Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can They do this?

• 20-06-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

Ok just been to get my mag which was sold out at the petrol station I normally get it(which is a good thing i guess more and more people want it) so I was in Tesco @ Wilton(Cork) and they had it so i marches up to the counter with it proudly in my hand. So the woman scanned my new TAKE AIM Mag and said in a pleasent voice"that will be 8.77 please"?? So I said in my pleasantest kindest sweetest voice "You got to be joking me woman it clearly states 7.00 on the barcode" which I pointed out to her she moaned about thats the price blah blah blah so I asks for the manager he trots along with his jolly fat belly and sweaty armpits decides to tell me the price on the cover is wrong blah blah blah I tell him not on your nelly pal its 7 quid take it or leave it he said politley"piss off" so off i pissed to another petrol station(bottom of the north link) and picked up my copy produced 7 quid and now I back home with a cold can of Lager and my fav mag in front of me wanting to read it but thought Id better tell u all in Cork not to try and buy ya fave mag from Tesco in Wilton the thieving b@@$£;%s..

Cheers
    S..

i moved this cos the other thread is getting closed I think??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

they can charge what they wish really. Such is the nature of the consumer market. you will find 7.00 is the RRP... Recomended Retail Price, not the rosetta stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Firekitten wrote: »
    they can charge what they wish really. Such is the nature of the consumer market. you will find 7.00 is the RRP... Recomended Retail Price, not the rosetta stone.

The nature of the consumer market is aso that you can take your business elsewhere if someone's being a muppet. Fair play to the OP for taking his business elsewhere.

precicely.... just explaining that they can indeed do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

If you're complaining about a difference of 1.77 you probably shouldn't be buying the magazine in the first place. I work in retail while part time while I study, and the people who complain about the price to you as if you're part of some grand conspiracy to rip them in particular off, are pretty much the worst people in the world.

they must have hated you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ass wrote: »
    pretty much the worst people in the world.

Pretty much eh? Indeed, I guess the only people actually worse than them would be the people trying to rip them off and then moan when they get called to task on trying to rip people off.

I'll bet PR people just f*cking love you ...

Lemming wrote: »
    Pretty much eh? Indeed, I guess the only people actually worse than them would be the people trying to rip them off and then moan when they get called to task on trying to rip people off.

I'll bet PR people just f*cking love you ...

I don't mind people taking their business elsewhere or not wanting to get ripped off, but when they're of the opinion that you personally are trying to rip them off. The guys selling the product, and very often the managers too, don't actually set the prices.

And I might add, in the majority of cases, the people who complain to me about the prices in my shop are often abusive, and are complaining about a difference of price of no more than 20 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

And I might add, in the majority of cases, the people who complain to me about the prices in my shop are often abusive, and are complaining about a difference of price of no more than 20 cent.

Thats why they pay you.

I don't mind people taking their business elsewhere or not wanting to get ripped off, but when they're of the opinion that you personally are trying to rip them off. The guys selling the product, and very often the managers too, don't actually set the prices.

So if a customer doesn't complain, how does whomever sets the prices get wind that the customer isn't standing for their prices ...

• Advertisement

Thats why they pay you.
    I get paid to serve customers. Serving customers does not entail taking their abuse.
    Lemming wrote: »
    So if a customer doesn't complain, how does whomever sets the prices get wind that the customer isn't standing for their prices ...
    Very very few products are brought down in price due to customer complaints. Most of the prices are set based off a recommended retail price which would be based upon a bunch of different variables.

Sometimes managers will drop the price based on the sale frequency as well. Very very seldom does it have anything to do with customer complaints.

you only recive abuse if you dont serve them right... think about that one ;)

you only recive abuse if you dont serve them right... think about that one ;)
    You've obviously never worked in retail then. : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Getting quite of the topic of Airsoft lads...:P

Fair play to the OP though.

Getting quite of the topic of Airsoft lads...:P

Fair play to the OP though.

