Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import VRT/Insurance Query

Options
  • 14-01-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting as have a query, these boards seem to be pretty good for answering 'stuff'. Hope I'm not being too much of a girl and posting in the correct motoring place!

I flew over to London a few days before Christmas and drove back home to Dublin through Holyhead same day/night with a car that I purchased over there privately. I booked it in for a VRT inspection with the 7 days, for the 13th Jan. The seller insisted on keeping part of the V5 book (the export bit) but when I got home, did a bit of research, I found that its much better to bring the whole thing to the VRT inspection, as then wont have to wait around for the Certificate of Export from the UK Gov. I explained to the seller that it's better that I have that document... he promised to post it to me but I haven't received it yet.

Have actually rebooked the inspection for a later date which pushes it outside of the 30 days in which it must be registered, while waiting on this document, plus ran into a bit of financial 'tightness' after Christmas (Ooops!), so won't really have the cash till the end of the month. I understand it's about 0.1% of VRT cost per day for days overdue. I was given temporary 28 day transfer of my insurance onto UK plates for while I have it here - but that is up in about three days.

My questions are:
    1. Is it likely that the insurance company will insure me for a longer period on the UK plates? I will pay if needs be.
    2. If I can't get the export part of the V5 book, will this throw up an issue on the inspection day?
    3. Out of curiosity, was the VRT you paid accurate to the government websites estimate?

For anyone who's interested: Went to the UK as was finding it tough to find the exact spec car model that I wanted. Its a 2015 Ford Fiesta Red Edition 1.0L Ecoboost 140BHP. And it is soooo lovely/fun to drive, so quick and handling is fab. The purr of the boost in the engine is beautiful and the speed for the size of the engine is a very pleasant surprise!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1. Only your insurance company can answer if they will continue to cover you but my understanding is that they are obliged to inform Revenue if the car is not transferred over to Irish plates after 30 days.

2. NCT require the V5c section of the logbook so you might be ok there but ring your local NCT centre and ask them.

3. The VRT calculator on the Revenue website is only a guide. It could be on the button, the real figure could also be less or more though. VRT calculator doesn't take into account late payment penalty charges. And they will look for the ferry ticket as proof of time of entry into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You don't need the export bit from V5C.
    All you need is first page - parts 1-8.

In relation to if your insurer will cover you for more than 28 day, you need to ask them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

He was correct to keep the export section I have vrt a few cars and seller always keeps that part will be no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

liam7831 wrote: »
    He was correct to keep the export section I have vrt a few cars and seller always keeps that part will be no issue

Actually it makes no difference, once the car is registered here the UK authority is informed that the vehicle has been exported, the cert of permanent export takes about 3 weeks to get issued if you don't have the full V5 and this can put many people over the 30 day limit.

Advertisement