Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unscrupulous sellers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

Merch wrote: »
    Can someone name a few reputable dealers (preferably in and around dublin) instead of naming a disreputable one?:)
    lol no one has named a disreputable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

DICEMAN7 wrote: »
    lol no one has named a disreputable one.

I mean , people were suggesting naming and shaming (which i can understand) but from what I understand of the policy of boards this isn't allowed, why not then instead name reputable places so someone can give them the business. Best way to get at disreputable businesses of any sort is not give them the money so give it to a reputable one instead, or would we then have people coming on here naming themselves as a great business??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

So what makes a reputable retailer, what criteria do we use? This thread is specifically discussing cylinder drilling, if someone names a reputable retailer but I know they drill and I say so, does that automatically make them disreputable?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Decoy wrote: »
    I think that's being rather naive Diceman. I believe if you went to any site around Ireland this Sunday and opened up all the AEGs you would be shocked at the number of AEGs with drilled cylinders or nozzles that you would find. And proportionally there wouldn't be any more with the sticker alluded to by previous posters than without.

How many players actually ask how their AEG was downgraded before they part with their money and leave the shop?

This is true but also how many New players know about drilling and the damage it does ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Decoy wrote: »
    I think that's being rather naive Diceman. I believe if you went to any site around Ireland this Sunday and opened up all the AEGs you would be shocked at the number of AEGs with drilled cylinders or nozzles that you would find. And proportionally there wouldn't be any more with the sticker alluded to by previous posters than without.

how is that an excuse to carry on doing it? it is actually a very worrying thing

and yes is a retailer drills cylinders i and does not either tell the customer from the start before they buy explaining what it means or giving them a choice of downgrade techniques of down grade techniques, yes it may cost a little more to have the spring replaced but give people the choice, and i have had this debate with a number of retailers, personally i can understand the argument from retailers but i can not understand and put up with retailers not informing customers of the details before purchase

The most stupid thing with drilling cylinders is that it is so easy to replace, all you have to do is cover the hole and it is back up to its original fps.
    How many players actually ask how their AEG was downgraded before they part with their money and leave the shop?

Come on , most would not even know to ask that question, the aeg that are most likely to be drilled are those that are most likely to be sold to new players. If retailers want to drill cylinders as a practice then that is fine that is there choice but im feed up for inexperienced players bing taken advantage of, they go into shops with limited experience and knowledge and have to put there trust in a retailers and this is taken advantage of some of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Walks, give me a buzz later and I'll sort it out FOC for ya, if you haven't already got it sorted!

Charlie, we're using the term "venting" now? Sound out:P

My view on this is, purely as a tech and minor retail point of view is; I could understand possibly drilling a cheap clone AEG, as long as you're prepared to change it at the customers request. To drill a cylinder properly, likewise when drilling anything metal. Believe it or not there is a correct and wrong way to do it.

The wrong way: Splitting reciever, drawing the piston back half way, placing drill on cylinder and going mad (usually takes a huge chunk out of the shell too). Job done, 2 minutes. (Warranty cost: €25 or so, even more when it all goes wrong)

The correct way: Removing the gearbox, opening it up and removing the cylinder, centre punching the point to be drilled, drilling it, removing swarf from both sides and assembling the AEG again. (Warranty cost: as above)

To proper way: Remove gearbox, open it, change spring, reassemble. (Max cost to retailer €6 or so, maybe more if something by chance should go wrong.)

As you can see, the correct way to drill a cylinder is more labour intensive than changing a spring - but saves money up to the point where the warranty conviently runs out. Changing the spring, in any gun costs a few quid, but you save your reputation and so much less can go wrong down the line.

I feel bad for the new players who get very excited about their new gun, regardless of what it is and a few weeks down the line the gearbox goes and it's out of warranty, especially younger lads. It took me months to save for my first gun, luckily I upgraded it after a few months before too much could go wrong, but a lot of players don't have the skill or money to do this and leaves them horribly out of pocket, with a bad experience of the hobby.

Disclaimer: As most people know, I point blank refuse to drill anything, I pride myself on doing good tech work and would rather spend twenty minutes to downgrade a gun, than 2 minutes so I waste my time and get the same money. I only know how that's done because, well it's common sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Just to point out , if the retailer is IAA affiliated you could always open an official complaint with them.
    www.irishairsoft.ie or info@irishairsoft.ie will get to them , I'm sure they'd be happy to deal with your complaint / feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I missed this last night.

OP: As Horgn_P said, if the retailer is IAA affiliated then send us a mail and we can look into it for you. Email addy: info@irishairsoft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

We dont really sell many guns these days, except for the odd special order, and when we get one of those, its always a spring downgrade. However......

I'm going to play Devils advocate here and just mention a few things most of you not in the business may not know or may have overlooked....or might just be conveniently ignoring.

a) TIME: If you're receiving an order of 400 or 500 guns you aren't going to downgrade them by spring. It takes too long, and its not feasible. This is a fact. Its not an excuse, its a cold hard fact. I dont wish to offend any other retailers out there, but I'm not going to sugar coat this or say one thing in public and another in private. The horrible truth is that if you're downgrading every gun you sell by the spring change method, then you're selling **** all guns. Sorry, but thats how it is.

b) LEGALITY: There seems to be an impression out there that if you're a retailer, you're allowed import plus 1 joule guns, and downgrade them before selling. You're not.
    Even when ( or if ) the licensing system is introduced, there is no provision within that for a retailer to import an overpowered RIF and downgrade it - its against the law now, and will be for the foreseeable future. So, I'm not saying its always the case, but I know for a fact a lot of the time, the drilling is done outside of Ireland before importation in order to ensure the shipment gets through customs. If you dropped €30,000 on a shipment of guns, would you risk them being seized at Dublin Port and you losing your investment ? I dont care how much you love airsoft, or how altruistic you are, you arent going to take that risk.

c) COST: A spring might only cost a few euro, but the tech opening up the gearbox has to be paid. VAT has to be paid for the spring. PRSI has to be paid for the tech. State contributory pension has to be paid for the tech. Lighting and heat has to be paid for the workspace the tech is using. Rates have to be paid for the premises the tech is working in. This is Ireland, and if you follow all the rules, its very expensive to do business.

d) THE "GREY" ECONOMY: This is never discussed on Boards, but everyone knows it goes on. Or at least everyone with an ounce of cop-on and common sense does. Of all the retailers in this country ( About 23 or 24 now ? ) a large number of them aren't legit. And by that I mean they aren't paying VAT, rates, employee tax and pension contributions, public liability insurance or a whole host of other obligatory costs. Now, I know the above is going to piss off some people, and I'll be asked if I have any proof of it.
    Well, I'm not going to name names, but the proof is there for anyone to see who knows anything about business or generally is able to rub a few brain cells together to produce a train of thought. I know how much a gun and parts cost at wholesale, and there is only a difference of a few dollars at most between the various Asian suppliers and wholesalers - certainly not enough to allow someone sell a gun at a ridiculously low price and make a profit. And its very hard for those who do pay taxes and associated costs to compete with them. In fact its becoming impossible.
    Theres also a large number of guys out there who fix guns as a hobby, and charge for it. I'm not saying they shouldnt, or that its wrong (in fact I've often thrown people some guns to repair in return for store credit or cash in hand when we were overwhelmed, and I dont have a problem with it). But these people dont have anywhere near the costs associated with doing repairs or downgrades as a registered business, so its very easy for them to (perhaps unwittingly) adopt a holier than thou attitude.

e) PHYSICS: Now this one will really annoy the purists :)
    Theres only one retailer in this country who has sold more airsoft guns than me over the last last five years...maybe two. I have sold THOUSANDS of airsoft guns. Literally thousands. In the early days, there was nothing sure and certain about importing RIFS - it was a very risky endeavour, so as a matter of LEGAL NECCESSITY, downgrading was most often done outside of Ireland, by drilling the nozzle (in my case anyway).
    I see this argument pop up every few months, and the same old horror stories are dredged up. Heres the real scoop folks - Downgrading a gun by drilling the nozzle or cylinder is not ideal by any means, but it does not cause as many problems as people would have you believe, if its done correctly. Now, before anyone runs off to Woodies to buy a length of rope to throw over a nearby lamppost and invite me to try on a new necktie, let me clarify that. Drilling can cause problems. I've seen it cause problems. But of the many, many guns we've sold, a very minor percentage indeed have come back with the problems you hear about in these kinds of threads. And if you have an ounce of common sense or customer service awareness, you fix the problem, apologise and move on.

f) DECEIT: Again, not going to name names, but there are retailers out there who lie about how they downgrade guns. I've long since stopped getting upset about it, but I've seen the physical evidence with my own eyes. Sometimes unfortunately, people who live in glass houses throw stones when they shouldn't, in order to talk themselves up, or a competitor down.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, but really, people need to realise a few things. No matter how much you love the game, you need to accept that in order for airsoft to succeed in Ireland as a business model, compromises need to be made. Most guns made are made to be 1.2j to 1.7j - the Irish market is blip on the radar of world airsoft. Very few manufacturers make guns to be less than 1 joule unless their country of origin has a legal requirement for them to do so, therefore it will always, always, always be more expensive for an Irish retailer to source stock, and remain legal, no matter which method of downgrading they choose.

Some of the above points are not entirely relevant to this discussion on their own, but they all play a part in how airsoft is run as a business in this country, and they all need to be taken into account when you look at the whole downgrading issue.

So, to sum up for those of you who couldnt be bothered reading this far - Downgrading by any method other than changing the spring is not ideal, but its the only cost effective way to sell large volumes of airsoft guns in this country and stay legit, and alternative methods are nowhere near as damaging as you might think or hear. You'll always hear about the 5 or 10 people who had a badly drilled gun that developed problems, but you never hear about the other two or three hundred whose gun works just fine with a drilled nozzle or cylinder.

I didn't post this in order to start a fight, or discount any of the valid points made by previous posters because indeed there are valid points on the other side of this argument, I posted it just to perhaps give you pause for thought. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered in this discussion that I think are being overlooked. There may even (shock, horror !) be people posting with an agenda.

Now....I think I'll go find a bunker to hide in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

Shiva wrote: »
    Now....I think I'll go find a bunker to hide in !

* Throws flashbang into bunker, somersaults in after it, unleashes the noice...
    a) TIME: If you're receiving an order of 400 or 500 guns you aren't going to downgrade them by spring. It takes too long, and its not feasible.

True, very true, as I said. It would be hard to look at the pallets and say 'c'mon lads lets open every one of these suckers up'. Saying that, anyone who orders a volume like this should at this stage have the sway with the manufacturer to produce 1 joule at factory. (I know this isnt feasible at all times)
    b) LEGALITY: There seems to be an impression out there that if you're a retailer, you're allowed import plus 1 joule guns, and downgrade them before selling. You're not.

Very very true, we've taken to sending our springs out to VFC to make 100% certain AEGs are legal. As a small retailer, it'd be curtains to lose a couple of grands worth.
    c) COST: A spring might only cost a few euro, but the tech opening up the gearbox has to be paid. VAT has to be paid for the spring. PRSI has to be paid for the tech. State contributory pension has to be paid for the tech. Lighting and heat has to be paid for the workspace the tech is using. Rates have to be paid for the premises the tech is working in. This is Ireland, and if you follow all the rules, its very expensive to do business.

You can sing that brother.
    d) THE "GREY" ECONOMY: This is never discussed on Boards, but everyone knows it goes on. Or at least everyone with an ounce of cop-on and common sense does. Of all the retailers in this country ( About 23 or 24 now ? ) a large number of them aren't legit. And by that I mean they aren't paying VAT, rates, employee tax and pension contributions, public liability insurance or a whole host of other obligatory costs.

Perhaps this is something the IAA can 'look into' as part of the affiliation process to promote 'fair trade' in the sector and to help those businesses who do things by the book. But you know yourself, if someone is offering stuff at too good to be true prices, then its...
    e) PHYSICS:

I'm not even going to touch this one Tony :pac: I'll just say that I hope the practice of 'venting' continues for many years yet, i'll have kids to feed and educate someday ;)
    people need to realise a few things. No matter how much you love the game, you need to accept that in order for airsoft to succeed in Ireland as a business model, compromises need to be made. Most guns made are made to be 1.2j to 1.7j - the Irish market is blip on the radar of world airsoft. Very few manufacturers make guns to be less than 1 joule unless their country of origin has a legal requirement for them to do so, therefore it will always, always, always be more expensive for an Irish retailer to source stock, and remain legal, no matter which method of downgrading they choose.

