Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Bernard Dunne v Poonsawat Kratingdaengym thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have watched several clips of Poon and what is good for Dunne here is the height and reach advantage.

Also, Poon is not overly aggressive and pressuring like KIko. He is quite methodical and precise and is far from a speedster. This will suit Dunne for pacing reasons and power
    reasons. He is the type of fighter that Bernard can expose.

Dunne will always have issues with aggressive and pressuring punchers.

If Poon wants to win, he has to really take it to Dunne and force Dunne to fight
    for every second. If Dunne wants to win, he must be patient and focused and
    maintain distance, keeping Poon at bay with the jab and combinations
    whilst always staying very defensive and using lateral footwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodgrigez

Other - no contest, draw, technical draw etc
    Interesting fact Poonsawat has only ever boxed outside of Thailand once and that was his only defeat in Germany. I think this maybe key for 2 reasons.

1) Poonsawat wouldn't have experienced a hostile crowd all in favour of his opponent it may or may not effect his game plan. An Irish crowd would be 10 times more vocal then any german crowd he experience with his only loss. OK different fight, different fighters.

2) We all know if its a close enough fight till the end that usually means a home win. The judges tend to favour Home fighters in close fights, hell they dont even have to be close.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Dunne points win
    All i have seen of PK was his fight against cordoba (although i have 2 other fights on dvd which i plan on watchin during the week) and I felt that Cordoba made much more of an impression against PK in the latter rounds. Poon I felt wasnt as agressive in these rounds as he was in earlier rounds, one thing I would say is that cordoba was quite happy to be backed up into the corner or on the ropes and soak up a lot of PKs punches (mostly on the glove or shoulder) i would expect dunne to have a different approach and lets see how the little prawn cracker reacts to somebody hitting him back :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulmac13

Dunne points win
    13663046 wrote: »
    You say how much Poon has improved since the Cordoba fight, but no one has mention how much Cordoba had improved since the Poon fight. this was 4 years ago and Cordoba was 20 and from looking at the fight he was just a boy. Both fighters have changed and improved and in my opinion if cordoba had fought Poon now rather that 4 years ago he would beat him.

You arent in your prime at 20 more like 30.

I myself am for Dunne, he will wear Poon down with accurate punches and wouldn't be suprised if he stopped him also poon has travelled either so am looking forward to how he handles it.

This will def be dunnes toughest fight as Poon is none stop and everyone wants to avoid him, and being from thai those guys have been in wars from when they were kids, even if they have poor records they are still very tough.

Kevin

I have to agree with this, it will be dunne's toughest fight to date, tougher than the cordoba fight, this guy realy is a well polished kiko martinez, and for some reason small agressive fighters do well, with this guy especialy, his defence is tight, apart from leaving himself open to the odd kidney shot, he completely covers up. When he is covering up, on the back foot, he kind of reminds me of ian nappa, who is or was the british bantam weight champion. Same height, build same defence. For me the way to get past this guy is to weather the initial storm, i think its a givin poon will come out like a bull, and then establish the jab and get into a rhythem with footwork and jabs and left hooks, push this guy back. He has nothing when he is on the back foot, and contery to what most people think, the work dunne is and has done with mike mcgurn, has givin dunne a world class knock out punch. So weather the storm, dunne starts to fight his fight, disrupts poons gameplan, pushes him back, let the combos go, especialy the left hook to the body and poon will be there for the taking. Just hope he does not get caught cold, if not, i see dunne winning by tko round 8 or 9, imo. just once he sticks to the game plan. Best of luck dunne, il be there rooting for you.
    Paulmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

Poonsawat points win
    Rodgrigez wrote: »
    2) We all know if its a close enough fight till the end that usually means a home win. The judges tend to favour Home fighters in close fights, hell they dont even have to be close.:D

Fair point, but wasn't Cordoba ahead on ALL THREE judges scorecards before Dunne knocked him out!?! Everyone was a little surprised to find that out after the fight, but perhaps it demonstrates that international events aren't going to be given biased judging here.

There have been a lot of good points made here re this fight. My gut still tells me Dunne can scrape this. Unless he gets caught cold I think he has the skill, determination and (new found) stamina to overcome a hungry Poon (haha). SHould be an excellent night of boxing and hopefully both the Thai and our lad will get the recognition they deserve out of it.

MCMT wrote: »
    Fair point, but wasn't Cordoba ahead on ALL THREE judges scorecards before Dunne knocked him out!?! Everyone was a little surprised to find that out after the fight, but perhaps it demonstrates that international events aren't going to be given biased judging here.

There have been a lot of good points made here re this fight. My gut still tells me Dunne can scrape this. Unless he gets caught cold I think he has the skill, determination and (new found) stamina to overcome a hungry Poon (haha). SHould be an excellent night of boxing and hopefully both the Thai and our lad will get the recognition they deserve out of it.

He was ahead, and if recall, most here thought Cordoba deserved to be ahead, I did, and I thought he was two to three points up. He had a massive 5th rd and won the first and second and Bernard knocked him down in rd 3 I think...

This Thai needs a KO to win I feel. He's small and will be out boxed if he tries to out box
    Bernard. If he really is top top rated, not just officially, and does possess the good punch, then Dunne needs to be so damn careful. Me thinks the Thai is overrated, but we can't fault Dunne, as he is being forced to meet the guy as the mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Alright. More of a threadreader for boxing on boards, but just thought I'd add dates to Vintagekits post below. Dunne's higher level record is more recent, but again, more bare. Will watch more Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (which is the surname?!) before predicting.

that somsak fella is ranked 4 in thailand now, still an A level fighter in that case? If so, that's still only one recent A fight, but experience stands for sure.

Lets compare their top level fights.

Dunne -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W. (2009)

B Level fights - Kiko Martinez L. Reidar Walstad W. Esham Pickering W. (2007, 2007, 2006)

Poonsawat -

A Level fights - Ricardo Cordoba W. Somsak Sithchatchawal W. Wladimir Sidorenko L. (2005, 2008, 2006)

B Level fights - Simon Ramoni W. Leo Gamez W. Rafael Hernandez W. 2002, 2005, 2009

Poonsawat also has more B- level fighters on his ticket as well.

Therefore I would say that Poonsawat has the better record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Dunne points win
    It's a DUNNE deal lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

makl wrote: »
    Alright. More of a threadreader for boxing on boards, but just thought I'd add dates to Vintagekits post below. Dunne's higher level record is more recent, but again, more bare. Will watch more Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (which is the surname?!) before predicting.

that somsak fella is ranked 4 in thailand now, still an A level fighter in that case? If so, that's still only one recent A fight, but experience stands for sure.
    Dunne will make a fool out of this fella, trust me girls thaliand is ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Poonsawat points win
    I doubted Dunne in the previous contest and was made to look quite foolish, but I still don't think he's got enough in him to knock Poonsawat out... I've tickets to this so It's gonna be awesome, if Dunne doesn't come out on top, at least a fight as entertaining as his last and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Poonsawat points win
    What are the €60 tickets like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Johner wrote: »
    What are the €60 tickets like
    Yea I'd be interested in finding that out as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

joker77 wrote: »
    Yea I'd be interested in finding that out as well

you can go on to ticketmaster.ie and there is a seating chart available so you can see where you will sit, really there isnt a bad seat in the house, i would suggest square on view of the ring if possible

I am looking forward to the fight, but since Sutherland's death, I feel there will be something missing (for everyone involved). Dunne knew the chap as a friend and I am sure he will be quite affected by it. I hope he stays focused and committed to pull through this fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Whats the undercard for the fight?

• Advertisement

Poonsawat points win
    anyone remember what time Dunne vs Cordoba started at? Will be over in Wigan at the Chelsea match on the 26th jus wondering what time Dunne Poonsawat is likely to start

It was between 10.40 and 10.50 pm. I would expect a similar time on the 26th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Poonsawat points win
    walshb wrote: »
    It was between 10.40 and 10.50 pm. I would expect a similar time on the 26th

maybe the introductions started then but the bell to start the first must have been a good bit later. Sure it was nearly 00:30 I think by the time Dunne either won or was announced as winner.

Poonsawat points win
    Thanks lads. Sky + it is and phone turned off till the next day!

Paddypower has it down to start at 10:15 - a little optimistic methinks

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    maybe the introductions started then but the bell to start the first must have been a good bit later. Sure it was nearly 00:30 I think by the time Dunne either won or was announced as winner.

No, wasn't that late if I remember, but yes, maybe it was 11 or barely after when the bell sounded for rd1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Dunne points win
    Will this be live on RTE?

Poonsawat points win
    No, wasn't that late if I remember, but yes, maybe it was 11 or barely after when the bell sounded for rd1

It was definitely the next day when he became champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

This might interest you folks, there was a special on Bernard, Harry Hawkins and Mike McGurn on Radio 1 last night.

You can access it here or get it on iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Poonsawat points win
    tyson fury has been added to the bill now. good stuff

Jayob10 wrote: »
    tyson fury has been added to the bill now. good stuff

That is good news. I will be at this show, so anyone have an idea what
    time schedule for fights/fighters is in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Challenger arrived in Dublin this morning, was met by some good Thai friends of mine over here.

I told them to tell him he will go back as he came - a challenger.

Good piece in the Sunday Time about this fight. It will not be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 T100

Great turnout to welcome him about noon today from the Thai-Irish community at the airport. Delay in visa queue but emerged confident and very suprised by the HUGE welcome.
    I got the chance to talk to him and his team. Total of 5, very respectful yet confident. I wouldn't bet against him. Esan farm boy, they're lovely people, but not to be f**ked with.

Wait until you meet the Isan women......they are twice as tough ! I married one.

Friendships will be put aside on Saturday, I will be in the Green,White,and Orange.

Poonsawat points win
    spongeman wrote: »
    Challenger arrived in Dublin this morning, was met by some good Thai friends of mine over here.

I told them to tell him he will go back as he came - a challenger.

Good piece in the Sunday Time about this fight. It will not be easy.

Excellent, now all we need to do is find his hotel and keep him awake the night before the fight.

• Advertisement

Is anyone going to press conference today?

I'm stuck in work :(

Dunne points win
    it has been moved to wednesday out of respect as sutherlands funeral is today

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

Poonsawat points win
    alanceltic wrote: »
    it has been moved to wednesday out of respect as sutherlands funeral is today

Where is it being held (the press conference, I mean)? And what time? Sorry, I'm being a lazy bollox today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

That is good news. I will be at this show, so anyone have an idea what
    time schedule for fights/fighters is in place?

Bren is this your first ever pro fight to attend?

Bren is this your first ever pro fight to attend?

It is. I was bought the tickets as a present. To be honest, I wouldn't go and pay to see Dunne, or many others. I much prefer the tv and relaxing. However, I'll give it a bash and
    see how it goes. I am seated in Block J. I have no idea the layout for this fight, I just hope I can clearly see the action.

I just hope Dunne wins, because if he doesn't, I am betting there will be a Donnybrook at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Poonsawat points win
    A donnybrook??? pardon the fact im lost on that one :D

I'm putting €50 down on Poonswat knocking out Bernard at 3/1

Bernard has a poor chin that will be exposed by a top calibre fighter.

donnybrook, a scene of uproar and disorder, or a heated argument.
    A free for all.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_word_donnybrook

I'm putting €50 down on Poonswat knocking out Bernard at 3/1

Bernard has a poor chin that will be exposed by a top calibre fighter.