Its on topic with respect to the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭IAN-SOMERS

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure this was an error on Tesco's system. It only came to our attention a couple of days ago and we've been trying to get to the bottom of it. It'll be sorted this week.
    But I will say this, don't pay a single cent over 7.00 euro for Take Aim. Your local easons should have it on thier shelves for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Very very seldom does it have anything to do with customer complaints.

And even then, its possible to complain without being abusive. Some people think just because you're selling them stuff you lose your right to some dignity and respect. Right with you on that one.
    I get paid to serve customers. Serving customers does not entail taking their abuse.

Quickest way to get chucked out of Eirsoft is to abuse someone on the payroll. I dont care what they did wrong, or how badly you think you've been treated - We will always respect our customers, and do our best to make sure they are satisfied if they have a complaint, but they do not, ever, get to abuse the staff just because they're annoyed about something. I've told the lads the same thing - look after the customers, but dont take any abuse.

With all due to respect to everyone jumping on the man, Ass has a point. Retail staff dont set policy, and they arent getting paid based on how often they "rip you off". And that also annoys me - you're being ripped off if you pay for something and dont get it, or if its shoddy and the seller wont replace it or satisfy you.

Just because a shop charges more than their competitor, doesnt mean you're being ripped off - if means they think, in this free market economy of ours, that they can make the sale at that price. If you want it cheaper, shop around, and they'll get the message that they cant, in fact, sell it at that price, and will reduce it accordingly, or lose the profit on the sale.

Claiming you're being ripped off is a load of cobblers, to be honest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

ASS I see where your coming from but the point of this is the mag clearly states 7 euro on the front why should they chuck an extra 1.77 on top that?? I honestly dont give a toss about the 1.77 its the principal??
    You work in retail right so if something says clearly printed on the box this item costs (lets say) 23.99 and when the fella brings it to you at the counter and you say that will be 26.53 please you reckon he gonna pay you that??
    Doubt it..

S..

The point of this thread was can they actually charge whatever they want when the price is clearly printed on the cover

P.S.. Great mag lads and lassies keep it and come to Cork next month??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Aren't they legally required to display the actual price something costs on or near the product?

Where is it you work people want 20 cents off? The Euro store :)

Just kidding Bro..

S..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Customers.....Grrrrrrrrr. I reckon its got worse since this flipping recession started as well, when things were good you'd hardly check never mind complain about prices, and becoming abusive towards retail staff is the height of ignorance, take it up with the Managers/Owners its their job to sort it out if they can, if the dispute cannot be rectified civilly take your business elsewhere. End of.

Positivity people! :)

Smokerkl wrote: »
    Where is it you work people want 20 cents off? The Euro store :)

Just kidding Bro..

S..
    I work in a Centra, which are not supermarkets. They're convenience stores. So you can expect things to be more expensive than places like tesco or lidl. I've had customers give out to me because the prices of one of our products was 3c more expensive than what they thought they saw it for in Tesco.

Working in retail opens your eyes up to just how endless people's pettiness can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I work in a Centra, which are not supermarkets. They're convenience stores. So you can expect things to be more expensive than places like tesco or lidl. I've had customers give out to me because the prices of one of our products was 3c more expensive than what they thought they saw it for in Tesco.

Working in retail opens your eyes up to just how endless people's pettiness can be.

Jesus some people would make a penny bleed their fist is so tight lol

And I will I wasnt rude abusive or nowt like that I was just so pissed off they tried to overcharge when the price is there in black and white!!
    S..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting alright.

Alot of people assume that a price advertised is literally sometimes the price you get it. This is definitely not the case.

On magazines the "printed" ink on the actual magazine does not constitute the price of the item advertised by Tesco. This is the price advertised by the wholesaler/manafacturer ( in this case take aim). RRP stands for Recommended Retail Price. Not..recommended. It means thats what ideally it should be charged at, but the seller/retailer can charge what they bloody well like.

So you were actually completely in the wrong....as the advertised price you say was not in fact an advertised price AT all.

You may notice most magazines have a much cheaper price on their actual cover (if the artist/ designer puts one on).

And can I just clarify what price the mag actually is, I think I've been charging 6 euro in the shop :O

And to echo what Tony says. Kindness gets you a **** lot further in the retail world and im talking frm bags of experience.

Act the dick and your going to get one politely ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

a lot of the mags you see on the shelves though are UK prints so the RRPs are usually in GBP. its possible too, that take aim have an agreement with the shop to sell at a certain price which would say they dont have the right to charge what ever they like. tis only speculation though. :)

Masada wrote: »
    a lot of the mags you see on the shelves though are UK prints so the RRPs are usually in GBP. its possible too, that take aim have an agreement with the shop to sell at a certain price which would say they dont have the right to charge what ever they like. tis only speculation though. :)
    that is a damn good point... isnt Take AIM made in the uk?

TheDoc wrote: »

So you were actually completely in the wrong....as the advertised price you say was not in fact an advertised price AT all.

And to echo what Tony says. Kindness gets you a **** lot further in the retail world and im talking frm bags of experience.

Act the dick and your going to get one politely ...

I did not act a dick as u put it I simply stated its 7 quid i aint paying 8.77 for it

S..

• Advertisement

Didnt say you acted the dick, just saying, in general...to everyone.

You say you were politely told to piss off and I could well imagine why...

People in shops are normal people too with problems, annoyances and sometimes arnt always in a happy I'm going to make your experience awesome mood, I've been like that down through the years, and on those days when someone gives you completely un-justified grief, you just feel compelled to ensure you do nothing to help them out.

that is a damn good point... isnt Take AIM made in the uk?

nope, tis an irish mag, hasnt gone to the uk market yet. :)

Bejesus... id gripe over 1.20 too....

7 euro or at best 6 for a mag? thats like.. lots...

Do you get a free aeg with each issue? or is it like one of those collection ones?

Tappet plate and buttstock screw this month!
    Spring guide and a screw next!

speaking of screwing...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Shops are legally obliged to display the price they are "offering goods for sale at". With mags & papers this is normally the cover price, if its priced in GBP they convert to euro & put the new price on with a price gun they can also up the euro price this way. So if they can't show you where they have a price display showing €8.77 instead of €7 they are breaking the law & you can report them to the Trading Standards.

speaking of screwing...

I take it then that you havent been over here yet ?

I look forward to your comments on the cost of living here :D

Well im Jewish... what do you expect if i dont whinge about money?

I mean i have like totally more important things to spend it on...

You should care... one is your shop!

• Advertisement

... sorry but LOL. :D

The thoughts of you haggling prices with me are scaring the living bejesus out of me. Theres only one soultion.

Want a job ?

God no.....

Looks like Richie only has his cars left ;)

I hear skanger me banger are looking for staff Richie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Didnt say you acted the dick, just saying, in general...to everyone.

You say you were politely told to piss off and I could well imagine why...

People in shops are normal people too with problems, annoyances and sometimes arnt always in a happy I'm going to make your experience awesome mood, I've been like that down through the years, and on those days when someone gives you completely un-justified grief, you just feel compelled to ensure you do nothing to help them out.

Ditto for that. I work in wholesale and the difference between a customer getting the nice fresh produce and the week old crap is how they act. Also Ive seen the mag being sold for a tenner at certain places.

• Advertisement

I hear skanger me banger are looking for staff Richie ;)

:pac:

Well im Jewish... what do you expect if i dont whinge about money?!

Why is a 50p shaped like it is?
    So U can get out of a Jew's hand with a spanner!! :)

Sorry couldnt resist myself!!

S..

Shiva wrote: »

Want a job ?

I can still read boards from sweden for **** sake....

I can still read boards from sweden for **** sake....

Well done Tony, he's going to be thinking about his job being usurped by a girl the whole time he's in Sweden.

and you know what they say ... a distracted soldier is a dead soldier. ;)

Its doc.... He's been distracted from birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭IAN-SOMERS

hi guys,
    just to confirm to you all that there was an error in Tesco's pricing system. It's not clear how it happened but I can confirm that Take Aim is still 7 Euro in all Irish stores including Tesco.

Advertisement