Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Budget - Best Matches in Dublin - HOUSE

Options
  • 04-07-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I have a limited budget to buy a house: 250K. I may reach 270K with a bit of sweat and sacrifice. I work in Santry and My son studies in Dublin4.
    My interest is in a house with a back garden because the main issue about my moving is my dog. I need some space and comfort for the dog and my family without fighting one micro war every week with neighbours and landlords. (PS: My dog is super well behaved. No barking, smells or noises)
    I don't want to stay so far from Dublin Centre. I have researched using some filters in Daft and MyHome and I got some options (listed below). I am not from Ireland, so I am not very familiarised with the neighbourhoods, so this post is to get the opinion of people that knows the city and has more experience on living in such places. Thank you in advance for the help!! :-) Family and dog are much appreciated!
    PS: Me and my son will be using public transportation initially.
    Well, using filters for houses of 2 bedrooms and rear garden with my budget (250 - 270), I had similar results in these places:
    Because I do not know the difference among them except by distance, Swords looks like the best option.

Swords
    Lucan
    Clonsilla
    Rush
    Balbriggan

Please let me know your thoughts about transport, quality of life, security, supermarkets and amenities... You know, things of our day by day life.

Thank you all !! Wish you all the best week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would highly recommend Swords or Rush. Swords has a bit more about it, lots of shops, restaurants, cinema etc. but given your criteria, you'll get better value for your money in Rush and likely a bigger garden too. With Rush you have 2 beaches (great for dog walks) and it's a nice town, the main street is a bit run down but it's friendly there's a lovely sense of community.

I wouldn't recommend Balbriggan for you as it's a good bit further out. There are some really nice parts of Balbriggan but some very dodgy parts too so it's a bit more of a mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Rush but you might need a car or bike to get to the train station. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You won't get a house in Clonsilla for that budget...daft.ie tends to lump everything in Dublin 15 into that category of Clonsilla. Most are actually Hartstown instead. There is plenty of Dublin 15 that would fit that budget though. Some would be in 'less desirable' areas but many would be absolutely fine but might be older houses in need of some work. Ongar and Tyrellstown would fit also. Best thing to do to get a feel for a certain area is put some addresses into Google of houses that are in your range and take a trip out on a regular evening and a weekend later at night and see what you think. Dublin 15 is where we have just bought and there are so many good areas and estates scattered around that wouldn't be immediately obvious. There's definitely less demand on second hand houses there because of the amount of new houses being built in the area.

Lucan I would have thought would be out of range. I'd be quite wary of a house in Lucan that has an asking price of 250 as it would indicate it needs considerable work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Swords or Rush (on train line), Swords has a good bus service due to the airport.
    Eta- did you see any in Donabate? Quite a lot of building happening and again on the train line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ELV_Dublin

You won't get a house in Clonsilla for that budget...daft.ie tends to lump everything in Dublin 15 into that category of Clonsilla. Most are actually Hartstown instead. There is plenty of Dublin 15 that would fit that budget though. Some would be in 'less desirable' areas but many would be absolutely fine but might be older houses in need of some work. Ongar and Tyrellstown would fit also. Best thing to do to get a feel for a certain area is put some addresses into Google of houses that are in your range and take a trip out on a regular evening and a weekend later at night and see what you think. Dublin 15 is where we have just bought and there are so many good areas and estates scattered around that wouldn't be immediately obvious. There's definitely less demand on second hand houses there because of the amount of new houses being built in the area.

Lucan I would have thought would be out of range. I'd be quite wary of a house in Lucan that has an asking price of 250 as it would indicate it needs considerable work.

Hi, thanks four your contribution. Yes you are right. The houses in the range of 250K are mostly in Ballbrigan. The ones in Swords and Lucan are at the range of 270K. The ones on Clonsilla look very nice, but I do not know if they are "really" Clonsilla as you said: "Meadow Drive" and "Willow Wood Lawn" are some examples of houses that appeared for me as Clonsilla in the range 250 - 270. And Some houses does not come with that BER classification. That may also be a differential and influence on the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Probably look at clondalkin too. You have the Luas , multiple bus routes and could connect to the number 18 which brings you to Dublin 4.

Rush and Lusk are very far out.

pc7 wrote: »
    Swords or Rush (on train line), Swords has a good bus service due to the airport.
    Eta- did you see any in Donabate? Quite a lot of building happening and again on the train line.

Hi! I have searched in Donabate and there are a lot of good opportunities there! But for 2 bed houses with garden, only in the range of 320K and above. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

ELV_Dublin wrote: »
    Hi, thanks four your contribution. Yes you are right. The houses in the range of 250K are mostly in Ballbrigan. The ones in Swords and Lucan are at the range of 270K. The ones on Clonsilla look very nice, but I do not know if they are "really" Clonsilla as you said: "Meadow Drive" and "Willow Wood Lawn" are some examples of houses that appeared for me as Clonsilla in the range 250 - 270. And Some houses does not come with that BER classification. That may also be a differential and influence on the price.

Those estates are Hartstown. Willow Wood has a LOT of houses on daft right now, a suspicious amount really. Both are old but well built, have viewed in both estates.

Would you consider Finglas? Would definitely need a good bit of research and trips out to it as there are older more established parts to it. Again older houses but far more likely to have good sized gardens. Crumlin/Dublin 12 in general also is full of well built older houses with good gardens. Pricier since it's so near to town but worth a look. Both are areas that shouldn't be written off as 'bad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

What about Crumlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

ampleforth wrote: »
    What about Crumlin?

Exactly, Some nice little houses for that price. (Might need a bit of TLC)

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Exactly, Some nice little houses for that price. (Might need a bit of TLC)

I looked into that area about two years ago, and even viewed a few places. Nice houses and to the better part a very settled community.

At that time, however, I also head a lot about some bad streets and the dynamics that goes with it. I think one would def. need to review the location carefully. Nevertheless, the prices looked right (recall some nice 3-4 bed semis in the 250k range with square rooms and good-sized gardens). Its close enough to everything. Just a thought for food ;)

ampleforth wrote: »
    I looked into that area about two years ago, and even viewed a few places. Nice houses and to the better part a very settled community.

At that time, however, I also head a lot about some bad streets and the dynamics that goes with it. I think one would def. need to review the location carefully. Nevertheless, the prices looked right (recall some nice 3-4 bed semis in the 250k range with square rooms and good-sized gardens). Its close enough to everything. Just a thought for food ;)

That is a good idea, thanks for you comment.
    I have now included Crumlin in my filters and hopefully some houses will appear in that area also. Is there such thing as "good area" and "bad area" in Crumlin? Like some streets or regions to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Crumlin seems a bit of a distance from Santry for work and Dublin 4 for Study purposes.

If I recall correctly though the 18 bus does run through Kimmage/Crumlin which might put you in striking distance of D4 as it goes as far as Sandymount.

Crumlin has I believe some very dodgy areas along with many pleasant ones. If I recall corectly Kimmage used to be the nice part of it but I really don't know it well at all out there.

If you are going that far afield why not include the likes of Drimnagh, Kilmainham and Inchicore?

All near the motorway at least and have access to both buses and the Luas to get into town and onwards to D4 for college.

Drimnagh I'd be least fond of as its more likely to have dodgy areas but like anywhere there's good and bad.

Kilmainham may be pricey but generally nice. Inchicore varies in price and quality but is an improving area in general so likely to be better again in years to come with luck. All of them are pretty convenient for the city centre with their transport links.

Wherever you buy, when you get closer to the deal, make sure you drive by, observe and walk the place at night multiple times (week day vs. weekend, etc.) and feel the place. There is nothing like checking with your gut to see if the place feels as good as night as it did during the day...

machalla wrote: »
    Crumlin seems a bit of a distance from Santry for work and Dublin 4 for Study purposes.

True. But since you buy, how long will you keep your job vs. how long do you plan to keep your place. Studies will also only last for a few years. Relevant locations may very well change and some things are just unpredictable...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Alli Babba

Swords has great transport with Dublin bus and swords express going straight into city centre and express buses going to D4
    Some apartments in Holywell are 2 beds with huge communal gardens and perfect for dog.
    2 bed houses in swords start from €250k and would be mainly terraced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi all,

I have a limited budget to buy a house: 250K. I may reach 270K with a bit of sweat and sacrifice. I work in Santry and My son studies in Dublin4.
    My interest is in a house with a back garden because the main issue about my moving is my dog. I need some space and comfort for the dog and my family without fighting one micro war every week with neighbours and landlords. (PS: My dog is super well behaved. No barking, smells or noises)
    I don't want to stay so far from Dublin Centre. I have researched using some filters in Daft and MyHome and I got some options (listed below). I am not from Ireland, so I am not very familiarised with the neighbourhoods, so this post is to get the opinion of people that knows the city and has more experience on living in such places. Thank you in advance for the help!! :-) Family and dog are much appreciated!
    PS: Me and my son will be using public transportation initially.
    Well, using filters for houses of 2 bedrooms and rear garden with my budget (250 - 270), I had similar results in these places:
    Because I do not know the difference among them except by distance, Swords looks like the best option.

Swords
    Lucan
    Clonsilla
    Rush
    Balbriggan

Please let me know your thoughts about transport, quality of life, security, supermarkets and amenities... You know, things of our day by day life.

Thank you all !! Wish you all the best week!

D15 offers great value

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Just remember also that the asking prices are the starting point. These days houses can go for significantly more than the asking price so filter your search from well below 250k.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mtk2018

Is Rush not meant to be little bit dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Do not consider finglas. Hell on Earth

• Advertisement

tastyt wrote: »
    Do not consider finglas. Hell on Earth

What kind of hell --- just asking out of curiosity? Misbehaving kids, gangs, drugs or all together in a big happy bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Mtk2018 wrote: »
    Is Rush not meant to be little bit dodgy?

I've lived on the main street for the last 13 years and I haven't seen any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

pjdarcy wrote: »
    I've lived on the main street for the last 13 years and I haven't seen any trouble.

Agreed, Rush is as quiet a place as they come. I think it's one of the safest areas of North County Dublin, if something bad happens there it's a BIG deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Swords
    Lucan
    Clonsilla
    Rush
    Balbriggan

Lucan has no train access and buses are unreliable and slow. Getting to the city in rush hours would be a disaster.

Parts of Clonsilla would be OK, some other no so much. Again, pick something in awalking distance to a train station (like below 1-1.5 km) and you should be OK.

I'd personally go for a nice 2 bed apartment then a house in this price range. You could pick a better location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Just remember also that the asking prices are the starting point. These days houses can go for significantly more than the asking price so filter your search from well below 250k.

The "these days" are long time gone. The times where buyers engage in bidding wars are gone. The market stabilised and prices have been dropping slowly for the last 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

voluntary wrote: »
    The "these days" are long time gone. The times where buyers engage in bidding wars are gone. The market stabilised and prices have been dropping slowly for the last 6 months or so.

I've just bought a house in the last few months and everything I viewed went for over the asking price , some for significantly more. Maybe things are changing now but that was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I've just bought a house in the last few months and everything I viewed went for over the asking price , some for significantly more. Maybe things are changing now but that was my experience.

If you got a 90% mortgage, you will be in negative equity and another few months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

voluntary wrote: »
    Lucan has no train access and buses are unreliable and slow. Getting to the city in rush hours would be a disaster.

Parts of Clonsilla would be OK, some other no so much. Again, pick something in awalking distance to a train station (like below 1-1.5 km) and you should be OK.

I'd personally go for a nice 2 bed apartment then a house in this price range. You could pick a better location too.

There's plenty of areas of Lucan closer to Adamstown station than nearly any of Rush is to Rush/Lusk. Really depends where in Lucan. Kishoge might open at some point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Problem with apartments in this country is the management fees are so high and if people simply don't pay (as happened in the recession), the management company pulls out and nothing gets done.

I'd say Rush - except there's a fair bit of land out there and they might build massive estates ruining the place. This is happening in Donabate for example.

Swords. The town is amazingly well serviced and has good transport.

But have you checked what's available for your price range in Waterside "Malahide " (far from Malahide but reasonable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Rush is nice but has the issue of being far from the train station.

Balbriggan isn't as bad as some people make out, not saying there is no problems but I'm living here a year and walk a dog twice a day so around it plenty and havn't had or seen any bad hassle.

It also has good transport links, train in center of town with a bus that loops around the town, Dublin bus no 33 and Bus eireann 101 and also motorway is only 5 min away.

Advertisement