Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching council registration before completing degree

Options
  • 24-07-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any way that I can register with the teaching council to substitute before completing my degree? Due to personal circumstances in 2017 I had to leave the education teaching degree programme I was registered on and I had one year to go to complete the degree. I have completed all modules with the exception of the last year.

I would like to go back and get the full degree possibly starting in jan 2021 and finishing in Dec 2021 if they allow me to. My employment prospects, both in teaching and other areas outside of teaching, will be better if I have my full level 8 degree.

Is there any way I can substitute in the mean time? There’s a huge amount of preparation involved in the teaching practise particularly because mine is a practical subject so need adequate time to prepare as I’d like to get 2.1 if I do go back in January 2021.

Thank you 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there any way that I can register with the teaching council to substitute before completing my degree? Due to personal circumstances in 2017 I had to leave the education teaching degree programme I was registered on and I had one year to go to complete the degree. I have completed all modules with the exception of the last year.

I would like to go back and get the full degree possibly starting in jan 2021 and finishing in Dec 2021 if they allow me to. My employment prospects, both in teaching and other areas outside of teaching, will be better if I have my full level 8 degree.

Is there any way I can substitute in the mean time? There’s a huge amount of preparation involved in the teaching practise particularly because mine is a practical subject so need adequate time to prepare as I’d like to get 2.1 if I do go back in January 2021.

Thank you ��

Afraid not, the minimum is a level 8 honours degree. You also need to be vetted by the Teaching Council and you need registration for that.

Just compare yourself to a nurse or doctor who have a similar situation to yourself - would you be comfortable with them assisting you unqualified?..

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Afraid not, the minimum is a level 8 honours degree. You also need to be vetted by the Teaching Council and you need registration for that.

Just compare yourself to a nurse or doctor who have a similar situation to yourself - would you be comfortable with them assisting you unqualified?..

That is a valid point thank you. However I know of some people doing the Hibernia masters and are substituting before completing the programme so I was hoping there was some way I could get some work to tie me over? I know of other people who got paid for supervision duties on teaching practise too . I’ve full Garda clearance too so was hoping to use the qualification in some way until I complete it

That is a valid point thank you. However I know of some people doing the Hibernia masters and are substituting before completing the programme so I was hoping there was some way I could get some work to tie me over? I know of other people who got paid for supervision duties on teaching practise too . I’ve full Garda clearance too so was hoping to use the qualification in some way until I complete it

Yes but they probably have a degree. You can register with the Teaching Council under further education if you are the holder of a level 7/8 degree. It is possible that they could be school paid substitution. Have you Garda Vetting with the Teaching Council.

Yes but they probably have a degree. You can register with the Teaching Council under further education if you are the holder of a level 7/8 degree. It is possible that they could be school paid substitution. Have you Garda Vetting with the Teaching Council.

No I don’t have Garda vetting with teaching council as the last time I did teaching practise was 2017 so I assume it’s expired? Because the degree is level 8 and I haven’t finished the last year it means I don’t have any qualification as it stands

No I don’t have Garda vetting with teaching council as the last time I did teaching practise was 2017 so I assume it’s expired? Because the degree is level 8 and I haven’t finished the last year it means I don’t have any qualification as it stands

You need Garda vetting from the Teaching Council or the school could be liable to a fine. The regulations for vetting got tougher (rightly so) a few years ago. I think it's updated every couple of years - I haven't done mine for a while.

You havn't finished your degree which makes you as qualified as regular Joe in the street. Thankfully, regular Joe can't be put in a classroom with minors without qualifications and vetting, otherwise we would have the world and his wife subbing in schools. (Don't take that personally). A school will never employ an unqualified/unvetted person unless they wanted to see themselves on the news for a case(s) in the High Court for employing such a person. There would be a principal vacancy if it ever happened.

I'm afraid you will just have to do finish your degree before you can enter a classroom. I don't know what the qualifications/training is for an SNA but you might be able to do that. If continuing your teaching degree, you would gain huge experience watching teachers do their thing and will also gain an insight into special needs. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

You need Garda vetting from the Teaching Council or the school could be liable to a fine. The regulations for vetting got tougher (rightly so) a few years ago. I think it's updated every couple of years - I haven't done mine for a while.

You havn't finished your degree which makes you as qualified as regular Joe in the street. Thankfully, regular Joe can't be put in a classroom with minors without qualifications and vetting, otherwise we would have the world and his wife subbing in schools. (Don't take that personally). A school will never employ an unqualified/unvetted person unless they wanted to see themselves on the news for a case(s) in the High Court for employing such a person. There would be a principal vacancy if it ever happened.

I'm afraid you will just have to do finish your degree before you can enter a classroom. I don't know what the qualifications/training is for an SNA but you might be able to do that. If continuing your teaching degree, you would gain huge experience watching teachers do their thing and will also gain an insight into special needs. Best of luck.

Yes I agree with you this is why I’m struggling to understand how some doing teaching practise are getting paid work, it doesn’t make sense especially in such a protected profession? I’ll earn income other ways and then will hopefully get the level 8. My subject is is practical so unlikely I’ll get work teaching but I’ll still be able to use it for other jobs!

Yes I agree with you this is why I’m struggling to understand how some doing teaching practise are getting paid work, it doesn’t make sense especially in such a protected profession? I’ll earn income other ways and then will hopefully get the level 8. My subject is is practical so unlikely I’ll get work teaching but I’ll still be able to use it for other jobs!

Teaching practice is different. You have been vetted by the university. When I did my dip, i got paid for subbing. Some of it was school paid and some department paid. Also most people do a degree and then the PME, which entitles them to register under further education.

And with that income - see where that will get you - finishing your degree and getting that teaching job eventually. Don't give up now. January isn't that far off. Having a practical subject is great because you will be able to that aside your teaching. It is a long slog to get that 22 hour CID but you have to keep at it! You're nearly there!

This might be helpful to you!!

LET NO-ONE STEAL YOUR DREAMS

Let no-one steal your dreams
    Let no-one tear apart
    The burning of ambition
    That fires the drive inside your heart

Let no-one tell you that you can’t
    Let no-one hold you back
    Let no-one tell you that you won’t

Set your sights and keep them fixed
    Set your sights on high
    Your only limit is the sky

Follow your heart
    Follow your soul
    For only when you follow them
    Will you feel truly whole

Set your sights and keep them fixed
    Set your sights on high
    Your only limit is the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

They'd have a degree or privately paid.

You could chance asking for sub work and get privately paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, because they have a degree. You can register with a degree and do subbing work. You have neither a degree nor a teaching qualification. You cannot register with the Teaching Council without a degree.

You don't have a qualification. Currently you are as qualified as the lad who left school after the Leaving Cert and is stacking shelves in the local supermarket.

• Advertisement

Yes, because they have a degree. You can register with a degree and do subbing work. You have neither a degree nor a teaching qualification. You cannot register with the Teaching Council without a degree.

You don't have a qualification. Currently you are as qualified as the lad who left school after the Leaving Cert and is stacking shelves in the local supermarket.

These didn’t have a degree, they were on teaching practise in order to obtain a degree so perhaps they were paid privately.

I’m quite snookered if I don’t finish it. Hopefully they’ll let me finish it after taking a break. The subject is art so job prospects are quite poor but getting the qualification will open up other opportunities (hopefully!)

These didn’t have a degree, they were on teaching practise in order to obtain a degree so perhaps they were paid privately.

I’m quite snookered if I don’t finish it. Hopefully they’ll let me finish it after taking a break. The subject is art so job prospects are quite poor but getting the qualification will open up other opportunities (hopefully!)

Have you informed your college of the troubles you had? They are pretty good at helping people out. It would be a shame to not finish it out now!

Advertisement