Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail Gun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No use . It only fires 40mm nail. Thata too short for a slabed stud wall.

No chance a normal 18g mailer would work on a block wall. I have a air nailer designed for that and it struggles

I concrete screw mine on with small thin concrete screws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

So hire something more up to the task?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have traditionally plastered block walls (no plasterboard) and my skirting is attached with short nails, probably about 40mm long, they protrude maybe a inch behind the skirting. When I removed them I needed to use lots of leverage and wiggling, they were very secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are the architraves not fixed to the frames?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

Are the architraves not fixed to the frames?

Maybe I've phrased it wrong. As well as the skirting, there are two parts to the timber frame around the door. There are three parts (the reveals?) on the top and two sides that face inwards towards the door. They are fixed to timber that is fixed to the blocks. There are also three bits of timber (the architraves?) that face outwards towards the hallway. These are attached to the block wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Architrave is fixed to the door frame and then just stuck bonded to the wall with some tek7 or similar. There is no need to nail the architrave to the wall.

If you are fixing skirting to a block/brick wall, a second fix nailer isn't going to do it. Also the bottom of the wall is unlikely to be flat anyway. You are better to bond the skirting to the wall and use a limited number of screws to fix it to the brick/block. Depending on how you fix the skirting, it can mostly hold itself on especially in alcoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gripfill, screws and plugs is what I use for skirting. Coutersink holes and fill after, I find it the best fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Pod123

Looking at getting a nail gun to use on tongue and groove timber.
    Preferably dewalt make and air worked.
    What would ye recommend?
    Thanks

Advertisement