Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a price premium detached houses?

Options
  • 18-08-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just wondering. Say in a cheap Dublin (24) suburb. Is there a noticeable difference between

Terraced
    End of terrace
    Semi detached
    Detached?

Friend reckons there isn't much, people prefer terrace/semi due to cheaper heating etc whereas I would have thought the substantial gain in privacy would have meant something?

What's your opinion?

(Trying to gauge valuation received on house)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Corb_lund wrote: »
    Just wondering. Say in a cheap Dublin (24) suburb. Is there a noticeable difference between

Terraced
    End of terrace
    Semi detached
    Detached?

Friend reckons there isn't much, people prefer terrace/semi due to cheaper heating etc whereas I would have thought the substantial gain in privacy would have meant something?

What's your opinion?

(Trying to gauge valuation received on house)

Big difference

Dublin will be 100k difference in estates for instance

Sound insulation no matter how good cant block impact noises etc, I would only buy detached for a forvever home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Semi d and end of terrace might not involve any difference per se. Pretty much just snob appeal - the latter just means your neighbours live in a terraced house.

Otherwise yes there is a clear significant difference. Personally it would be a primary consideration in choosing a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Having lived in a terraced house before having a side entrance to the back of the garden is worth the extra €30-40k easily. Dragging tools and lawn mowers through the house every second week during summer gets very old very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Big difference

Dublin will be 100k difference in estates for instance

Sound insulation no matter how good cant block impact noises etc, I would only buy detached for a forvever home

Do you know of any links/reading on it I can do?

Or even rough percentage?

The houses in this area are only around 250k~ so not sure of an extra 100k hahaha

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Do you know of any links/reading on it I can do?

Or even rough percentage?

The houses in this area are only around 250k~ so not sure of an extra 100k hahaha

Thanks!
    Don't buy it then. Unless you're buying as an investment, it is worth what it is worth to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The detached in an estate are generally a bigger house too, there's a fair premium to them that I probably wouldn't pay myself but each to their own. About 25 to 40% in some new builds nowadays but it's not always exactly like for like.

I'd prioritise location, number of bedrooms, overall house size and suitability/layout before I'd prioritise detached over semi detached but that's just me.

Hi, sorry should have made it clearer, I'm looking to sell the property. Not as an investment. Nearby terrace/end of terrace seems to have fetched 250/260k.

I had an estate agent around who was chatting what sounded like sh1t about looking at 300k.

I'm looking to see what the realistic premium is so I don't end up over pricing and struggling to sell.

I did the house up well myself pretty well, got 75m2 back (with gates to road) and side garden. All walled.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

In my estate the two detached houses are worth about €60 -70 grand more..they are only slightly bigger but front gardens are larger with room for two cars. This is in kildare.
    A quick look on daft shows a big variety of Price differences between the 3 types..
    I have lived in a Terrace house before and it certainly wasn’t ideal..

harr wrote: »
    In my estate the two detached houses are worth about €60 -70 grand more..they are only slightly bigger but front gardens are larger with room for two cars. This is in kildare.
    A quick look on daft shows a big variety of Price differences between the 3 types..
    I have lived in a Terrace house before and it certainly wasn’t ideal..

Just for reference what sort of area are you referring to? :)

Just for reference what sort of area are you referring to? :)

Working class estate nothing super fancy, a few council houses mixed with privately owned premises. Houses built 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

harr wrote: »
    Working class estate nothing super fancy, a few council houses mixed with privately owned premises. Houses built 20 years.

Is the site the house sits on bigger than average or on a corner? The land area and the access makes a difference too. Bigger sites with more frontage are worth more.

Is the site the house sits on bigger than average or on a corner? The land area and the access makes a difference too. Bigger sites with more frontage are worth more.
    The detached houses are on corners with a slightly bigger front/side garden.
    A few owners of the detached property’s are currently building extensions which of course will increase value further. Very little room for the regular semi detached houses to extend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As a general rule of thumb- a detached property will normally achieve at very least a 25% premium, if not more, to a similar semi-d or terraced property.
    In some areas- the premium will be significantly higher- but I'd wholly expect a minimum of a 25% premium, and would immediately think there was something wrong with the property if there was not a significant premium to reflect its status.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Someone was having you on op re there being little difference between the house types in terms of value.
    Your detached house is the one to have and will accordingly make much better money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm looking to see what the realistic premium is so I don't end up over pricing and struggling to sell.

I did the house up well myself pretty well, got 75m2 back (with gates to road) and side garden. All walled.

Thanks!

Your premium over the other house- is reflected in the fact that its a detached house- not in the time, effort and money you spent in doing it up. I'm really sorry- but regardless of what you put into the property- you will never get it back. There may be some value associated with having a separate gate to the road (providing you have proper planning for it)- but while its nice that you reclaimed 75m2 of garden (from wilderness I guess?)- the status of the house is a detached house on a site of (whatever)- a wholly derelict house- on a similar sized site across the road- in wilderness- may achieve the exact same price.

I could show you 4 houses that sold off Newtownpark Avenue in DLR- 2 totally derelict with boarded up windows- one a terrace and one detached- and two really really nice semi-ds- all of which sold in a 6 month period last year- the bombsite of a detached property- which was subsequently demolished- made more than any of the other three..........

Don't expect to see your time/effort/money reflected in the price- it may help sell the property a little faster (if its reasonably priced)- but a disaster property that needs to be demolished- may make the same money- just because its a detached property............

Also- D24 isn't exactly the wild west that it once was (I went to school in D24 when I was a kid- I'm not under any illusions). You're never going to see lottery prices on property there- but there are parts of D24 that are far more genteel than some streets in DLR............

You have a reasonably desireable property- because its a detached property in a reasonable location, on a reasonable sized site. Its nice that you've done some work on it- but any given prospective purchaser may either love or hate what you've done- there is no guarantee that you'll see any reward for what you've put into it.

Advertisement