Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund/voucher for not-yet-cancelled flight (Ryanair nonsense)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Travel Insurance will (probably) cover any flights booked prior to COVID-19 to a destination not currently Green Listed, presuming you had insurance at the time of booking or shortly thereafter. At least mine will.

They will, but you need to provide them proof of cancellation, which is currently almost impossible to obtain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Denisoftus wrote: »
    They will, but you need to provide them proof of cancellation, which is currently almost impossible to obtain :(

Proof of your flight being cancelled (it isn’t) ? Or proof of you cancelling your flight?

Proof of your flight being cancelled (it isn’t) ? Or proof of you cancelling your flight?

Proof of you haven't flown, where flight occurred as scheduled, so {you cancelling your flight}

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

My flight is in two days with Ryan air, inbound flight cancelled, no way to fly to take one-way return Ryanair flight, but even if it were, I would not fly due to restrictions. I understand flight is still going to happen so Ryanair WILL NOT refund. Now our insurance company required a written / email confirmation that we did not fly, or cancel, I'm on 4th hour of Ryanair chat waiting, requesting refund - no answer.

What are my options, if I can't get in touch with Ryanair to cancel the flight (no refund) how can I proof to my insurance company I didn't (wouldn't) fly? Its a dead end.

I understand the difficult situation Ryanair and others are now in, and I understand lack of refunds but ****, can't they just give me bloody letter of cancellation and cancel the flight - its so annoying.

Infuriating, I feel your pain, but have no solution to proffer unfortunately :/

I bit the bullet and cancelled our hotel (at no cost) yesterday but have resigned myself to losing nearly 2 grand when my family don't board the plane on the 18th.

Had no insurance when booking last December (or now) so it's good money down the drain and camping in Wickla for us.

luketitz wrote: »
    Infuriating, I feel your pain, but have no solution to proffer unfortunately :/

I bit the bullet and cancelled our hotel (at no cost) yesterday but have resigned myself to losing nearly 2 grand when my family don't board the plane on the 18th.

Had no insurance when booking last December (or now) so it's good money down the drain and camping in Wickla for us.

This is understandable and painful, we have lost a lot more elsewhere but its not the point. I fully understand Ryanair position on non-refunding non-cancelled flights, after all, if Ryanair gets busted we will lose a big competitor which drives prices down.

But, damn, it cost them nothing to supply customers with an email confirming we did not check in and did not fly to satisfy insurance claim. I'm sure there are a lot like me who just can't make an insurance claim because of inability to obtain the letter. It'll cost me around 1K more if I can't get it at the end, and this will be the last time I ever bought Ryanair tickets, I'd rather pay more for Airlingus flight going forwards then receive zero customer support - disgusting.

And by the way, I have applied for Airlingus voucher back in March, and have not received it, but they DO answer to emails, and DO answer to phone calls with only a few minutes on hold. Yesterday I had a chat with Ryanair started, and 12 hours later - not a single answer.

• Advertisement

This is understandable and painful, we have lost a lot more elsewhere but its not the point. I fully understand Ryanair position on non-refunding non-cancelled flights, after all, if Ryanair gets busted we will lose a big competitor which drives prices down.

But, damn, it cost them nothing to supply customers with an email confirming we did not check in and did not fly to satisfy insurance claim. I'm sure there are a lot like me who just can't make an insurance claim because of inability to obtain the letter. It'll cost me around 1K more if I can't get it at the end, and this will be the last time I ever bought Ryanair tickets, I'd rather pay more for Airlingus flight going forwards then receive zero customer support - disgusting.

And by the way, I have applied for Airlingus voucher back in March, and have not received it, but they DO answer to emails, and DO answer to phone calls with only a few minutes on hold. Yesterday I had a chat with Ryanair started, and 12 hours later - not a single answer.

I hear ya, would cost them nothing but they've nothing to 'gain' from sending such a letter so aren't arsed issuing it.. they'd probably charge an admin fee too if they were to start issuing it, which us fools would gladly pay to try and claw back something via insurance rather than lose the lot, so they're actually kinda missing a trick (from a bloodthirsty capitalist perspective) in that regard.. not to mention the potential loss of a lifelong customer as a result of their blind apathy as you've described.

