Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming from 1 linux box to another

Options
  • 14-05-2021 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Bit of an odd question but i think its possible:

I have 2 Satellite boxes - a VU+ DUO2 in the living room and a Technomate in the bedroom - both connected to the same network -

What i want to do is stream a television channel from the VU (connected to my multi LNB dish) into the Technomate (only connected to sky dish 28.2)

It seems to be possible to stream to my phone - wondering is streaming to the Technomate possible? Is there a plug in i could get?

Thanks in advance -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

liamtech wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Bit of an odd question but i think its possible:

I have 2 Satellite boxes - a VU+ DUO2 in the living room and a Technomate in the bedroom - both connected to the same network -

What i want to do is stream a television channel from the VU (connected to my multi LNB dish) into the Technomate (only connected to sky dish 28.2)

It seems to be possible to stream to my phone - wondering is streaming to the Technomate possible? Is there a plug in i could get?

Thanks in advance -

What image? Openvix at least has a fallback configuration option under tuner settings where it can use a tuner from another box if no free tuner available on the client box.

I have only tested it to see if I could get a second satellite station tuned from 28.2 on a box with only 1 DVB-T & 1 DVB-S and that worked.

Not sure how it would work if you dont have the stations already on the client box, maybe try importing a bouquet from the multi lnb one?

Alternatively I believe there are plugins to add IPTV channels, you could download a M3U file with the addresses to stream channels on the multi lnb box and add them as IPTV channels on the second box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

dam099 wrote: »
    What image? Openvix at least has a fallback configuration option under tuner settings where it can use a tuner from another box if no free tuner available on the client box.

I have only tested it to see if I could get a second satellite station tuned from 28.2 on a box with only 1 DVB-T & 1 DVB-S and that worked.

Not sure how it would work if you dont have the stations already on the client box, maybe try importing a bouquet from the multi lnb one?

Alternatively I believe there are plugins to add IPTV channels, you could download a M3U file with the addresses to stream channels on the multi lnb box and add them as IPTV channels on the second box.

Thanks for the reply pal!

Yea i woke up early and spent a few hours mucking around: using trial and error i found several plugins including one called ADD URL STREAM - bit of trial and error on that one and i got it to add a channel and successfully stream! bit laborious to add
    • Download a M3U8 Stream on a PC
    • Open it in Notepad
    • tediously type the string into the plug in - using the virtual keyboard it takes time and patience - case sensitive too, which stupidly i didnt know
    • Add and Boom - sorted

I will probably add the Terrestrial channels which are not available to my bedroom (long story, aerial in living room, attempted several solutions but failed in the past so this will work a charm - already added RTE1 and 2)

Will also add some of the English Language News stations that arent on 28.2 (I24, DE, BBC World, Press etc)

One thing which oddly did NOT work was using Dreamboxedit, in lieu of the app - Fails every time - It adds the channels but nothing comes up which is odd cause the format seems identical

Anyway, im delighted cause having the Terrestrials in the bedroom will be handy - and the extra news stations and eurosport from 19.2 will be equally great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Put the Technomate in client mode in tuner setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I'm using Remote Channel Stream Converter plugin. Very easy to use. You can pick and choose specific bouquets to import and then they are treated as any local bouquet on the remote box.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    I'm using Remote Channel Stream Converter plugin. Very easy to use. You can pick and choose specific bouquets to import and then they are treated as any local bouquet on the remote box.

That worked a charm thanks!

There is a problem with serious stuttering on many channels particularly HD ones? If anyone has any suggestions on this i would really appreciate it - This would give me way more functionality especially with having the Saorview stations in the bedroom for the first time - but RTE1 and 2 are almost unusable with the stuttering

Really appreciate any help - to clarify there is no stuttering on any other device i have used, including my phone, and an old laptop - just on the technomate TM-2T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

There is a problem with serious stuttering on many channels particularly HD ones?

Are the boxes connected via WIFI or wired? Wired is better if possible.

Apogee wrote: »
    Are the boxes connected via WIFI or wired? Wired is better if possible.

The VU box is wired but the Technomate is wireless unfortunately - is wireless unreliable for this?

Its a shame cause i was massively enthusiastic about having my multi set up + saorview available in the bedroom:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, wireless is not suited to streaming video.
    Homeplugs, if they work, are much better, if you cannot get an ethernet cable to the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

The VU box is wired but the Technomate is wireless unfortunately - is wireless unreliable for this?

Its a shame cause i was massively enthusiastic about having my multi set up + saorview available in the bedroom:(

It would be worth trying to connect the TM via ethernet, even temporarily, to see if it solved the problem. If yes, then you might consider powerline if you can't bring cat5 to the TM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

go to menu / info / network and check signal strength and link quality

try moving the router or technomate ,even a few feet might help

better router might help depending on what you have already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

There is a problem with serious stuttering on many channels particularly HD ones? If anyone has any suggestions on this i would really appreciate it - This would give me way more functionality especially with having the Saorview stations in the bedroom for the first time - but RTE1 and 2 are almost unusable with the stuttering

Really appreciate any help - to clarify there is no stuttering on any other device i have used, including my phone, and an old laptop - just on the technomate TM-2T

Sorry, should have mentioned that you should use wired connections if at all possible. I have three boxes streaming from the main box all using power line adapters with no stuttering at all.

Also have all boxes set up so they can watch recordings from the main box.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Sorry, should have mentioned that you should use wired connections if at all possible. I have three boxes streaming from the main box all using power line adapters with no stuttering at all.

Also have all boxes set up so they can watch recordings from the main box.

Thanks for the advice guys - i should point out that all other wireless devices have no issue, but im assuming the wireless/wired performance lag is related to E2's only

What i am gonna do is try and get a long ethernet cable to run a wire/wireless test

Assuming that works, would these be ok

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

Granted its the cheapest set of power lan adapters i can find - just wanna keep the cost down if i can

Advertisement