Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga DVD

Options
  • 29-01-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

mood wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?

i watched the Ryan Giggs one and actually enjoyed it, tried a few of the stretches and it has me thinking about a yoga class once a week to add to my work out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have a Barbara Curry one that was recommended by my yoga teacher. I think it's very good.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

anything by david swenson if you want to do some ashtanga

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eeme

I got this dvd off ebay for €10

Really good, I've tried a lot of yoga dvds and this is the best one hands down.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296488398&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

I'd vote for David Swenson too, I really like the short forms dvd.

I also love Phil Migliarese's 'Yoga for Fighters' dvd... this is geared towards people who do martial arts, but the sequence is great for anyone who wants to get more flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

If you are interested in experiencing true yoga, it is well worth seeking out a good yoga teacher, and taking a set of classes with them.

Many people teaching yoga classes these days don't have either the correct amount of training or the years of practice in order to pass on the real gems relating to the essence of yoga.

Many classes tend to focus on just the physical postures, and leave out the fact that the physical postures are only 1 limb out of the 8 limbs of yoga.

And most yoga DVD's tend to fall into this category. And even the DVDs that do promote the full aspects of yoga..... you probably won't pick them or or bring them into your practice without a yoga teacher being present while you are practicing...able to see how you are practicing... see your physical alignment... listen to your breathing... see from the expression on your face how you are practicing... and many other levels depending on the experience of the teacher.... such as being able to guide you to practice thos elements which are best suited to your nature, and where you are in your life at present.

I have met many people who have come to my classes who told me they were practicing a couple of years yoga learning from DVD's...... and it is a shame that many are missing out on the finer aspects of yoga.

It is a huge body of knowledge, over 5,000 years old....... so well worth seeking out the genuine yoga teachers.

I wish you well on your path.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

burrenyoga I would go to a good class but funds are tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Mood, where do you live?

Dave

Advertisement