Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Home advantage really did pay off for the Brits, a gold and a bronze they should have never got. No way Joshua and Ogogo should have got near the medal fights.(Do think the Joshua fight against Cammarele was close, but the Italian shaded it)

Think boxing has to do something to make the scoring more transparent big time, the new system for Rio along the lines of the pro scoring is only opening to the possibility to more dodging scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,674 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Cuban Fly was hardly a crowd pleaser. I think he is being overrated here. Very good, but not the best from this tournament. No way. Conlon IMO did excellent against him and the Mongolian was neck and neck and could have got that decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Joshua loses two of his fights and wins the gold - shows you what hometown advantage does for you

the problem of the integrity in boxing scoring continue - we'll be talking about it forever, the sad thing is boxers are by and large the most honest and gracious sports folk out there and they get probably the most contentious scoring system - a real pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Lomachenko should get the Val Barker again. Blew his competition away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    The Cuban Fly was hardly a crowd pleaser. I think he is being overrated here. Very good, but not the best from this tournament. No way. His QF win over Selby was far from impressive. Conlon IMO did excellent against him and the Mongolian was neck and neck and could have got that decision.

I thought he beat Conlan clearly and he definitely beat the Mongolian. You seem to be the only one that thinks otherwise.

Who would you regard as the most deserving of the Val Barker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I thought Joshua lost that, and was very poor. I got to agree the Italian brought it on himself with a lazy last round. But the Italian wasnt great either. Thats twice the judges have given him a win at these games when he should have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Sapiyev won the Val Barker. Was very good in the final today to be fair.

megadodge wrote: »
    I thought he beat Conlan clearly and he definitely beat the Mongolian. You seem to be the only one that thinks otherwise.

Who would you regard as the most deserving of the Val Barker?

He beat the Mongolian by three points over 9 mins. It was no way clear. It was very tight. No way he beat Conlon by 10 points. Ridiculous score. He was a couple of points better. I thought it was quite close.

My best boxer is probably the LWW Cuban or even Lomachenko!

BTW, had your Lithuanian tank got thru to the LW final Lmachenko would have eaten him alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

The Cuban Fly was hardly a crowd pleaser. I think he is being overrated here. Very good, but not the best from this tournament. No way. His QF win over Selby was far from impressive. Conlon IMO did excellent against him and the Mongolian was neck and neck and could have got that decision.

are you being serious, lord god , he is a class act, and def in top 3 in these games,

• Advertisement

are you being serious, lord god , he is a class act, and def in top 3 in these games,

Not my top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Not my top 3.

no but you dont seem to rate him at all, seems a personal opinion after he beat conlon, then again you like to be different

no but you dont seem to rate him at all, seems a personal opinion after he beat conlon, then again you like to be different

Ok, fair enough. Top ten he does make.

Anyway, separately: I felt a gold medal was lost on Paddy Barnes. He deserved that fight against Shiming, and he would have eaten that Thai boxer in the final. Barnes and Nevin were in the top ten in that tournament, no doubt. As good as any of the boxers in the whole tournament bar maybe Lomachenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

You know I'm a big Lomachenko fan, but even on this thread I, and others, mentioned that while Lomachenko was winning he was solid rather than outstanding - nothing like he was in Bejing.

Sapiyev, on his final performance anyway, was a deserving winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sapiyev put in a very accomplished performance today. I thought Joshua maybe shaded his final in the last round (but I certainly wouldn't have argued if they'd scored it two points in Joshua's favour and Cammerelle won) but he was way too easy to hit on his left side and when he did get hit at times it took him five seconds to readjust his defence. A physical specimen but someone who has Tyson Fury-levels of work to be done before he can look towards the big titles. It was a wonderful emotional cap to perhaps the most exciting Olympics in living memory, though.

Whenever I see Cuban boxers it always turns my mind to the three wonderful ones we have down in Cork languishing in an abyss of inertia. I hope to God they all get their chance to win or lose because it's no good to anyone being a classy fighter and existing on the margins of the sport.

Likewise the potential for the AIBA pro system is clear when you see the likes of Shiming Zou, the Kazakh fighters and even Roberto Cammarelle, there is enough talent in terms of fighters who haven't or can't realistically turn fully pro to make it an exciting prospect. We'll see, but I'm coming out of the Olympics with a more positive take on the whole idea.

megadodge wrote: »
    You know I'm a big Lomachenko fan, but even on this thread I, and others, mentioned that while Lomachenko was winning he was solid rather than outstanding - nothing like he was in Bejing.

Sapiyev, on his final performance anyway, was a deserving winner.

Yes, he dominated Evans, but Evans really was stale. Lomachenko wasn't the same force as in power and speed and overwhelming, but he seems a more complete boxer/puncher now. I also feel that the opposition a LW is stronger, and that Lomachenko is not as big as some of the guys, so taking this into account I feel his performances were very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lads, what's your opinion on the Shiming Zou fight? I didn't think it was the big controversy it was made out to be. He lost the last round, but not by the 3 the Thai boxer needed. Thought the scoring was sound enough. The referee was more at fault by giving the Thai a warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Lads, what's your opinion on the Shiming Zou fight? I didn't think it was the big controversy it was made out to be. He lost the last round, but not by the 3 the Thai boxer needed. Thought the scoring was sound enough. The referee was more at fault by giving the Thai a warning
    The thai boxer won the last round I thought on pure boxing. Throw in the 2 point warning and a warning that shouldn't be given to him and I he should have won.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Horrible fight and not a robbery. Close to call. The crowd and the thai reactions made it seem like a robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well I hope yiz all enjoyed that- a very successful Olympics for Irish boxers, all well deserving of their medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

582620_487787101251318_1840844254_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

4 medalists from 6 athletes is outstanding. Considering we only had one boxer at the 2000 and 2004 games the performances in Beijing and London are top class.

A lot of credit due to Gary keegan, Billy walsh and john cleary over the years. It shows what with can be achieved with a good structure in place. Hopefully things will remain in place and we will have a very successful world champs next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do any of you feel that paddy barnes fought dirty on friday?

i mean he blatantly threw the chinese guy to the floor in the 3rd rd, as well as giving him a sneaky knee into the ribs

even biased jimmy magee mentioned it

fryup wrote: »

i mean he blatantly threw the chinese guy to the floor in the 3rd rd, as well as giving him a sneaky knee into the ribs

Not dirty enough; a kick in the balls would have secured that gold medal bout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

fryup wrote: »

I doubt Zou even had any complaints about it. He only did it to negate Zou's renowned holding tactics, and the referee seemed to know it as he just let them at it. It might be the amateurs but Ricky Hatton's statement about boxing still applies 'this isn't a tickling contest'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

It’s funny, because as stated Zou’s main tactic was to use his height to stay outside and use his longer reach and when his opponent would get inside he would lean in and hold on to prevent his opponent from throwing any punches. He did this way too many times and Paddy Barnes had to muscle him around a bit to break those holds so they could have a proper boxing match. Zou used the same tactics against his Thai opponent, but the Thai boxer either didn’t have the strength and or the tricks that Paddy had to break the holds as easily and at one point when Zou was in the corner he put his head down, held the Thai’s arms and pushed him with his head all the way across the ring. The ref didn’t do a proper job of stopping this nonsense. Maybe if paddy didn’t use his muscle and tricks to break these holds, the ref would have penalised Zou, but if that was the case, as seen by the match with the Thai, the ref probably just would have docked Barnes to even up the deductions. Antics like Zhou’s shouldn’t be allowed, sine it isn’t boxing, it closer to wrestling. If Zou wants to wrestle, he should join the WWF and the refs should take docking points for holding and delay tactics more seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

didnt see johnjo's loss coming, was quite surprised really, really thought he was the better fighter. Someone in the pub said that if it was a pro fight, Nevin would win for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

didnt see johnjo's loss coming, was quite surprised really, really thought he was the better fighter. Someone in the pub said that if it was a pro fight, Nevin would win for sure.

Its funny cause all the pundits completely didnt see it coming.

If ever there was a time for a bit of caution, it was before an Olympic title fight......but Mick Dowling was like "he will be the first traveller boy to win", Bernard Dunne was saying he'd win that award for best boxer in the tournament, real pre-emptive stuff......only Kenny Egan was reserved about it, and thats presumably because he's the only one who had been in the same position.

For a non-boxing person like me, when you are trying to read between the lines, it looked to me like they where saying he was a shoo-in.....which obviosuly wasnt the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well if people in the pub said it, it must be true.

No matter what level that fight was at JJN was the loser.The tactics employed were completely wrong for Nevin and perfect for Campbell.
    For example if the fight was at pro level, Nevin would have lost one round 10-8 as he was knocked down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Bit of a noob question here, but how come there was no Featherweight category at this year's Olympics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Bit of a noob question here, but how come there was no Featherweight category at this year's Olympics?

The took it out to facilitate the women's boxing.

• Advertisement

Vastine was killed in a helicopter crash yesterday

efb wrote: »

The French lad?

No way. He was a lovely smooth boxer. Very sad.

The French lad?

No way. He was a lovely smooth boxer. Very sad.

Yeah and he was robbed twice in Olympics

efb wrote: »

Awful.

The chap was conned out of a medal 3 years ago and the image of him in tears will always stay with me. Moreso after the tragic events of yesterday. Dreadful stuff

Advertisement