Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Arghus wrote: »
    I've been guilty of this a lot and I can understand how people find it tedious, but to me it makes a competition a lot more interesting and involving if people get into why they voted a certain way. I like to read people's passion and a bit of back and forth, it livens things up and at the end of the day it's only meant in good spirit, but, it is also true that I genuinely can't fathom why some songs get picked over others.

I actually find it really boring just reading plain oul song title choices, without any sense about why people have voted the way that they do. I don't see much interest in that tbh.
    I've enjoyed reading your blurbs, even if I disagree with many of your choices.
    At this stage of the comp though, it felt like too many songs to come up with an individual bit on (for me).

Group G

I Am The Walrus vs Lady Madonna
    For No One vs All You Need is Love
    I Feel Fine vs A Hard Day's Night

Group H

The Long and Winding Road vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Yellow Submarine
    Ticket To Ride vs Get Back

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group G

Lady Madonna
    All You Need is Love
    I Feel Fine

Group H

The Long and Winding Road
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
    Get Back

Couple of really tough choices there, one because I love both songs, the other because I don't like either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group G

I Am The Walrus
    For No One
    I Feel Fine

Group H

The Long And Winding Road (Surprised myself picking this one...but gotta go for one of Paul's soppy numbers at least)
    Get Back ( very tough choice this. Love Ticket to Ride...can't believe I'm voting against it )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group G

Lady Madonna
    For No One
    I Feel Fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group H

Ticket To Ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group G

I Am The Walrus
    For No One
    A Hard Day's Night

Group H

Get Back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Group G

I Am The Walrus
    For No One
    I Feel Fine

Group H

Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Get Back

The Long and Winding Road is not a very good song, even in spite of it’s well known over-production. Happiness is a Great Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Group G

I Am The Walrus vs Lady Madonna - no contest here, Lady Madonna is a great tune but it's no Walrus
    I Feel Fine vs A Hard Day's Night - not much between these.

Group H

The Long and Winding Road vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun - TLAWR continues to plod on; HIAWG is a great little suite, more Donovan-inspired guitar and LSD inspired lyrics.
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Yellow Submarine - I'm not crazy on either of these; I've gone with Ringo.
    Ticket To Ride vs Get Back - both great, Get Back by a nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Group G

I Am The Walrus vs Lady Madonna
    I Feel Fine vs A Hard Day's Night

Group H

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Yellow Submarine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group G -

I Am The Walrus vs Lady Madonna: Lady Madonna is pretty great, but the out there banging weirdness of Walrus beats it all day long.

For No One vs All You Need is Love: For No One is one of McCartney's best, properly sincere and unusually bleak for him. AYNIL is, out of all the "big ones" that everybody knows inside and out, a bit comparatively weak. I've always found it a bit slapdash and unsubstantial. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily all that great either.

I Feel Fine vs A Hard Day's Night: Very close this one, but I give the vote to AHDN. It has more drive and energy, more sophistication and passion and it's a great Lennon McCartney collaboration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group G

I Am The Walrus
    vs Lady Madonna
    I Feel Fine
    vs A Hard Day's Night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group G

I Am The Walrus
    For No One
    Hard Day's Night

Group H

Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Ticket To Ride

Group H -

The Long and Winding Road vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun: TLAWR continues its slow inexorable soporific march to what now is beginning to feel like an inevitable eventual victory. It's a relatively boring song, smathered and lathered with a Phil Spector level of cheese.

HIAWG, on the other hand, is an exciting multipart opus which is consistently interesting, angular and weird. It's got great dirty riffs, nightmarish and poetically surreal lyrics and a warped falsetto finish. An while it may not all hang together as a coherent statement, the general mood it establishes of a feverish uneasiness is pretty damn effective and memorable.

Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds vs Yellow Submarine: I like Lucy, without being totally in love with it, but it has the edge over Yellow Submarine, which is definitely charming, but also a bit plodding, simple minded and dreary.

Ticket to Ride vs Get Back: This was a tough one, as both of these songs are excellent, I would have no issue with either going through, but I'd marginally favour TTR. Its changes of tempo, rhythm and mood work for me and I just like that dry guitar sound of that period. And all those hooks. I also think it has more meaning and feels actually about something. Get Back is great, but it is a bit of a pastiche with no real meaning. A brilliant pastiche, played brilliantly, but TTR feels realer to me. So it gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group H

vs Yellow Submarine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Arghus wrote: »

HIAWG, on the other hand, is an exciting multipart opus which is consistently interesting, angular and weird. It's got great dirty riffs, nightmarish and poetically surreal lyrics and a warped falsetto finish. An while it may not all hang together as a coherent statement, the general mood it establishes of a feverish uneasiness is pretty damn effective and memorable.

