Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safety Brief - Tick Protection

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

got one dnagerously close to the nut sack last summer..........thank god the twizzers worked cause there was no way i was burning it off!!!!!!!:eek:

:eek: x 100 10000 if they burrow through on the search for blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Growing up in the country you get a fair few tick bites over the years. I have always found olive oil on the tick, and a minute or two later pull it off with a tweezers with an anticlockwise twist motion. The olive oil obstructs the breathing, causing the tick to loosen its bite, making for easier removal. Its best gripped with the tweezers on the hard part below the abdomen.

Burning will leave the head stuck in you, increasing odds of irritation and infection.

Also when looking for ticks, look in soft skin spots such as armpits, back of knee, crook of elbow, testicles, ankle area, in between fingers and neck area (these are all areas I have been bitten multiple times before in the past).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ghostwarrior

Also when looking for ticks, look in soft skin spots such as armpits, back of knee, crook of elbow, testicles, ankle area, in between fingers and neck area (these are all areas I have been bitten multiple times before in the past).

Sir, I Bow to your Awesome display of man'esque

I do belive i and everyone here owe's you a beer!!!

Ladys and gentlemen, this is guy is a legend!!!

but on topic, in my years in the reserve and scouts i never came accross them. now i'll be going through Decon at every regen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

we get ticks all the time on our expeditions. last weekend one fella got about 4, and one person got one. i was thankfully free this time. for me, i always find the little feckers in my bellybutton. major yuck. the ballsack is a dodgy one to get a tick on sometimes. i know someone who lost a testicle from not removing it right and getting an infection. true story. his other one overcompensated i think, cos he has a billion kids now. lol.
    like has been stated, smother them then twist them out with a tweesers. the heat method is more suited to leeches than ticks.

tics are a natural part of the outdoor life in ireland. the worst bug in ireland i think is the clegg. i dunno its real name. its a big flying insect found in rushy areas. its bite is really nasty and it pits and rots a bit. some people have massive reactions to them. shoot them on sight. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Ewww, and also yuk, but thanks anyway Malt. It's better to know your enemy than to live in blissful ignorance (like I did until today).

At least now I know what to look for and where :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tudenham10

Thanks for the info, looks like my OCS could be on it's way back!

Anybody know where to get the permethrin insecticide treatment for uniforms in Ireland?

Just the facts...

DOD Insect repellent System

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tick Talk

Hi all - we are a nats whisker away from reaching our target of 250 signatures on our Lyme petition. If you're a Lyme sufferer or know of someone with Lyme or maybe even have ME or MS and is worried about it being misdiagnosed (Lyme symptoms are very similar) or even an active outdoors person who are concerned that they could be at risk of Lyme then we'd love to hear from you. Once we have reached the target we're planning to send the petition to the Dept. of Health, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre and the European Parliament. Here's your chance to raise your concerns!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Lyme-Disease-Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭+*EliteSniper*+

ASI Casper wrote: »
    Stripping naked, smearing yourself with deer turds and rolling around naked in long grass = much more likely to pick them up. But also likely to get picked up by police.
    Lol thats not a good idea

Tick Talk wrote: »
    Hi all - we are a nats whisker away from reaching our target of 250 signatures on our Lyme petition. If you're a Lyme sufferer or know of someone with Lyme or maybe even have ME or MS and is worried about it being misdiagnosed (Lyme symptoms are very similar) or even an active outdoors person who are concerned that they could be at risk of Lyme then we'd love to hear from you. Once we have reached the target we're planning to send the petition to the Dept. of Health, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre and the European Parliament. Here's your chance to raise your concerns!