Dunne's punch resistance is probably Poonsawat's primary hope. Dunne looked damn shaky numerous times against Cordoba, who isn't a puncher. If the Thai is as good as the rating suggest, then it will be a dangerous fight, however, a loss to Sidorenko?

If Sid can do it, then the bigger Dunne has a good chance. Sid is a bantamweight without power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dunne points win
    anyone read the star today? bit cheeky Darren Sutherland's death and the very next page hugh poster for the fight saturday no need for it right next to the mass is it struggling to sell out? only reason behind it

• Advertisement

but1er wrote: »
    anyone read the star today? bit cheeky Darren Sutherland's death and the very next page hugh poster for the fight saturday no need for it right next to the mass is it struggling to sell out? only reason behind it

how is that cheeky?? do you think they asked for it to be placed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

ok i know this is about as likely to succeed as whipping it out, facin into a wind and not getting splash back, but... does anyone know of somewhere with tickets for sale. Love to go but 225 is a bit out of budget. Is anyone trying to offload 50 or 75 tickets with a small profit in it for them even? Let me know in a pm please
    Jer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dunne points win
    john47832 wrote: »
    how is that cheeky?? do you think they asked for it to be placed there?

no but any need to promote him next to the death of irelands next talent?

Signpost wrote: »
    ok i know this is about as likely to succeed as whipping it out, facin into a wind and not getting splash back, but... does anyone know of somewhere with tickets for sale. Love to go but 225 is a bit out of budget. Is anyone trying to offload 50 or 75 tickets with a small profit in it for them even? Let me know in a pm please
    Jer

did you try ticketmaster

Poonsawat points win
    Jer

I know this chap from Meath(think Brian is his name), he's trying to offload tickets for €50, but all the €60 he had are gone.

Go to ticketmaster you gowl ;)

donnybrook, a scene of uproar and disorder, or a heated argument.
    A free for all.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_word_donnybrook

I bet ticketmaster would try to add on a 6.35 fee for that as well!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Jer

Ticketmaster still have some.

Dunne points win
    I just hope Dunne wins

I take full credit for getting you to do a Uturn on your opinions of Dunne :pac::pac::pac:. It would be quality to post a pic of you cheering on Dunne at the weekend, I told you 6 months to jump on the bandwagon lol.

On the seating arrangement, seriously the O2 is as good a venue as any 10,00 seater in the world and there isnt a bad seat in the house, the viewing angles completely unrestrictedand and surprisingly close even from the gods. Once you taste the atmosphere you will be bitten by the buzz, seriously I have been to All Irelands, ryder cup, champs league semi finals and none of them get close to that atmosphere. 2 things about sat night, the undercard is piss poor but the main event is so strong its not material and secondly I have a feeling that tactics will turn this into an unspectacular fight for the punter but I would be more than happy for Dunne to win ugly. Just heard on the news that Murray is out for saturday!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I to have witnessed first hand many different sporting events and pro boxing cards in the states but there is something special about a Dunne fight at the point. None more so IMO than the Kiko fight. That night was electric, the atmosphere when the fighter entering the ring was amazing ... shame about the result :pac:

I'm really looking forward to Saturday night. I think Dunne can win a decision against this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Murray out with a broken collar broken and its probably too late to get anyone decent in to replace him.

right are we goin to arrange a wee drinkipoo at this fight.

I am goin to wear my Irish boxing supporters club tie and a white shirt - tomorrow is the last day of my honeymoon and I am tanned as feck (as tanned as I get anyway) and I am a devilishly handsome wee son of a gun so shouldnt be hard to miss. Come up and say hello and most importantly of all buy me a drink to congratulate my on my recent nuptials.

This is a picture of the tie. http://www.irish-boxing.com/stories/january09/jan09_irish_boxing_awards.html

alanceltic wrote: »
    I take full credit for getting you to do a Uturn on your opinions of Dunne :pac::pac::pac:.

He's not there yet - wont be official until he hits the appropriate button on the poll

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement