Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase

Options
  • 18-08-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just got verbal notice of rent been increased next month by 15% and a further increase in Jan of another 15%. We are not in a rent pressure zone. I know we are entitled to 3 months notice but is it legal to give us notice of 2 rent increases at same time. I know normally you can't increase within 24 months, but the fact he gave us two increases in the same notice.. Is that legal? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭dennyk

No, outside of an RPZ, the rent can only be reviewed once every 24 months. He must also give you a 90 day written notice of the rent increase, and must include examples of three comparable properties to prove that the new rent is within market rates. However, if he hasn't yet given you a proper written notice of the rent increase (verbal notices are meaningless), then a rent review hasn't taken place yet, so he can simply give you proper notice now of a 30% increase in 90 days (assuming that the new rent would still be market rate for your property, of course).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Note- as you're not in a RPZ- he/she could give you a single 30% (or however much) increase, in one go- with 90 days notice (providing it was in keeping with market rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I think I would ask for the LL to put the notice in writing with the correct period of notice. Hopefully he’ll make a bags of it and only the first 15% will be legal. He won’t be able to increase it again in Jan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

April 73 wrote: »
    I think I would ask for the LL to put the notice in writing with the correct period of notice. Hopefully he’ll make a bags of it and only the first 15% will be legal. He won’t be able to increase it again in Jan.

I 100% wouldn't be drawing his attention to the fact that (depending on when the tenancy commenced) he can only do an initial review and then wait for 2 years- before he can commence an annual review...........

Its landlords like him/her who give the sector a bad name.........

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I 100% wouldn't be drawing his attention to the fact that (depending on when the tenancy commenced) he can only do an initial review and then wait for 2 years- before he can commence an annual review...........

Its landlords like him/her who give the sector a bad name.........

No, don’t draw his attention to anything. In fact maybe it’d be better to do absolutely nothing right now. Verbal notice of a rent increase is meaningless. And unless he does it correctly, in writing, with the right info included and the correct notice period it will be invalid anyway. This guy could be a long time getting it right. Which is in your interest OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement