Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Summer Camp?????

• 17-06-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Site owners and members

I was asked today by my friend if there is such thing as an Airsoft Summer camp? for teenager and kids(under 18),i have only been playing airsoft since March so i'm wouldnt know if there is such thing or if it has ever been done.If there is and there is one this summer could you please post a comment.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I haven't heard of one but if you talk to your local site owner (and bring sweets/cookies/cake) you never know what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey MLE,

I've been at this since 2006, and only turned 18 in march, so I'm just past what you'd call a young gun. I started the young guns day thing here, first at HRTA, then at Fingal, and now a repeat at Fingal this saturday.

The idea of a summer camp is something I've never thought of, and has its merits and issues. A summer camp is usually at least a week long, so we'll go on that pretense.

Transport: Most parents wont drive an hour each way twice a day to bring you. Some have a shorter commute but we're talking about the M50 on a monday morning here, not a pleasent experience. So, the only practical option really is to camp out there or live really close, that leads to my next point.

Accomodation + Supervision: If you were to have 30+ lads staying onsite, you'd need pretty hefty facilities. Pretty much the same requirements as a campsite and lots of chargers. Also, leaving a load of minors in a field by themselves...not a great plan. To have round the clock presence of adults is not gonna be cheap or easy.

Cost: this would have to be very well managed to keep costs down.

Breakdowns: Player X is 15 and has one M4, if it breaks on the 2nd day, what does he do?

Energy: Intense airsoft can be tiring, especially for the smaller lads, that full metal AEG is a lot heavier for them.

Think thats all the bad....oh yeah, child protection law could also be an issue.

On the good side though:

Exercise: No childhood obesity for you.

Comradery: Great co-operation skills taught(these would be usefull for parental persuasion)

Keep you outta trouble: Shouldnt be necesary but applies anyways.

Lots of fun: :D

Not as intimidating as heading to something like the UK events or any of the gatherings(not that there's anything to worry about, just the zimmerframe brigade:p)

Great way to get new players into the sport.

Training: Tactics, fire discipline, handsignals, hostage rescue, stealth, suppresive fire, gun repair and maintanance, technical tips....and so on.

Basically, I think the only prectical way to do this would be as follows;

Take one site op, rent a location in the city centre that everyone can get to by bus/luas and that is an area that parents wont have concerns over. The site would only be needed for 1-2 weeks, but would have to be fully enclosed. The site op would then need to get a new short term policy for that event and location. Then sign up marshals and players(who have played before and have on kit, radios would be good, just cheap ones). Game on at 10 every morning.

Its most likely too much hassle for anyone to want to take on.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of one but if you talk to your local site owner (and bring sweets/cookies/cake) you never know what might happen.
    Thats easy to decide,when they see this thread they know who they are:D LOL,

ah, i'm only messin ,but if any site owner around north dublin is doing a summer camp could they let me know please,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sounds like a great idea.

I know Dave from Rathbeggan has a water pistol thing on the go for the younger siblings of brothers/sisters playing on his site.

The idea of maybe having a summer camp for younger players is a good idea, but obviously has alot of things that would need to be ironed out.

(Not being sarcastic) Ozcam would be able to greatly contribute to the issues that you wouldnt think are required but definitely would be, running a camp for effectively minors.

But I think it would be an aright idea.

If it even taught youngsters about gun safety and responsability with items that look like guns ( even with water pistols) it would be a success.

Well last year i did a summer golf camp and it was on a monday and friday so no sleep over or anything like that so doing something like that for 3 weeks would be a lot easyier and i am only 15 min away from my closest site but if it was to go on from like 10:30-18:30 or something like that twice a week i wouldnt see much wrong with that.
    Thank for wrighting that Lethel Bullet;)

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea.

I know Dave from Rathbeggan has a water pistol thing on the go for the younger siblings of brothers/sisters playing on his site.

The idea of maybe having a summer camp for younger players is a good idea, but obviously has alot of things that would need to be ironed out.

(Not being sarcastic) Ozcam would be able to greatly contribute to the issues that you wouldnt think are required but definitely would be, running a camp for effectively minors.

But I think it would be an aright idea.

If it even taught youngsters about gun safety and responsability with items that look like guns ( even with water pistols) it would be a success.

now you said it Danial thank you,and Rathbeggan is only 15 min away from me(i live on the same road as Eirsoft) and like my golf thing it was on a Monday and Friday but i'm sure that those two day been before and after airsoft days would be knackering for some, something like a Tuesday and Thursday could be done.That if a site would like to do it because you would make business.
    And again it would teach youngersters about gun safty and improve there honesty in gameplay.
    Although i would like to use my G&G not a water pistol. LOL

Advertisement