Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    You dont live next door to us do you!? :) My Mrs has our back garden full of spotlights & fairy lights along the fences & shed. The thing really lights up at night.

I must admit it was purely her idea & it does look great.

That is literally word for word description for our neighbours back garden....

However they are a retired couple in their mid-60's.... and I had you pegged for only late 50's :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    That is literally word for word description for our neighbours back garden....

However they are a retired couple in their mid-60's.... and I had you pegged for only late 50's :p

Only out by a mere decade.... :D 40's!

I must admit my Mrs got the idea to put them up for Christmas one year but loved the look so we keep them there all year round now. HAd to replace a load of them earlier in the summer as the solar powered ones stop working after a couple of years (or when a certain person accidentally snips the worse with the strimmer!:o)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My neighbor has her garden filled with beautiful spotlights and fairy lights, I'm totally doing the same for Christmas 2020 and will keep them lit for January 2021 onwards.

Sounds beautiful.

We never really put any Christmas decoration on the back however I know we have spare sets of outside lights so definitely going to do that this year. Will be a good excuse to leave the kitchen curtains open to look out at the lights :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just thinking guys, it’s only 12 weeks to November - sure that’s nothing! Before you know it Halloween will be over and we’ll be facing into the most wonderful time of the year :-) hopes that all will be better again (in terms of the virus) by the time we get there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Just thinking guys, it’s only 12 weeks to November - sure that’s nothing! Before you know it Halloween will be over and we’ll be facing into the most wonderful time of the year :-) hopes that all will be better again (in terms of the virus) by the time we get there

Oh wow! That is amazing. That is no time at all.

I'm actually looking forward to Halloween, handy that it falls on a Saturday, and I have the last week in October off. Hopefully I can get away for at least a hotel break.

So right now I'm aiming for October 23rd.... which seems even closer again :)

• Advertisement

We're the same, took the last week in October off & are heading to Killarney for a few days, just hoping the bloody restrictions don't come back to bite us in the ass again now.

Less than 3 months to the adverts!!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Will probably take that week as well (assume its mid term) as have lots of annual leave left to take. Have last week in August off too so will break up the next couple of months nicely and make the time go even quicker :eek:

I still have 24 days to take. Off next week & heading to Mayo for a few days, off that last week in October & taking 2 full weeks at Christmas again this year (wasn't the plan back in January but may as well now) and still have 5 more days to sort out between now & then... the bizarre thing is I'm so busy with work theres no stand out time to fit in another week off.

The new leave year starts for me in July so I already had 10 days to carry over so I now have 41 days in total...! We get the days between Christmas and New Years (don’t have to take it from our annual leave). I’m taking the week of 17th August off...trying to plan one or two things for it so not bored lol....then was thinking of taking more time in October and perhaps an extended Christmas break! It’s been a looong year so far!

Have never put the tree up before December before but just checked the calendar and the last weekend of November is the 28th and 29th so for the year that's in it we will definitely be putting up the decorations in November to brighten up the house.

Either had we until last year, the Late Late toy show was on the friday but we hadnt got time to get them up in time for it so put up the decorations on the Saturday Nov.30th instead which IIRC is the earliest we ever put them up.

This year was going to be either the w/e of 28/29 Nov or the first w/e in December that we'd put them up but given the year thats in it can see it being November again.

• Advertisement

Not sure when we'll put up the tree, I think it'll depend on if we are in lockdown and what phase... Does anyone stick on a movie while decorating? We usually have Christmas FM on, or our Spotify playlist.

We'll be doing a horror movie marathon through October, and then start into the Christmas movies from mid November ish. Last year we didn't get to watch many as we were moving into our house in November/December. We did get to see Klaus which was absolutely brilliant, definitely a new favourite.

Not sure when we'll put up the tree, I think it'll depend on if we are in lockdown and what phase... Does anyone stick on a movie while decorating? We usually have Christmas FM on, or our Spotify playlist.

We'll be doing a horror movie marathon through October, and then start into the Christmas movies from mid November ish. Last year we didn't get to watch many as we were moving into our house in November/December. We did get to see Klaus which was absolutely brilliant, definitely a new favourite.

We always have christmas music on, either one of the TV Christmas music channels, Christmas FM or my own Christmas playlist. Wouldnt be able to follow a film to be fair.

I always have Christmas FM cranked up while doing the decorations. :)

Was chatting to the Mrs on the drive back from Donegal and we have a wedding in Cork on the weekend of the 21st/22nd Nov, so will probably get decorations down the following week with aim to get tree up the weekend after. We went to a tree farm to pick out a tree for the first time last year so will probably do the same this year.

Have also ordered a Bluetooth speaker off Amazon so will be perfect for having Christmas FM on when doing decorations.

