Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Ah come on, they're after putting up a 9.5hr week contract!

https://isw.changeworknow.co.uk/centerparcs/vms/e/careers/positions/bzDBqM465fBBTlt5DCSNyg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

vargoo wrote: »

It says part time at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

9.80 an hour with a contract of 9.5 hours a week, which is flexible over 4 weeks. Quality employment opportunity right there.

9.80 an hour with a contract of 9.5 hours a week, which is flexible over 4 weeks. Quality employment opportunity right there.

No it’s not but it’s a part time cleaning job in an area that has little industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nice profit margins straight away. Cheap labour for top dollar facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

salmocab wrote:
    No it’s not but it’s a part time cleaning job in an area that has little industry.

Crap excuse for poor contracts tbh.

Exactly, theirs no need for what they are doing, I'm not even sure where the flexible part exists in that either, they're telling the hours (unpaid break?) and days??

Are these zero hour (effectively) contracts not under some government review? Thought I read they were or is it in the UK?

I don’t get this yes they are crap contracts but they are part time cleaning jobs. If they can’t fill the positions they’ll come back with better. It’s surely supply and demand, like all those short hour contracts that are unfortunately quite common with including zero hour that some places use I presume they will actually give out more hours but that’s the base amount per month.

salmocab wrote: »
    I don’t get this yes they are crap contracts but they are part time cleaning jobs. If they can’t fill the positions they’ll come back with better. It’s surely supply and demand, like all those short hour contracts that are unfortunately quite common with including zero hour that some places use I presume they will actually give out more hours but that’s the base amount per month.
    Take off the blinkers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Was only a few weeks ago you were giving out that the hours wouldn't suit working mothers.

• Advertisement

Exactly, theirs no need for what they are doing, I'm not even sure where the flexible part exists in that either, they're telling the hours (unpaid break?) and days??

Are these zero hour (effectively) contracts not under some government review? Thought I read they were or is it in the UK?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/law-banning-zero-hour-contracts-to-come-into-force-in-march-893410.html

Banned from Mar1.

I'll need to dig up actually wording, probably not worth a damn if these guys are advertising this job.

Useless politicians.

Graham wrote: »
    Was only a few weeks ago you were giving out that the hours wouldn't suit working mothers.

And?

You need to read back anyway.

Take off the blinkers.

Blinkers? Do you post about every job with crap pay and hours? I don’t understand why people expect center parcs to pay more. Is it because they are a big company or foreign? What do you want from them?

There's no mention of zero hours contracts in the ad you linked to.

It's a part time position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Good news for all - we should all be hoping Center Parcs is a massive success:

"The sheer size of the Center Parcs Longford Forest scheme currently under way near Ballymahon has caused the price of an average property in the county to rise by 21.1pc in the past year."

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/driving-up-values-properties-around-center-parcs-soar-37946914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We went to Center Parcs Longleat last August. 3 adults + 3 kids (2,3,5).
    We ferried across from Rosslare to Pembroke.
    We had a 4 bed house for 10 nights.
    We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly - kids loved it. The pool area is suberb. My only complaint is that the night life is almost non existant. Nobody around after 10pm.
    We're going again in July. Center Parcs Longleat is next door to Longleat Safari (monkeys on your car roof etc.) and the kids loved the day out there last year.

I'm looking forward to Longford opening.

marvin80 wrote: »
    Good news for all - we should all be hoping Center Parcs is a massive success:

"The sheer size of the Center Parcs Longford Forest scheme currently under way near Ballymahon has caused the price of an average property in the county to rise by 21.1pc in the past year."

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/driving-up-values-properties-around-center-parcs-soar-37946914.html

Say that to anyone renting!

I know 1 guy who decided to move after 7 years living there due the second massive increase in a few years.

No one working there will ever be able to afford their own place.

No locals will ever be allowed in to the place, unless they pay to stay or know someone staying.

Prices to stay are insane, testing the spending ceiling limits of the stupid Irish, cheaper to go to England/elsewhere and stay there.

Good news for a small few who own their own home in the area and are looking to sell and those with money who piled in a few years ago and bought up alot of cheap places and are waiting to rent rape.

Yeaaaaaa, roll on August!

The area has had some of the highest unemployment and lowest property prices/rents in the country for almost a decade.

What you're complaining about is a result of jobs being created and money being invested. Many people would view that as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

Jobs being created! Get your facts straight before posting bull****.the jobs that are being created are 18 hours a week at minimum wage.

hondar wrote: »
    Jobs being created! Get your facts straight before posting bull****.the jobs that are being created are 18 hours a week at minimum wage.

There will be plenty of jobs created by this overall. Yes mostly low paid but they are the type of jobs that are low paid elsewhere. The hours will be more than advertised as they are just minimum. I really don’t see the issue with this it’s jobs created in an area that badly needs them.

• Advertisement

hondar wrote: »

Do come back and tell us all when you've invested more and created more jobs in Longford.

salmocab wrote: »
    The hours will be more than advertised as they are just minimum. I really don’t see the issue with this it’s jobs created in an area that badly needs them.
    A guess + sounds great, you go to work (probably forced as they seem to have a connection to some social welfare job scheme) for a few crap badly paid hours and whoops sorry, you cant go home we're busy, you have plans/second job, tough, not happy don't come back.

Not a guess^^ over 2500 deleted reviews on indeed laid out in great detail the type of place it is.

The amount of sour grapes on this thread is unbelievable.

One of the largest investments into Longford creating hundreds of desperately needed jobs and bringing tourists to the region and a few people are cribbing because property prices are beginning to edge towards realistic/sustainable levels, wages are on a par with most other tourism/service industry businesses, and prices for a family stay aren't the same as Mosney in the 60s.

Now we're concerned because someone on social welfare might get a job?

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Mrs tells me the price of this place for a week is same for all inclusive in festival village in Salou, and that's with flights.... Roll on Spain...

Graham wrote: »

Bizarre.

Deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Deluded

What exactly are you looking for?

They'll create low paid jobs for students and people looking for part time work. There'll also be some spin off for the businesses in Ballymahon and the wider area, which might incentivise some of them to up their game.

I'm not aware that anyone was ever promised or expected more than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Their staff turnover is over 30% pa consistently, that tells me enough.
    I hope it's a success but having looked at their pricing I was gobsmacked

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Their staff turnover is over 30% pa consistently, that tells me enough.
    I hope it's a success but having looked at their pricing I was gobsmacked

A lot would be seasonal I would think. It is expensive but I’d think they’ve done their homework and if not it will quickly enough find it’s level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Pretty amazing to see the condescending attitude towards the development in this thread. This should be seen as a really positive development that will, probably for the first time ever, give people a reason to actually go to Longford rather than just pass through it on their way to where they actually want to go. Personally I've never once visited Longford for any reason other than because the road passes through it or I was going to a GAA game there. But we might visit Center Parks sometime for a short break and maybe try the local pubs and restaurants in the area while we're there.

The jobs being created are obviously not going to be high skilled highly paid jobs, it's cleaners and cooks they'll be after. I'm not sure why that's a reason for criticism but reading the thread you'd think people were expecting Center Parks to be rocking up with hundreds of degree level pharmaceutical jobs or something. It is what it is and it will have a significant positive effect on the local area. You are lucky to be getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

You are lucky to be getting it.

That's all good and great, but when you can take the kids away to bloody Salou for same money AND all inclusive, then that tells you something...

Advertisement