I don't agree with your assessment of HIAWG.:pac:

Below is how I described it in my recent Walrus.
    From the overrated, bloated and, I suppose, culturally significant and influential White Album, I guess I should bow down to its brilliance, but this is merely bang average fare. Sedated and mostly snail-paced, the lyrics are twaddle and Lennon's vocals are corny as hell. Mundane oldie that would have been a throwaway if it wasn't recorded for a double album by one of the greatest bands ever.

It's fair to say I'm not anywhere near as big a Beatles fan as you. :)

Reberetta wrote: »
    I don't agree with your assessment of HIAWG.:pac:

Below is how I described it in my recent Walrus.

It's fair to say I'm not anywhere near as big a Beatles fan as you. :)

All very fair points.

None of which I agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Through to the next round.

Group G
    I am the Walrus
    For No One
    I Feel Fine

Group H
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Get Back

Full line up for the next round.

She Loves You
    Day Tripper
    Hey Jude
    Nowhere Man
    We Can Work It Out
    I'm Only Sleeping
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Help!
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Back in the U.S.S.R
    Here Comes The Sun
    Eleanor Rigby
    Paperback Writer
    Blackbird
    Come Together
    In My Life
    Got to Get You Into My Life
    A Day in the Life
    I Am The Walrus
    For No One
    I Feel Fine
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Get Back

Next round will kick off around 20:00 or so this evening.

A few great songs there. I expect them to be promptly voted out.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »

I'm really pleased to see For No One getting this far. One of their far lesser known songs but imo one of their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ficheall wrote: »

Ask 100 people what Procul Harum’s “best” song is and 99, or even 100, will say ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ but anyone who’s a bit of an anorak knows it’s clearly either ‘Whaling Stories’, ‘A Salty Dog’ or ‘In Held ‘Twas in I’.

But none of those were hits that sold 10 million worldwide. It would be a shock if a “best” Beatles track wasn’t on either the red or blue “Best of” albums.
    I'm really pleased to see For No One getting this far. One of their far lesser known songs but imo one of their best.

A great song, one of the best on ‘Revolver’. One of those you never “skip” when it starts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not a single person mourned the exit of Yesterday, the most covered song of all-time if I'm not mistaken? Overplayed and the public have had their surfeit perhaps?

Not a single person mourned the exit of Yesterday, the most covered song of all-time if I'm not mistaken? Overplayed and the public have had their surfeit perhaps?

Paves the way for ‘Hey Jude’ to become the bookies favourite.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm sure the actual public would be outraged at some of the results, but we who are voting are a small minority of people who aren't afraid to vote against the most popular song in favour of the better song. Yesterday is a fine song, but its not even in the Top 20 greatest Beatles songs for me, so much better and lesser know songs on offer.

Yesterday and Let It Be both taken out in the last round ; would have been two of the bookies favourites to win I'd say. I'm glad to see some of these Goliaths get taken out, makes it a more interesting tournament.

Paves the way for ‘Hey Jude’ to become the bookies favourite.

I would only vote for Hey Jude ahead of about six of the remaining contenders; it's quality, anthemic with a melodious verse, but the lyrics are vapid and it plods along rather than pulverizes. Below I've bolded the songs that I think have a shot at winning:

She Loves You
    Day Tripper
    Hey Jude

Nowhere Man
    We Can Work It Out
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Help!

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Back in the U.S.S.R
    Here Comes The Sun
    Eleanor Rigby
    Paperback Writer

Blackbird
    Come Together
    In My Life

A Day in the Life
    I Am The Walrus

For No One
    I Feel Fine
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Get Back

I would only vote for Hey Jude ahead of about six of the remaining contenders; it's quality, anthemic with a melodious verse, but the lyrics are vapid and it plods along rather than pulverizes. Below I've bolded the songs that I think have a shot at winning:

She Loves You
    Day Tripper
    Hey Jude

Nowhere Man
    We Can Work It Out
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Help!

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Back in the U.S.S.R
    Here Comes The Sun
    Eleanor Rigby
    Paperback Writer

Blackbird
    Come Together
    In My Life

A Day in the Life
    I Am The Walrus

For No One
    I Feel Fine
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Get Back

I’d love to see ‘We Can Work It Out’ do well, it’s a blinder of a track and oft-overlooked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Delighted to say goodbye to Yesterday and Let it Be. Just need Hey Jude to be next. Agree with Rebertta about its vapidness and ploddiness.

Some cracking tunes left, and my altogether favourite still there too.

Yesterday is a fine song, but its not even in the Top 20 greatest Beatles songs for me, so much better and lesser know songs on offer..

It came up against Paperback Writer, otherwise I would have voted for it over others and I think there's a good chance it would have still been in the competition with an easier draw.

I think it would sneak into my top 20, definitely top 25. Yesterday, along with Hey Jude, but even moreso than HJ, is the definitive Beatles song, the song the casual fan or member of the general public would associate most with The Beatles undoubtedly in my opinion; ironic, considering John is the biggest icon and most revered of the foursome and it was written by Paul after a dream of course.

Spike Milligan was a big fan of Yesterday and talked about it on Room 101, calling pop music "crap other than The Beatles".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It came up against Paperback Writer, otherwise I would have voted for it over others and I think there's a good chance it would have still been in the competition with an easier draw.

I think it would sneak into my top 20, definitely top 25. Yesterday, along with Hey Jude, but even moreso than HJ, is the definitive Beatles song, the song the casual fan or member of the general public would associate most with The Beatles undoubtedly in my opinion; ironic, considering John is the biggest icon and most revered of the foursome and it was written by Paul after a dream of course.

Spike Milligan was a big fan of Yesterday and talked about it on Room 101, calling pop music "crap other than The Beatles".

I think I voted for Yesterday over Paperback Writer actually. PW is another song I have nothing against, it's a great song, but probably wouldn't scratch my Top 20 Beatles Songs either.

Hey Jude was also written by Paul, so probably the two most commonly recognised Beatles tracks were by the man the majority tend to regard as the lesser songwriter.

Fun Facts (courtesy of a great site called Beatlesbible)
    ‘Hey Jude’ was the first release on The Beatles’ own Apple Records label. It was a ballad written by Paul McCartney, to comfort John Lennon’s son Julian during the divorce of his parents.

It was written in June 1968, as McCartney drove his Aston Martin to Weybridge to visit Cynthia Lennon and her son. On the journey he began thinking about their changing lives, and of the past times he had spent writing with Lennon at the Weybridge house.

I thought, as a friend of the family, I would motor out to Weybridge and tell them that everything was all right: to try and cheer them up, basically, and see how they were. I had about an hour’s drive. I would always turn the radio off and try and make up songs, just in case… I started singing: ‘Hey Jules – don’t make it bad, take a sad song, and make it better…’ It was optimistic, a hopeful message for Julian: ‘Come on, man, your parents got divorced. I know you’re not happy, but you’ll be OK.’

I eventually changed ‘Jules’ to ‘Jude’. One of the characters in Oklahoma! is called Jude, and I like the name.

"‘Hey Jude is a damn good set of lyrics and I made no contribution to that."- John Lennon...I don't agree with that.

Not a single person mourned the exit of Yesterday, the most covered song of all-time if I'm not mistaken?
    Wouldn't have mourned Wonderwall either :pac:

(Not that those two even belong in the same record store)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

One of my favourite Beatles songs. In my top five. Revolver would be my favourite album, that opinion hasn’t changed since my teens.

One of my favourite Beatles songs. In my top five. Revolver would be my favourite album, that opinion hasn’t changed since my teens.

Revolver was the highest rated album in the top 50 album countdown as chosen by some Boardsies. It came in at No. 6.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was at no. 22

I wonder if a Revolver song will win this competition?

Shameless plug for anyone who missed it:
    Top 50 albums of all-time according to 51 Boardsies.

Revolver was the highest rated album in the top 50 album countdown as chosen by some Boardsies. It came in at No. 6.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was at no. 22

I wonder if a Revolver song will win this competition?

Shameless plug for anyone who missed it:
    Top 50 albums of all-time according to 51 Boardsies.

‘Abbey Road’ didn’t even feature?

• Advertisement

‘Abbey Road’ didn’t even feature?

No, and I wouldn't put it in the upper echelons either; it only features one classic song: Here Comes The Sun.

I'm not the biggest champion of the romantic slush of Something and Oh, Darling! or the slow rhythms of Come Together, Because, Golden Slumbers and Sun King.

As for silly frippery like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam and Mean Mr. Mustard the less said the better!

In addition, the whole continuous segue approach on albums, one song blending into another, rather detracts from their individualism and uniqueness and rather than any standing out, none of them do. The songs aren't strong. I even used to forget which was which.