Can't wait, even talking about it as giving me the 'Christmas tingle' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I still have 24 days to take. Off next week & heading to Mayo for a few days, off that last week in October & taking 2 full weeks at Christmas again this year (wasn't the plan back in January but may as well now) and still have 5 more days to sort out between now & then... the bizarre thing is I'm so busy with work theres no stand out time to fit in another week off.

That happened to me a few years ago. Was into November and was owed 8 days holidays, had to leave 3 of those to cover getting fully paid over the Christmas holidays so for 5 weeks up to Christmas I took Fridays off.
    Same as yourself was too busy in work to take a full week but this was great to have 5 short weeks in a row.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Have also ordered a Bluetooth speaker off Amazon so will be perfect for having Christmas FM on when doing decorations.

Can't wait, even talking about it as giving me the 'Christmas tingle' :)

Don’t forget ChristmasFM is available all year round on your speaker. :D

Just posting cause I’m happy the site seems to be fixed and working normally again :)

Just posting cause I’m happy the site seems to be fixed and working normally again :)

I’m still having issues :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m doing everything earlier this year. Santa presents will be ordered as soon as the kids are back at school. I’ll put up the decorations in late November and I’ve half a mind to buy my turkey earlier and stick it in the freezer. I’m worried about another lockdown or restrictions messing things up and we can’t cancel Christmas whatever else may happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

LET OPERATION CHRISTMAS 2020 COMMENCE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We'll most likely put the tree up the weekend of 27/28th November, though this may change if we are flying home.

We had implemented that all staff had to take as close to 50% of their leave by the end of June or loose them. So I have 12.5 days left till the end of the year. We always have family over for a week in October so it looks like I will only have a week off for Christmas, so I am wondering if its worth the 8 hour flight home (covid hopefully being a thing of the past).

Its improved, that's for sure, was a pig over the weekend and large parts of yesterday. Still having trouble accessing via my phone though, so the gremlins haven't been banished completely.

screamer wrote: »
    I’m doing everything earlier this year. Santa presents will be ordered as soon as the kids are back at school. I’ll put up the decorations in late November and I’ve half a mind to buy my turkey earlier and stick it in the freezer. I’m worried about another lockdown or restrictions messing things up and we can’t cancel Christmas whatever else may happen.

We have the kids list prepared & will be starting to get them bought as soon as we get paid at the end of August, though to be fair we tend to get them in September every year so its no real change for us, we like to spread the cost of christmas across the 3 or 4 months beforehand & not leave it too close & with a big financial outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Just downloading a few episodes of 'can't wait for Christmas' podcast upon Loughc's recommendation. Can't seem to find 'tis the season'

Jude13 wrote: »
    We'll most likely put the tree up the weekend of 27/28th November, though this may change if we are flying home.

We had implemented that all staff had to take as close to 50% of their leave by the end of June or loose them. So I have 12.5 days left till the end of the year. We always have family over for a week in October so it looks like I will only have a week off for Christmas, so I am wondering if its worth the 8 hour flight home (covid hopefully being a thing of the past).

Yeah, any days we carry over into new leave year (starts July 1st), we have to use those days by December 31st or lose them - I carried over 10 and am taking 5 days in a few weeks, so will have another 5 to use before Christmas....not too shabby! Reckon I'll need them!

Ah so wasn't just me having issues yesterday. I was posting and then when I went back in the posts weren't showing so though they didn't work until F5'ed a couple of times.

Seems to be better this morning so fingers crossed.

We have the kids list prepared & will be starting to get them bought as soon as we get paid at the end of August, though to be fair we tend to get them in September every year so its no real change for us, we like to spread the cost of christmas across the 3 or 4 months beforehand & not leave it too close & with a big financial outlay.

We generally do the same. Also have a refund coming for annual rail ticket as cancelled it back in July so due a few months back. Will cover a few presents or more lights :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m usually a last minute person, so it’s a big change for me, but this year is very different. I’m going to spend some time this week putting together a schedule for what I need to do and by when. Although I do think this year will be more simple because I don’t think we’ll have Santa visits etc, so I’ll have to make the house extra special for the kiddos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Posy wrote: »
    LET OPERATION CHRISTMAS 2020 COMMENCE.

I'm definitely going to start buying bits and pieces for the Christmas cakes and puddings soon. The baking aisles were pretty bare in all my local supermarkets during lockdown, and they still aren't fully stocked. I have two of each to make and usually start making them the end of September, so I'm only a few weeks ahead of myself. The earlier they are made, the more whiskey I get to pour over the cakes anyway, so it's no harm!

• Advertisement

We always go big internally with the christmas decor, and have been increasing the external (to the front anyway, the back is sorted all year round) the last few years, think we'll be doing the same this year but will up the external decor (via the addition of a few thousand lights) this year as its likely to be a subdued Christmas in other ways.

Lets give it the big one!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement