Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes as stalking?

Options
  • 13-04-2021 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

So my friend had this girl he wanted to chat up and met once during a conference. Didn't talk to her much but got her first name.

He searched her first name on Facebook/Snapchat and eventually found her. He also found another social media site she posts pictures on and was able to make out her phone number from one of the images.

He wants to give her a call to have a chat but I told him that's creepy and probably crosses the line into stalking.

He doesn't have any malicious intentions but I don't know whether that would make a difference or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

So my friend had this girl he wanted to chat up and met once during a conference. Didn't talk to her much but got her first name.

He searched her first name on Facebook/Snapchat and eventually found her. He also found another social media site she posts pictures on and was able to make out her phone number from one of the images.

He wants to give her a call to have a chat but I told him that's creepy and probably crosses the line into stalking.

He doesn't have any malicious intentions but I don't know whether that would make a difference or not.

It may not be enough to get him in legal trouble but it's certainly extremely creepy.

Creepiness aside; He meets a girl once, goes to great lengths to find a number for her and then calls her (out of the blue as far as she's concerned), it's highly unlikely to go well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tell him it's a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It may not be stalking legally but it sure as hell won't go down well.

According to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 (I forget which section)

The stalking/harassment has to be persistent.

He'll get away with one call or text, but anything more and he's moving from creepy into potential legal trouble.

According to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 (I forget which section)

The stalking/harassment has to be persistent.

He'll get away with one call or text, but anything more and he's moving from creepy into potential legal trouble.

Section 10

• Advertisement
Advertisement