Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete over existing path (pics)

Options
  • 12-04-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

We've the below footpath which has seen better days. We wanted to replace it with paving but budget won't allow so for now we were thinking of just tidying it up.

I was going to put a new edge of treated timber and then just pour new concrete over the top but is this even feasible? The pictures show the worst of path and the rest is pretty much OK.

What other prep is needed? We only need it to last a year or so and then we'll sort it properly.

x6Lcv77l.jpg

4wHOUW1l.jpg

TMrK2Ual.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

You'd want to dig a good trench at least a foot wide and deep to make room for your timber. Make sure all existing moss/growth is treated. Powerwash after treatment. You will need to put down some steel to prevent cement cracking. Make sure you get the right concrete mix - fine aggregate. Also make sure you follow the slope away from the house (run horizontal timbers to get correct fall)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Also keep the new path surface below the damp proof course.

Let us know how you get on, I want to do somthing similer but just make mine wider.
    They are in good shape but sinking a bit (or sank sometime in the last 50 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd rent a consaw and cut back the broken inches remove it entirely and put soil in there.

Cheaper and less work than pouring entire new path.

I'd rent a consaw and cut back the broken inches remove it entirely and put soil in there.

Cheaper and less work than pouring entire new path.

I'd see no need to keep it as wide as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you are going to redo it in a year or then either do as lister suggested or just leave it, its a lot of, IMO, unnecessary grunt work

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

the problem is we've had a few falls & twisted ankles already with the damage that's there, plus the width is needed to be able to walk past the bins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

well then cut off the offending piece, dig a 400 mm deep trench out to the full width you want the path and fill it with 804, which can be used as base fo the paving when it comes.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

the problem is we've had a few falls & twisted ankles already with the damage that's there, plus the width is needed to be able to walk past the bins etc.

Move the bins. Genuinely put them somewhere else they are best of where they are between their final destination and door back door. They appear to be in the backyard in an area where dragging them out and back just creates unneeded hastle

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

What is the width of existing path ? Typical domestic paths around a house are 900mm or 1 metre.
    I certainly wouldn't be placing concrete on top of what's there at this stage.
    As already suggested, get someone handy with a consaw to cut a straight line and remove the areas that have failed.
    If remainder is fairly stable and good nick you could just concrete a strip to replace the removed portion or just gravel / topsoil for now.
    There should be a damp course in the house walls at floor level.
    Outside path level should be min 150mm below damp course level save for steps and ramps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Rear path is 1.5m and the sides/front are 1.2m and the bins are staying put (they only go out once a fortnight and we putting stuff in every few days so having them away from the kitchen/back door makes no sense to me).

Anyway thanks for all the replies, I've a few options to investigate for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Would this be possible over a tarmac drive.I've 600m2 which is getting holes in it and a build up of moss and weeds. Could I pour concrete over it.?

Would this be possible over a tarmac drive.I've 600m2 which is getting holes in it and a build up of moss and weeds. Could I pour concrete over it.?

Can you not just seal it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

blueskys wrote: »
    Can you not just seal it?

With what

With a tarmac sealer, like tarma seal

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not my specialty, but I expect pouring concrete over tarmac is a recipe for heartache. Tarmac is considerably more flexible than concrete, so even if you're not driving vehicles on it, the movement of the tarmac as temperatures go up and down will cause the concrete to crack. Then you you need to dig everything up and start again.

Advertisement