While I get your point about understanding why they're not refunding, I kinda get it too, but what galls me the most is the double standards in that they're freely allowing date changes to those who took a punt on flights over the summer in the midst of a crisis, but aren't affording any such luxuries to those of us who booked in good faith long before Covid even hit Europe - that's the part I find hardest to swallow from this fiasco, either let us all change dates for free or none of us, it's nuts that the'yre favouring the recent bookers over the longer-term ones and its only the long-term ones who are being truly screwed over here.

They wouldn't 'go bust' by allowing free date changes or issung vouchers to us, they'd bank the capital and could stop flying empty flights when it makes zero sense (beyond pure greed) to do so.

/rant

Have been luckier today and managed to get someone on Ryanair chat, what it looks like it is actually possible, you need to request no-show form over the chat or by calling them and this should suffice as a proof for insurance reasons. Hope this would help others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi everyone, just a quick question. My flight was on the 8 th April. I cancelled my flight end March 2020, following link. I was told "money back" but they sent a voucher. I never acceptet it and it said it would take "several weeks/months" to process cash refunds. I still haven't received anything. Is this normal or is there anything else I should be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

turniton wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just a quick question. My flight was on the 8 th April. I cancelled my flight end March 2020, following link. I was told "money back" but they sent a voucher. I never acceptet it and it said it would take "several weeks/months" to process cash refunds. I still haven't received anything. Is this normal or is there anything else I should be doing?

You should gave your refund by now.
    You need to get back on to their useless customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm in the same situation as yourself.

The website states all refunds for April May now sorted by July but I've received nothing for my April Easter flights.

I've sent them a DM but ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You both need to get on to their Chat service.
    They have issued you a voucher - and somehow they need to be told multiple times that you do not accept a voucher.

Once they get this thru their heads they send an email saying you have refused a voucher and they will begin to process your refund.

IF you havent got this email, then youve accepted a voucher as far as they are concerned.

This behaviour is unbelieveable btw.

I've found them to be incredibly rude, and although I used to be a huge RyanAir fan, theyve really upset me.

This morning I manage to get somebody on chat. And (I think for the third or 4 time) I told them that I did not want the voucher. I was told that they now have trained more staff and my refund should be processed in 7/10 business days. I did also receive an email :

Our Ref:XYZ

Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent correspondence regarding your booking XYZ.

I acknowledge that you do not wish to accept your refund in voucher format at this time and have requested to remain on the cash refund queue. 

Finally a bit of media coverage scratching the surface of our plight!

No entitlement to refund for airline customers from Kildare, Laois and Offaly https://jrnl.ie/5176104

I am lost. I got no notifications. I randomly checked my flight on Ryan App (leaving Knock on 11 September to Milan). It says CANCELLED?

I am lost. I got no notifications. I randomly checked my flight on Ryan App (leaving Knock on 11 September to Milan). It says CANCELLED?

Lucky you, at least you'll get a full refund (eventually)!.

It must be one of the 'fifth of all flights' affected as per this news yesterday- Ryanair to cut a fifth of its flights in September and October as restrictions hit bookings https://jrnl.ie/5177766

No such luck here, we're supposed to be boarding a ghost flight to Tenerife in 45 mins time and have to take a full hit on almost 2 grand :/

Lucky you, at least you'll get a full refund (eventually)!.

It must be one of the 'fifth of all flights' affected as per this news yesterday- Ryanair to cut a fifth of its flights in September and October as restrictions hit bookings https://jrnl.ie/5177766

No such luck here, we're supposed to be boarding a ghost flight to Tenerife in 45 mins time and have to take a full hit on almost 2 grand :/

YOU serious!? I am just a bit shocked (and also very mad -won't use any rude words) that they did not even send me an email to let me know.

YOU serious!? I am just a bit shocked (and also very mad -won't use any rude words) that they did not even send me an email to let me know.

Check your spam folder, they possibly did send one, although it wouldn't really surprise me if not.

Check your spam folder, they possibly did send one, although it wouldn't really surprise me if not.