I signed it, its on 243 as far as i know. I signed it because am a sniper and am probably lying beside a town of them when am sniping lol

Thanks so much for signing our petition :)

Thanks so much for signing our petition :)

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

Thanks for the info ......but i am seriously freaked out sitting here i feel stuff crawling on me im horrible paranoid

Mr X15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info ......but i am seriously freaked out sitting here i feel stuff crawling on me im horrible paranoid

Oops, sorry about that. :D

I guess just being aware of the dangers is a good thing but if you do find one on you the less time it has been on you the better so if people keep an eye out for each other it should be fine. The ones who do get Lyme can be treated successfully if caught early so if we can get the word out to more people the better. Also, if you know of anyone with a diagnosis of ME or MS or even Parkinson's it maybe worth suggesting to them to get tested for Lyme, just to be on the safe side. The symptoms at the later (disseminated) stage of the disease can mimic these other illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Well, I never worried about these before reading your thread.
    What size are they anyhow, say compared to a grain of rice.
    Never noticed the critters so far tg.
    I'm heading over to sign your petition, sounds like a good idea.

tonky wrote: »
    Well, I never worried about these before reading your thread.
    What size are they anyhow, say compared to a grain of rice.
    Never noticed the critters so far tg.
    I'm heading over to sign your petition, sounds like a good idea.

Brilliant - thank you :)

They can vary in size from 0.5mm (size of a full stop) at larva stage up to around 3mm at adult size. Larva ticks only have 6 legs and they develop 8 as they mature. Ticks that have been feeding swell up to a huge size like a coffee bean.

Sorry to make everyone's skin crawl - there's some pics. of different sized ticks at http://www.bada-uk.org/learn/FAQ/faqticks.php

(Not for the squeamish!)
    http://www.bada-uk.org/learn/Gallery/tick-gall.php

Pictures of EM rashes can be found at http://www.bada-uk.org/learn/Gallery/rash-gall.php

NB: not everyone will get a rash or it may crop up in a different area to the bite! Many people who have EM rash says it is seldom itchy but can be warm or painful.

We have hit the great 2-5-0 - wahay!!! Will be keeping the petition open for a few weeks longer due to an up and coming article being published in the Irish Farmer's Journal - thought it would be great if the article highlights the rising problem in Ireland and then a petition makes it way to Dept. of Health pretty soon after.

Am currently looking for people willing to complete a questionnaire on their Lyme experiences in Ireland. This would be totally kept anonymous - no names, ages, addresses will be required or quoted. If anyone would like a copy of the questionnaire drop us a line.

Let's raise our glasses of mineral water (non sulphite, non coloured, non alcoholic - let's not overdo it(!)) and toast the momentous occassion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

I clicked on that first link and exited it within 5secs..... Those things scare the **** outta me! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Really interesting and informative topic. I've just signed the petition and good luck with it. I go to our martial arts summer gathering in the States every summer and last year we had the opportunity of training with a Navy SEAL whose been to tracker school and covered the topic of Survival techniques etc. Tracker Dan was explaining various hazards and the subject of ticks came up and he actually contracted Lymes Disease and of course I thought it just ticks from abroad that were carrying Lymes but Dan explained that this was not the case. He also have a kit for sale that included a tick remover as he explained how easy it is to infect yourself by poor attempts at removal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would not have even bothered with this thread, only for my day in MAc has been slightly scuppered by the absolute outbreak of bites I have on my arms, that is now starting to sting, and looks like I have a number of infections. I'm in rag order.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Harlequin Wolf

LYME disease..................is that the one that makes ye go puzzle happy? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Would not have even bothered with this thread, only for my day in MAc has been slightly scuppered by the absolute outbreak of bites I have on my arms, that is now starting to sting, and looks like I have a number of infections. I'm in rag order.....

That maybe just the cooties ya caught off stone! :p Its nice to know that I'm not the only one the little winged beasties like to eat.

On a more serious note a good insect repellent comes in very handy if you game in any form of woodland or grassland in general.

Someone said Harry Crosbie was on the Late Late Show and mentioned he had Lyme - there's a bit about him here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2008/1213/1229035645192.html

Irish Times Saturday, December 13, 2008

Twenty years ago, when Crosbie bought the old Point Depot from CIÉ for £750,000, refurbished it and turned it into Dublin's biggest indoor music venue, he was taking a chance that Celtic Tiger cubs would be ready and willing to spend a few bob to go out and see a gig by an international band. Now, with the O2, Crosbie is banking on the economy picking up again in 2009, and it must be heartening to hear that most of the major acts booked over the next few months have completely sold out. One of Crosbie's favourite sayings is, "not for the faint-hearted", and seeing this new venture through will certainly require nerves of steel.

CROSBIE'S DREAM was to have U2 perform the first-ever gig at the new O2, but that privilege will go to Boyzone, when they appear at the Childline concert on Tuesday, along with Anastacia, Enrique Iglesias, Shayne Ward, Scouting For Girls and The Script.

In the past couple of years, Crosbie has had to fight a difficult personal battle, after being struck by Lyme disease. "It's a debilitating condition," observes his close friend. "I've watched him having to deal with that, but there has never been a moment when his head has dropped or he has looked like giving up. He's come out the other side of it now, but there's elements of it that will be with him forever. It would have slain a lesser man."

When Crosbie stands at the entrance to his new gaff on Tuesday, greeting the great and good of the music business, he'll be using a walking stick for support. But he will still be holding his head high.

CV: Harry Crosbie

Who is he? Harry Crosbie, property developer and venue owner

Why is he in the news? Crosbie's transformed Point Depot, rechristened the O2, opens its doors for its first gig on Tuesday

Most appealing characteristic: He'll have you in stitches

Least appealing characteristic: He's a bit of a U2-head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

TheDoc wrote: »
    I havent looked in this thread before today, im sorry to hear u were feasted on doc, the first time they feasted on chuck he looked like the elephant man afterwards but he use a lot of repellent now and they seem to avoid him, me thankfully i must not have nice blood i never get bitten go figure, i hope it didnt spoil your fun to much :D

Lyme Disease: Under Our Skin

Members of Face book group Tick Talk Ireland are hosting the eye opening DVD “Under Our Skin” (a film documentary about Lyme disease), across several parts of Ireland; including Galway, Kerry & Kilkenny.

Lyme disease, a tick-borne infection, is spread widely across North America and Europe and has become an increasing danger across UK and Ireland.

Symptoms can be dramatic and life changing, as they mimic many other illnesses such as MS, ME and Parkinson’s. Early recognition and treatment is vital.

Check out the following dates for Under Our Skin in Galway.

Entrance is free, but seats may be limited.

Ballinasloe Library – Thurs June 18 (6pm - 8pm)
    Westside Library – Sat June 20 (3pm - 5pm)
    Oranmore Library – Wed June 24 (6pm - 8pm)

Not suitable for young children!

To view a trailer of the movie go to: http://www.lymeinfo.net/underourskin.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

LIDL have some basic insect repellent for sale at the moment, due to the weather I imagine, would this be useful for spraying on ankles etc. to repel ticks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

LIDL have some basic insect repellent for sale at the moment, due to the weather I imagine, would this be useful for spraying on ankles etc. to repel ticks?

And Aldi have repellent with DEET in it too at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Rat squad

kdouglas wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, never really thought about ticks before.
    but your a mod.....you have to deal with ticks all the time........:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Speaking of ticks, I just got an itchy spot on my waistline, when I looked down it looked like a scab a closer expection and I saw little legs.

Yanked the bugger out, just wondering is it usual to have a lump left over after removal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Mosi-gaurd (I think thats what its called) thats sold in chemists claims to be effective at repelling ticks i just remembered

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Speaking of ticks, I just got an itchy spot on my waistline, when I looked down it looked like a scab a closer expection and I saw little legs.

Yanked the bugger out, just wondering is it usual to have a lump left over after removal?

Yeugh - I don't remember have a lump when mine was removed. When you say yanked out, was it quite a quick pull or did you edge it out slowly? I'm just wondering if the mouth parts were left behind? The mouth parts are like little jagged swords to help them latch on and if left in the skin it can cause infection to develop. It maybe worth getting that checked out - if the doc. puts you on antibiotics it can also prevent Lyme spreading (if the tick was infected with this also.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Yeugh - I don't remember have a lump when mine was removed. When you say yanked out, was it quite a quick pull or did you edge it out slowly? I'm just wondering if the mouth parts were left behind? The mouth parts are like little jagged swords to help them latch on and if left in the skin it can cause infection to develop. It maybe worth getting that checked out - if the doc. puts you on antibiotics it can also prevent Lyme spreading (if the tick was infected with this also.)

I edged it out slowly. I have an appointment with the doc next week regarding other matters so I'll mention that.

At the moment its like a hive/heat lump, an itchy red lump.

Advertisement