It's gimmicky and overall I don't feel it forms a cohesive creative picture; it's certainly not like it's an interesting conceptual piece like The Wall(and I guess it wasn't meant to be); it's more like a slapdash painting on a wall with no coherent outline and design.

John Lennon agrees with me so I must be right.;)
    Lennon ultimately said that he disliked Abbey Road as a whole and felt that it lacked authenticity, calling McCartney's contributions "[music] for the grannies to dig" and not "real songs", and describing the medley as "junk ... just bits of songs thrown together"

All of their "mature" albums offer something different, in my view, and have their own qualities. Though I'd probably listen to Sargent Pepper's the least and The White Album the most, the charges of it being bloated and self indulgent aren't totally unfair, but I like its sprawl and variety of moods.

Back when I was really first getting into them I didn't get why Abbey Road was considered to be their best. A bit too polished and the second half is bits and pieces of song fragments stuck together rather than truly mind blowing individual songs - which is reflection of them beginning to run out of steam at the time of recording it - but I do appreciate it a fair bit more these days. That polish works a bit more for me now instead of putting me off. I totally disagree that it only features one classic song - Come Together and Here Comes The Sun are bona-fide classics and She's So Heavy is absolutely fcking awesome and does pulverise.

Group A

I Feel Fine

vs

Day Tripper

She Loves You

vs

A Day In The Life

Group A

I Feel Fine vs Day Tripper
    She Loves You vs A Day in the Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I Feel Fine

She Loves You Ya Ya Ya

Group B

Hey Jude

vs

We Can Work It Out

I Am The Walrus

vs

Happiness Is a Warm Gun

Group B

Hey Jude vs We Can Work It Out
    I Am The Walrus vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Group A

I Feel Fine vs Day Tripper - tough draw, I like both of these.
    She Loves You vs A Day in the Life -definitely an easier choice here, though SLY certainly isn't bad.

Group B

Hey Jude vs We Can Work It Out - great catchy tune, and not a fan of HJ
    I Am The Walrus vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun - least favourte of the four I'm voting for here, but better than IATW.

Group A

I Feel Fine
    A Day in the Life

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group A

Day Tripper
    A Day in the Life

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    I Am The Walrus

Group A

Group B

I am the Walrus and Happiness is a Warm Gun are two of my favourites. This wasn't an easy decision.

Group A

I Feel Fine v Day Tripper
    Two songs with lively chord structures, guitar noodling and harmonious multi-vocals. Out of the two, DT packs the more powerful punch, both vocally and riff wise. I Feel Fine is almost like a pauper's DT; the latter may attain classic status, but IFF falls a little short in my opinion. It also has a limp guitar solo, almost unnecessary really.

She Loves You v A Day in the Life
    SLY is a slice of pure top-notch pop but its repetitive chorus doesn't have a lasting impact and it loses out to the more interesting, complex, melancholic and unsettling ADITL.

Group B

It's cool how the vocal in WCWIO comes in immediately. The verse is the strongest part of the song. "Life is very short.." which, I presume, might be regarded as the chorus, is lacklustre compared to the bouncy preludes, so although it's good, it's no HJ.

Wonky, demented lyrics and a I really like the vocals (or effect on the vocals?); snarly. The most intriguing section is the string interlude starting @2:04 which takes it to another (and better )place. I'm not the chief admirer of IATW; I'd like it to be faster and heavier somehow, but my thoughts on HIAWG are known. No contest!

Group A

Day Tripper
    A Day in the Life

Pretty close call in the first match and Day Tripper only slightly edges it over I Feel Fine, both are great songs.

Second match was a bit easier, but only relatively speaking and it's not a slight on She Loves You, as all decisions at this point of the tournament are going to be hard to make, but A Day In The Life is more of an experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Group A

Group B

I Am The Walrus vs Happiness Is a Warm Gun - don't really like either of these songs

Group B

We Can Work It Out
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun

Hard not to love the NA-NA-NA sing a long bit of Hey Jude and that's definitely what makes it such a fan favourite, but overall I think We Can Work It Out is the superior song.

Second match was a much tougher decision, wouldn't have minded seeing both of these make it to the quarter finals or further, Happiness Is A Warm Gun is one that grows on me more and more each and every time I listen to it and slowly but surely crept its way into my inner circle of Beatles songs. On the other hand I Am The Walrus has always been one of my Beatles favourites and was always in that inner circle, so kills me to vote against it, but had to go with the gut instinct. Whichever goes through from this one though I'll be more than happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement