual service

Advertisement