Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried to get a chargeback for flight cancellation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

I looked for a chargeback from VISA, got a letter saying not their problem and I should accept a voucher for €2K will KLM,

Just wondering if anyone had any joy with Travel Insurance, my flights were not until 13th May so need to wait but expecting them to just tell me to contact the airline, no one wants to accept responsibility and pay up.

On a side note, was going to Russia and had booked train tickets from St. Petersburg to Moscow costing €700. I emailed them on Easter Monday and the money was back on my card on the Wednesday, more than impressed, thought it would be major grief,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

keng66 wrote: »
    I looked for a chargeback from VISA, got a letter saying not their problem and I should accept a voucher for €2K will KLM,

Just wondering if anyone had any joy with Travel Insurance, my flights were not until 13th May so need to wait but expecting them to just tell me to contact the airline, no one wants to accept responsibility and pay up.

On a side note, was going to Russia and had booked train tickets from St. Petersburg to Moscow costing €700. I emailed them on Easter Monday and the money was back on my card on the Wednesday, more than impressed, thought it would be major grief,

Posted from another thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyouup View Post
    Just noticed these terms on AIB's for for processing charge backs
    https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/perso...ction-form.pdf
    Thanks for the update funkyouup.

In fairness, AIB have got their act together and are upfront with consumers
    the rest of the banks are all over the place.

Heather is legislating,
    chargeback is dead,
    the regulator is sloooooow...
    where you going to go....

Small Claims court!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I got my money back today from Mastercard. My bank is N26, they sent off the stuff I provided two days ago, got the money back just now. It can be disputed by Ryanair at any point over the next 45 days though but I'll deal with that if it happens.

.G. wrote: »
    I got my money back today from Mastercard. My bank is N26, they sent off the stuff I provided two days ago, got the money back just now. It can be disputed by Ryanair at any point over the next 45 days though but I'll deal with that if it happens.

Good for you, strange that they have a different policy to VISA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

paddy19 wrote: »

Quote:

Heather is legislating,
    chargeback is dead,

Small Claims court!

That link doesn't work.

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote: »

Quote:

Heather is legislating,
    chargeback is dead,

Small Claims court!

That link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Rang Avantcard, spoke to a lovely lady working from home. Told her my story about Ryanair cancelling flight and offering voucher when I asked for a cash refund. Gave flight details, was asked to forward on emails received so far (flight cancellation and email offering voucher) to a specific email address. Told wait 30 days and expect a refund. Mastercard

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

buzz11 wrote: »

I spoke to AIB on the phone 2 weeks ago and they mentioned nothing about this form. Too late now as I've already sent everything they asked off to them.

manster wrote: »
    Rang Avantcard, spoke to a lovely lady working from home. Told her my story about Ryanair cancelling flight and offering voucher when I asked for a cash refund. Gave flight details, was asked to forward on emails received so far (flight cancellation and email offering voucher) to a specific email address. Told wait 30 days and expect a refund. Mastercard

You only need to wait 30 days from the day you applied for the refund. Was same with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

manster wrote: »

Not the response I got from a guy at Avantcard when I rang just now :(
    He said you have to deal with it via Ryanair chatbot/customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Decided to give a shot a filling out the https://contactform.ryanair.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

sector_000 wrote: »
    Not the response I got from a guy at Avantcard when I rang just now :(
    He said you have to deal with it via Ryanair chatbot/customer service
    Might be unlucky and just got a crappy agent. Try ringing again you might get a different response from another agent.

I got a call back yesterday from a different agent just confirming my details and said they would put it through.

Small steps:

AIB have removed their if you can get a voucher feck off notice:

"If your dispute relates to a booking cancelled by a hotel or airline
    due to Government Restrictions related to Covid-19
    and they have offered you a credit note towards a future booking
    we regret that we are unable to request a refund on your behalf."

Started on 21/4 and was removed on the 29/4.

Would love to know what inspired this change of heart!

A sudden urge to delight their customers!

Probably not.

limabromac reports a new variation of the don't call us we won't call you approach:

Quote:

Originally Posted by limabromac

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=15

Response from AIB chargeback team...I started the dispute 3 weeks ago
    and I didn't hear anything so I rang and they told to email all the proof etc...I did ...

If I didn't ring them they would have not have come looking for it...
    so definitely give them a call if you find yourself waiting...
    still gonna take months tho... flightrights might be faster...

Thank you for your documents to the disputed transaction.
    We have attached it to your file. We are unable to discuss chargeback disputes via e-mail,
    but once we have an update we will be in touch with you via post.

Please be advised that this email address is to receive documentation only.

We are currently receiving a higher than normal amount of disputes

and we are unable to provide any time frame for your dispute.

If you have any queries please contact one of our
    customer service advisors on the number on the back of your card.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

I have a couple of flights canceled with both R and AL.

I reuested refunds straight away but still waiting as everyone else.

two questions.

AIB are saying they wont chargback if vouchers are offered. But we all requested refunds, so we were offered both but chose refunds and they are saying no chargback.
    Maybe something to write financial ombudsman about.

Also I have travel insurance taken before all this covid started.
    And in T&C there is compulsory quarantine mentioned.
    "the compulsory quarantine on the order of a treating Doctor of
    the Person Insured or a Travelling Companion provided that such
    Cancellation, Curtailment or Rearrangement is confirmed as
    medically necessary by a Doctor;"

Now this was not by a Doctor but a whole country was locked so I presume that counts?

Would they refund cancelled flight in the case where airlines are offering refunds/vouchers...but you jst have to wait months for them?

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

two questions.

AIB are saying they wont chargback if vouchers are offered. But we all requested refunds, so we were offered both but chose refunds and they are saying no chargback.

Now this was not by a Doctor but a whole country was locked so I presume that counts?

Would they refund cancelled flight in the case where airlines are offering refunds/vouchers...but you jst have to wait months for them?

any ideas?

I can't see the bank doing a chargeback if you've already applied for a refund. That would be double dipping, no?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

two questions.

I think I read somewhere here no boards that AIB have stopped that voucher option as a get out of jail card on this, its I'll try find it.

Yes AIB took down their blanket feck off notice, where they said they weren't doing chargebacks for Covid cases.
    So obviously they were told by somebody that they couldn't blanket refuse.

Put in the form and hustle. Unlawful EU261 8 1 A, no commit date for the cash refund, service not delivered,
    a voucher is not delivering the service you paid for.

Point out that B of I are doing chargebacks where vouchers are offered.

AIB are conflicted here because they provide merchant services which involves fighting chargebacks for suppliers.

With Ryanair fighting in SCC and flightrights buried and slow, chargeback is becoming the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

two questions.

any ideas?

I have started to charge back with AIB since the 21st April..they have been exceptionally slow and evasive.... I called them 2 weeks ago and they said to submit more evidence ( they wouldn't have contacted me unless I contacted them) they now have all of my evidence ..so much...and they have said that there is no time limit on this chargeback and to not contact them by email as they won't be able to give out info...they also don't have a direct line...one month later I may as well be waiting in the queue with AIB as well as Ryanair...

As far as insurance goes the only thing I know is that you need to have insurance with specific disrupted travel added as an extra to get a refund through your insurance company...most companies took this clause away at the beginning of all this so unless you had it before and you chose it than you may be covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

I can't see the bank doing a chargeback if you've already applied for a refund. That would be double dipping, no?

well I requested a refund and got voucher instead...so apart from part for chargback for goods/services not delivered there is one for refunds not received. So I can basically call on both. I am sending my post today for both R and AL ;/

paddy19 - well they could not work around Visas own and other EU laws and policies as they would just open themselves for a lot of fin. ombudsman complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Since no customer has any money refunded right now they are entitled to try and get their money back through any path that is open to them... Whichever option pays first cancels out any other path...I don't think any customer is interested in Double Dipping as you put it..

any ideas?

Dr Leo Varadkar might be a bit of a stretch :)
    But why not ask your GP to provide evidence of compulsory quarantine?

AIB are way out of line.

The service has not been delivered.
    The airline will not commit to a date for a refund.
    This falls well within a chargeback requirement.
    The law is clear a cash refund is due within 7 days
    Just because thousands of people could apply is no reason to stop.
    There is no issue of double dipping since the airline would refund to the card anyway.

Bank Of Ireland are doing it.
    What's stopping AIB except laziness?

Mastercard Chargeback Dec 2018 Page 48.

Chargeback Condition. The cardholder contacted the issuer claiming all of the following:

• The cardholder contacted the merchant, or attempted to contact the merchant, to resolve the dispute
    • The merchant refused to adjust the price, repair or replace the goods or other things of value, or issue a credit

And one of the following:
    • The merchant did not honor the terms and conditions of the contract with the cardholder including,
    but not limited to, 100 percent money back guarantee, written promises, or return policy.

Interesting view on differences between chargebacks for credit cards and debit cards.

As the yanks would say it all depends who has skin in the game!

A Visa credit cardholder requests a chargeback:

The issuer, who loaned the money to the cardholder for the transaction, realizes the “loan” might go unpaid.
    The bank has a vested interest in ensuring quick chargeback resolution.
    It’s in the bank’s best interest to keep customers happy, which could mean
    deciding against the merchant without fully investigating the claim.

A Visa debit cardholder requests a chargeback:

The issuer has no vested interest, as the funds from a debit transaction
    come directly from the cardholder’s account.
    Because it isn’t a high priority, the process can drag out over weeks or even months.
    A debit chargeback doesn’t ensure a refund for the full amount;
    in fact, there’s a chance nothing will be reimbursed.

https://chargebacks911.com/visa-debit-chargeback/

As I mentioned in these parts at the time I successfully got a chargeback from N26 on my Mastercard debit card within a week of N26 opening it for me with them. I've had two more flights cancelled now so in 30 days time I will be in this process again only this time with a KBC issued Mastercard debit. Will be interesting to see if there are any differences in approach from the two banks.

Anyone had any experience with Avantcard.

In their Covid advise they state:

If the airline cancels the flights, or hotel cancels the accommodation and offers a refund within a certain time frame, you should give them at least 15 business days to process the refunds, and in the event they do not, you should contact us to investigate for you.

Sounds promising.

Anyone experience the reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

I had a ticket booked with United Airlines for travel on 25th may. Flight is cancelled, and I don't want it now anyway as it was for a now cancelled conference.

Rang them a few days ago and they told me they will give me a full refund.

They have an odd pricing system where you pay a core fare and then a lot of add-ons, but the refunds started hitting my account today.....

keng66 wrote: »

Just an update, I got the chargeback from TSB VISA this morning for the €2K, took a while but just keep putting the pressure on them for anyone else in the same possition

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Revolut saw on my agents website that it can take up to 12 weeks for a refund (agency aren't even interested in communication nevermind a refund) so until 12 weeks, Revolut aren't that interested in my charge back claim...over €1300 at stake ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

.G. wrote: »
    As I mentioned in these parts at the time I successfully got a chargeback from N26 on my Mastercard debit card within a week of N26 opening it for me with them. I've had two more flights cancelled now so in 30 days time I will be in this process again only this time with a KBC issued Mastercard debit. Will be interesting to see if there are any differences in approach from the two banks.

I rang KBC card services about doing a chargeback on Transavia in April. They told me to email proof of purchase and cancellation without refund and I should get the money back in a few days.

Over a week later I got a letter from KBC in Dublin saying they needed me to sign some form merely to just start the process, and made me mail the same proof of purchase/cancellation that I had already emailed them. The letter stated I had 14 days to reply or they wouldn't investigate the claim for me but the letter they sent me was dated over a week old by the time I actually got it. I replied the next day anyway and have heard nothing since. Any dealings I've had with KBC previously have been woeful so I'm not holding my breath here.

Advertisement