The inherent problem in Ireland is a fear of being ripped-off. When a guy goes on Redwolf or Ehobby and sees an AEG for say $500 he says to himself, ah that's E360, thats grand. He calls an Irish Retailer and asks for a quote, retailer says, E550, guy says 'f**k off you robbing b*st*rd'.

The list of costs is too long too list if your business is legit but guys are still allergic to giving their retailer a 10-15% premium and are still going off, ordering abroad and running the custom's gauntlet.

Newsflash - Other Irish Retailers need to make a few quid to stay in business, in the large they're not trying to screw you, they're trying to survive whilst doing things legitimately.

If the Irish Airsoft Community doesnt support Irish Retailers then you're going to end up with 1, maybe 2 retailers left when the importation ban is enforced. That'll be fun ;)

• Advertisement

TNTQ wrote: »
    The inherent problem in Ireland is a fear of being ripped-off. When a guy goes on Redwolf or Ehobby and sees an AEG for say $500 he says to himself, ah that's E360, thats grand. He calls an Irish Retailer and asks for a quote, retailer says, E550, guy says 'f**k off you robbing b*st*rd'.

The list of costs is too long too list if your business is legit but guys are still allergic to giving their retailer a 10-15% premium and are still going off, ordering abroad and running the custom's gauntlet.

Newsflash - Other Irish Retailers need to make a few quid to stay in business, in the large they're not trying to screw you, they're trying to survive whilst doing things legitimately.

If the Irish Airsoft Community doesnt support Irish Retailers then you're going to end up with 1, maybe 2 retailers left when the importation ban is enforced. That'll be fun ;)

This i think is true and no so there are retailers out there that do rip people off . again i run my own business and know too well the cost of business in Ireland but one thing i have learnt from it is there is making a 10-15% which i am fine with and then making 150% on the other hand .

I recently ordered a AGE off you lads have no got it yet but price was decent and id rather order Irish then buy off Ehobby , but in my searching i was looking at a Irish site and the price of a similar AEG compared to Scottish site was just plain stupid you where looking after shipping from the Scottish shop about €660 and the irish site was selling the AEG for €1300 to me that is robbery but hey some site like that will not stay in business long .

To the other sites i deal with i live with Irish prices as i know the cost of running things and you have to make money to live and buying from Irish suppliers helps us in the long run .

But i think certain Suppliers need to be more honest Drilling is yes a way to down grade but maybe tell the guy who is spending his hard earned 200 euro that this AEG is drilled or if you pay €35 i will put a spring into one , i reckon most when told about the difference will pay the extra .

* Throws flashbang into bunker, somersaults in after it, unleashes the noice...

Noize. N.O.I.Z.E. Noize.

N00b :)

Saying that, anyone who orders a volume like this should at this stage have the sway with the manufacturer to produce 1 joule at factory. (I know this isnt feasible at all times)

I was hoping someone would say that :)
    Scary fact, as of about 18 months ago when I last checked. In order to get one of the Chinese factories to produce 1 joule guns, you need to order 100 cartons of one model. In the case of a JG G36c, that would be 600 guns. I can only imagine it being even worse, if not impossible these days with the changes in Chinese airsoft.
    Obviously, not all manufacturers would have the same MOQ - for example, G&G made guns to order for me when I was selling them, but it meant a delay of a few weeks for every order. Swings and roundabouts.
    Perhaps this is something the IAA can 'look into' as part of the affiliation process to promote 'fair trade' in the sector and to help those businesses who do things by the book.

They wont have to. One of the requirements to get a license to sell RIFs Iif its ever implemented) is that the retailer must have a vaid, current tax clearance cert. That would decimate the airsoft retail industry in this country overnight.

I'm not even going to touch this one Tony

Thats cos my logic is unassailable and I am all knowing and all seeing :P

Dont get me started on that - if you were to search back through my thread you'd see more than one stand up row between me and some ill-informed gob****es who dont even understand how shipping, VAT and and tax affect everything you buy in this country.
    It used to drive me insane. These days I'm much more mellow and relaxed :)

jeawan wrote: »
    But i think certain Suppliers need to be more honest Drilling is yes a way to down grade but maybe tell the guy who is spending his hard earned 200 euro that this AEG is drilled or if you pay €35 i will put a spring into one , i reckon most when told about the difference will pay the extra .

Ahh yes.....thats a very good point. However....

Lets say you have, oh....200 guns ( or 10, it doesnt really matter ) sitting in your warehouse, that haven't been downgraded, and you downgrade them on demand.

The Gardai pop in to conduct a quick inspection, and take some of your stock for chronoing. Its happened to me, and a few other retailers I could name. Its not a sign that you've done something wrong - its a spot check they are entitled to perform, and its specifically legislated for in the amendment to the CJA.

You just been caught with 200 (or 10) unlicensed firearms in your possesion.
    "Bye bye business", and although unlikely, it could also be "bye bye liberty" when you get sent down.

Would you risk that ? I wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Just curious, is there no provision for licensed retailers to have in their possession AEG's that are over powered, with the intent of downgrading them?

J.D.R wrote: »
    Just curious, is there no provision for licensed retailers to have in their possession AEG's that are over powered, with the intent of downgrading them?

No, none at all. we lobbied for it when the IAA were discussing the amendment to the CJA with the DOJ, but we were told point blank it was never going to happen.

Customs and Revenue, nor the Gardai, are stupid though, and I'm sure they know that hot stuff is getting through.
    They may well be turning a blind eye to importation of hot guns by retailers, knowing they'll (most likely) be downgraded before sale.....but that could change with the stroke of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

No, none at all. we lobbied for it when the IAA were discussing the amendment to the CJA with the DOJ, but we were told point blank it was never going to happen.

Customs and Revenue, nor the Gardai, are stupid though, and I'm sure they know that hot stuff is getting through.
    They may well be turning a blind eye to importation of hot guns by retailers, knowing they'll (most likely) be downgraded before sale.....but that could change with the stroke of a pen.

So, and obviously this doesn't have to be answered if it would put retailers in hot water, but how do ye get guns in? Is it a case of all downgrading being done outside of the country?

So, and obviously this doesn't have to be answered if it would put retailers in hot water, but how do ye get guns in? Is it pot luck and hope they aren't checked or is it a case of all downgrading being done outside of the country?

So...United just clinched the premiership for the 19th time. Deadly :)

but how do ye get guns in?

us_army_world_war_2_pack_mule_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

It's all boiling down to the same thing,buyer beware. If you have friends taking up the game, point them in the direction of retailers you trust. If you have a genuine problem, fight for your rights and tell your friends about the problem if it can't be resolved fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

This is by far one of the most interesting threads here in a long while, thanks everyone for the input! Seems like its a case of cost over profit... isnt everything really.

As it stands the whole retailers situ in Irl reminds me of nearly all retailers in Irelands 15+years ago... lots of little Irish run shops and in some cases a few chains of 2 or 3 stores. So the retailers dont have the buying power to stock in hundreds of line items and dont get supplier discounts cause of that and that means their costs go up and have to drill in order to stay viable. Understandable.

BUT we all know what happened when the large British mega stores came in and set up huge shops here like Currys. They decimated the smaller Irish retailers through no fault of the Irish guys it just turned out that the bigger the store the more you can buy and more you can get off per line item. The only real issue with that business model is - are there enough customers to make it viable?

I'd be interested if any retailers have considered that? Set up together in a a mid size store and focus mainly online. Professional site, a few gun techs, big savings for the customer based on savings that can be made by buying large quantities. Would retailers trust that the community could support a venture like that? TBH I know loyalty to a store plays a big part but if a retailer in Irl is shipping @ 40 eur cheaper than the rest I think the vat majority of players would be shopping there.... I mean look at currys on any given sat , people walking out with mental items and they certainly arent opting to shop in a small Irish retailer and pay more. I guy the tough part of that business model would be assessing "how big to go" vs "how much potential custom would be taken in"

• Advertisement

Ahh yes.....thats a very good point. However....

Lets say you have, oh....200 guns ( or 10, it doesnt really matter ) sitting in your warehouse, that haven't been downgraded, and you downgrade them on demand.

The Gardai pop in to conduct a quick inspection, and take some of your stock for chronoing. Its happened to me, and a few other retailers I could name. Its not a sign that you've done something wrong - its a spot check they are entitled to perform, and its specifically legislated for in the amendment to the CJA.

You just been caught with 200 (or 10) unlicensed firearms in your possesion.
    "Bye bye business", and although unlikely, it could also be "bye bye liberty" when you get sent down.

Would you risk that ? I wouldnt.

I can understand that completely . again i think if the shops have the Aeg's then they should be able to have over power ones that havent being upgraded but getting that into law would probably never happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

hey guys I read throught this entire thread and to be honest i was amazed at the information that i didnt know and that others did know and gave up freely:D it actually felt like a forum.
    so to my question for someone who has absolutely no idea what he is doing when it comes to cracking open aegs is there anyway to tell that his nozzle has been drilled or the spring downgraded seeing as the seller could simply lie about it.
    for example i bought an mp5 from my local retailer and it chronoed in at 275-285. I thought it was the spring but on my 2nd skirmish it just packed in firing as throughout the game it was weird selecting between single and full auto he said it was trigger mechanism and fixed it on warranty and i now thinks this is happening again 1 skirmish later so is this maybe gearbox related?if needs be i will start a seperate thread.

thanks
    Sharpy

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    hey guys I read throught this entire thread and to be honest i was amazed at the information that i didnt know and that others did know and gave up freely:D it actually felt like a forum.
    so to my question for someone who has absolutely no idea what he is doing when it comes to cracking open aegs is there anyway to tell that his nozzle has been drilled or the spring downgraded seeing as the seller could simply lie about it.
    for example i bought an mp5 from my local retailer and it chronoed in at 275-285. I thought it was the spring but on my 2nd skirmish it just packed in firing as throughout the game it was weird selecting between single and full auto he said it was trigger mechanism and fixed it on warranty and i now thinks this is happening again 1 skirmish later so is this maybe gearbox related?if needs be i will start a seperate thread.

thanks
    Sharpy

If it is drilled allot of retailers that do it put a warranty sticker over the drill if im not mistaken but again other would k now more about this then me

hightower1 wrote: »
    I'd be interested if any retailers have considered that? Set up together in a a mid size store and focus mainly online. Professional site, a few gun techs, big savings for the customer based on savings that can be made by buying large quantities. Would retailers trust that the community could support a venture like that? TBH I know loyalty to a store plays a big part but if a retailer in Irl is shipping @ 40 eur cheaper than the rest I think the vat majority of players would be shopping there.... I mean look at currys on any given sat , people walking out with mental items and they certainly arent opting to shop in a small Irish retailer and pay more. I guy the tough part of that business model would be assessing "how big to go" vs "how much potential custom would be taken in"

That just doesnt exist in this industry, unfortunately. I used to deal with one of the largest wholesalers in China during the busy times, and even they offered only 2% - 5% discount, depending on brand and model, if you purchased at their highest level. And their highest level was bloody high - if I remember correctly I would have had to have been spending six figures per order to reach it.

I also dont think the market in this country is big enough for that kind of venture. In fact, this is going off topic a bit, but the market in this country is crazy. Its way over-populated with retailers. I had to laugh at someone commenting a week or so ago, when talking about a new retailer opening, that it was a "much needed new retailer". Thats utter bollocks :)

The last thing this industry needs is new retailers. The saturation of retailers is killing the industry, and while the consumer might be making short term gains as the retailers try to cut each others throats on low prices, eventually it'll collapse. You'll have two or three large retailers who deserve to survive by being lean, stock-optimised and cash-healthy, and perhaps a bunch of smaller hobbyists who cant hope to compete with the big guys, and who will close overnight when the licencing system is implemented and they're asked to produce tax certs.

Anyone who opens a new airsoft shop in the current climate is one of three things - 1) A 100% dyed in the wool optimist, 2) someone who's just been laid off, has a few grand to spend and didnt do an ounce of market research, or 3) a blithering idiot.

All three could arguably be the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Can I just say, that this thread makes for very depressing reading material.

Zomg Okay wrote: »

Try reading it from my position :)

Zomg Okay wrote: »

As is the case in most dysfunctional relationships, we all just need to come together :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Great post Tony.

I thoroughly enjoy those sort of posts, and they are the ones that people should save in a notepad file and read twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Hey OP, did you contact the retailer in question with your concerns before coming on boards? Speaking of naming and shaming like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

horgan_p wrote: »
    Just to point out , if the retailer is IAA affiliated you could always open an official complaint with them.
    www.irishairsoft.ie or info@irishairsoft.ie will get to them , I'm sure they'd be happy to deal with your complaint / feedback.

The real IAA or the continuity IAA? Hard to tell which you mean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement