Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Greenway

• 20-07-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi I would like to cycle this greenway. I am finding difficult to find a place to stay. Where would you recommend for this. We would be looking at 2 nights Other Than Dungarvan where else would be a good location. Either air Bnb or a hotel for 2 adults in August either 4th and 5th or 17th 18th .
    Thanks in advance for recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Am going to hop in to your thread as am looking to do the Waterford Greenway in the next two weeks also. Was looking online at the company that rents bikes and see there is no shuttle bus this year due to Covid - bit of a bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

coleen wrote: »
    Hi I would like to cycle this greenway. I am finding difficult to find a place to stay. Where would you recommend for this. We would be looking at 2 nights Other Than Dungarvan where else would be a good location. Either air Bnb or a hotel for 2 adults in August either 4th and 5th or 17th 18th .

Keep cycling past Dungarvan and head to Ring, lots of lovely B&B's to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Some suggestions in or near Waterford city, all less than 2 miles from the Greenway.
    Greenway Manor Hotel
    Ramada Viking Hotel
    Bridge Hotel
    Dooley's Hotel
    Tower Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

Some suggestions in or near Waterford city, all less than 2 miles from the Greenway.
    Greenway Manor Hotel
    Ramada Viking Hotel
    Bridge Hotel
    Dooley's Hotel
    Tower Hotel.
    From this list which would you recommend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Tower hotel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I second the Tower Hotel if you want to stay in the city. Only recently done up. Has a swimming pool for after a long days cycling.
    Also would recommend the Greenway Manor which is a very nice small hotel in a lovely country setting about a mile or two away from the carrignore entry point to the greenway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I agree with the above, the tower is lovely. You're central too. Check that the pool will be open with all these restrictions though.

The green way is beautiful, so lucky to have it on our doorstep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We did it about 3 weeks ago. Stayed in the Fitzwilton in Waterford. Had to get a taxi to Dungarvan because no shuttle bus was running. Cycled to Waterford then. Stopped in Kilmeaden for a short break, so it took just 3 hours. We really enjoyed it and would recommend it. Bike hire was €25. The taxi was €72. If we had more time we probably could have got Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Done it last week from Waterford to dungarvan and then Bus eireann back to Waterford.
    Bit annoying that the bike hire is not doing the shuttle (and not mentioning it when you book with them)

Found the greenway very underwhelming compared to the westport and royal canal greenways but still ok for a day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Found the greenway very underwhelming compared to the westport and royal canal greenways but still ok for a day out.

Really? That's interesting - I had heard that opposite regarding the Waterford greenway versus the Westport one. Is the Westport one worth doing in comparison?

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Really? That's interesting - I had heard that opposite regarding the Waterford greenway versus the Westport one. Is the Westport one worth doing in comparison?

The westport is a harder cycle but much more senery along it. The issue I had with the Waterford one was that there were high hedges along a lot of it. Really nice as it went towards dungarvan and nice between Waterford and Kilmacthomas. Nothing much in between though in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

i done the both of them last year and the westport one is far nicer, it can be fierce windy near the sea, the waterford one is a much easier cycle if you have childern with you or are overweight,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Are there as many cycling services along the Westport route? Like are there bike hire companies offering similar breakdown assist etc - might have to look into this for staycation options for what's left of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

theres a load of places renting them, at least 4 or 5 I think, if you get a carrier for your tow bar, itll pay for itself between the cost of the rentals,

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

I have done the Mayo Greenway a few times - beautiful scenery. Just want to do a staycation in Waterford/Wexford area for a change.
    Found the bus time table mon - sat from Dungarvan to Waterford - regular enough.
    https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=40&form-view-timetables-submit=1

I have done the Mayo Greenway a few time - beautiful scenery. Just want to do a staycation in Waterford/Wexford area for a change.
    Found the bus time table mon - sat from Dungarvan to Waterford - regular enough.
    https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=40&form-view-timetables-submit=1

Got it last week so word of warning - due to SD, a number of people didn't make it onto the bus and had to wait for the next one. get there early and hold your position!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Cycled from Dungarvan to Waterford yesterday without a problem, after lunch in the city headed back but a few km into it one of my knees started acting up, ended up walking more than cycling back to Kilmacthomas where I threw in the towel. Maybe 92km for someone who'd not been on a bike in nearly 10 years coupled with the fact that I've been developing osteoarthritis in the last year or so was a bit over ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Visiting Waterford one stop one of our staycation and planning on doing Waterford to around Kilmacthomas on Monday. Hopefully the weather holds up!

Visiting Waterford one stop one of our staycation and planning on doing Waterford to around Kilmacthomas on Monday. Hopefully the weather holds up!

Someone earlier mentioned that the section between Waterford city and Kilmacthomas wasn't particularly interesting but the 7 or 8km along the Suir is nice.

Seamai wrote: »
    Someone earlier mentioned that the section between Waterford city and Kilmacthomas wasn't particularly interesting but the 7 or 8km along the Suir is nice.

I think the furthest we will go will be Durrow and then back to Kilmacthomas for a bite to eat. Probably be close to 5 hours including the stop off.

• Advertisement

I think the furthest we will go will be Durrow and then back to Kilmacthomas for a bite to eat. Probably be close to 5 hours including the stop off.

It's worth going the extra few kilometres beyond Durrow, through Ballyvoyle tunnel and out as far as the coast.

Seamai wrote: »
    It's worth going the extra few kilometres beyond Durrow, through Ballyvoyle tunnel and out as far as the coast.

Appreciate that, we're a little bit stuck for time but we'll see how much we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭obi604

Does anyone k ow if you can rent a bike for an hour?

Or do you have to rent one for the whole day rates?

obi604 wrote: »
    Does anyone k ow if you can rent a bike for an hour?

Or do you have to rent one for the whole day rates?

Almost sure it's day rates.

A group of us going to do the 92km cycle on the Waterford Greenway on Saturday week. Was meant to do Gaelfoce that day but thats cancelled :( . Looking forward to doing it. Few people i have talked too said its a beautiful cycle

Advertisement