I got an email on the 17/08/2020 12:49 telling me that "travelling with family is tough" with suggestions how do deal with problems travelling with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

On ryanair live chat waiting for a 'customer care agent' sine 9.09am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Was in same boat as you all, booked January, no sign of any cancellations of flight, waited till 7 days before, accomodation waited till last minute for payment, paid up and went, Lanzarote was destination,

I said in another forum here on boards, if government wanted and wished for us to remain,they should have worked with the airlines and make refunds available to those who wanted them or change of dates etc. But very hard to walk away from 2k of very hard earned and saved for 12months of cash. And dont know where they thought I'd get my staycation pot from when half of it is in Ryanairs account :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

BobMc wrote: »
    Was in same boat as you all, booked January, no sign of any cancellations of flight, waited till 7 days before, accomodation waited till last minute for payment, paid up and went, Lanzarote was destination,

I said in another forum here on boards, if government wanted and wished for us to remain,they should have worked with the airlines and make refunds available to those who wanted them or change of dates etc. But very hard to walk away from 2k of very hard earned and saved for 12months of cash. And dont know where they thought I'd get my staycation pot from when half of it is in Ryanairs account :)

4k before tax!

BobMc wrote: »

Sickener all round alright. I was very tempted to board that flight myself this morning but just not an option for my wife or kids with the quarantine requirements on return.

Kick in the nuts but sure we'll survive.. let's hope next week's camping in Kerry isn't a complete washout..

I gave up the chat yesterday. Started queue at 9 am. 4 pm still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I gave up the chat yesterday. Started queue at 9 am. 4 pm still nothing

They open at 6am so try earlier. Mind you I got on instantly at 9.20am last week. Got quite the shock as even pre Covid that never happened

My wife got lucky. But we could only get a cold reply "check status of your flight on line". I have requested refund. That s it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

Caranica wrote: »
    They open at 6am so try earlier. Mind you I got on instantly at 9.20am last week. Got quite the shock as even pre Covid that never happened

Is anybody getting through to the live chat, being trying for the last few days and no reply, waiting on refunds from flights from 2 flights on 30th April and 17th May

keng66 wrote: »
    Is anybody getting through to the live chat, being trying for the last few days and no reply, waiting on refunds from flights from 2 flights on 30th April and 17th May

I didn't, my wife once. And she was told (on 11 th August) that our refund (flight 8th April) would have been processed in 7/10 business days.
    Still nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Remember they are the largest airline in europe. TENS of THOUSANDS are trying to contact them, most with the same queries and most can be answered by their updates

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/refundfaqs/directbookings

Remember, whilst making an online payment, its you making one transaction into a payment system. Tens of thousands of payments v#can be made in oen days as each payment is done by one person.

For refunds this works in reverse. A small group of people (could be hundreds but small in comparison to the number of customers) have to individually do the refunds. Its a paid in the neck. I had to do refunds for a charity gala dinner I was organising - only 150ish refunds, all by Paypal. Took two days! Boring repetitive work.

People simply have to understand the logistics of these things and have patience. The more people who call asking the same questions and getting the same answer that is on their website, the more and more time refunds will take

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

silver2020 wrote: »
    Remember they are the largest airline in europe. TENS of THOUSANDS are trying to contact them, most with the same queries and most can be answered by their updates

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/refundfaqs/directbookings

Remember, whilst making an online payment, its you making one transaction into a payment system. Tens of thousands of payments v#can be made in oen days as each payment is done by one person.

For refunds this works in reverse. A small group of people (could be hundreds but small in comparison to the number of customers) have to individually do the refunds. Its a paid in the neck. I had to do refunds for a charity gala dinner I was organising - only 150ish refunds, all by Paypal. Took two days! Boring repetitive work.

People simply have to understand the logistics of these things and have patience. The more people who call asking the same questions and getting the same answer that is on their website, the more and more time refunds will take

The thing that gets me is Ryanair saying "By the end of July, all of May and most of June cash refunds will also be processed" on their website which is just BS, would much prefer if they just said they are not operating the live chat for the foreseeable future and admit the truth with regard to the processing times.

• Advertisement

The thing that gets me is Ryanair saying "By the end of July, all of May and most of June cash refunds will also be processed" on their website which is just BS, would much prefer if they just said they are not operating the live chat for the foreseeable future and admit the truth with regard to the processing times.

Instead of telling me 7/10 business days (2 weeks ago), it would have been better the truth. Which is 1-2 month, so I would not bother them again and wait.
    I did wait from end March till 11 th August already, before contacting them

Advertisement