Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Token

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

hmm, id say its illegal, sure isnt it illegal to have them anyways technically even in your house. Dont you need a gaming license to have arcade\pinball\gambling machines or something? I just remember the cabs i bought in the past all having some sort of license card in them behind plastic! is that still the case?

Edit: must be this thing..

http://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-licensing/amusement-licences/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Still no sign of those Token memberships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

hmm, id say its illegal, sure isnt it illegal to have them anyways technically even in your house. Dont you need a gaming license to have arcade\pinball\gambling machines or something? I just remember the cabs i bought in the past all having some sort of license card in them behind plastic! is that still the case?

Edit: must be this thing..

http://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-licensing/amusement-licences/index.aspx

I was thinking more along the lines of it being illegal (copyright infringement) to have the game without the board (yes, technically it's indeed illegal to even have a MAME collection at home).

And if I recall correctly, I read somewhere that even in case one owned the game board, it's still a license violation to run the same game through any means other than the board itself (e.g. dump the roms and use an emulator).

Yet, I have seen at least one MAME cab available for the public on business premises...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's one of those things that's technically not legal but nobody really cares. Like cycling a bike without a bell. Technically you're meant to but I've yet to see someone pulled over by the Gardaí.

On lots of PCBs, there's even a boot screen saying it's only to be used in X regional location and using it outside of said location is against the law. I must be a master criminal so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    On lots of PCBs, there's even a boot screen saying it's only to be used in X regional location and using it outside of said location is against the law. I must be a master criminal so :pac:

Just pay heed to the winners not using drugs one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Just pay heed to the winners not using drugs one

Jon Jones obviously wasn't much of an arcade gamer then... :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jon Jones obviously wasn't much of an arcade gamer then... :pac:

Couldn't actually believe that when I read it this morning, what a screw up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So went with a mate last night. Had a great time.

There are some issues but i didn't let that spoil the night for me.
    I think they are making more money on food and beer than the games so maybe that why that area is slipping a bit.
    Not justifying it as that's the main reason i went to this "arcade" bar.
    I think i will highlight some of the issues on the facebook/twitter page as they seem to be very responsive on there.

Issues i noticed :
    Tekken Tag Tournament - Screen very red, monitor issue but people still playing it.
    NBA Hangtime (NBA Jam 2) - Slight green issue on the top right corner.
    Metal Slug 3 - left joystick wasn't hitting down every time.
    Golden Axe - Always a classic, no issues apart from me being crap, difficulty seemed high.
    Street Fighter 2 - Enjoyed this, got my ass handed to me by my mate.
    Ghosts 'n Goblins - Didn't play it due to earlier criticisms on here.
    Sunset Riders - Love this game, one credit to stage 7 of 8, seemed easier than usual. Cab was strange though, LCD was vertical making viewing difficult.
    Marvel Vs. Capcom - always a frantic game, no issues
    Final Fight - Played it, enjoyed it, LCD
    Donkey Kong - some idiot was reaching across us trying to get a beer, death followed. (not for her)
    Double Dragon - Didn't see this anywhere
    Time Crisis 2 - Didn't see this anywhere

Played Twilight Zone pinball also, they now have a big black curtain to keep the noise down for the tables in the area,
    Sweltering hot it is down there. Quickly lost my token. Need to spend a lot of time on them methinks.

All in all it was great, good beers and games with beer holders.
    For the purists that will throw up some problems but for the people who like games and beer they will love it.

Also donated some of my tokens (Capcom/Sega/Taito/Barcade/Arcade Otaku)

Ed's 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

^ So they fixed the sticks on the CE cabinet ?

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    ^ So they fixed the sticks on the CE cabinet ?

Seemed ok, what was the issue you had?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Did they ever fix the monitor for the Superman game? The colours were all wonky when I was there last month.

Did they ever fix the monitor for the Superman game? The colours were all wonky when I was there last month.

Didn't see a superman game so i guess the swapped it out to fix.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Seemed ok, what was the issue you had?

couldnt hold down back on the p1 side without using an absurd amount of force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

airmax87 wrote: »
    couldnt hold down back on the p1 side without using an absurd amount of force

The stick on P1 was iffy alright back at the beginning of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Have the fixed the Mario kart (on the left) machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They do seem to post monthly updates. This is from the 2nd
    Arcade
    Stuck the stick: Double Dragon’s joystick is more secure.
    Yah yah yah yah yah!: Crazy Taxi’s jump button has been improved.
    Sorry about that: Fixed the issues with Ghost and Ghouls button’s being intermittently unresponsive.
    Blame it on Ms. Pac-Man: Pac-Man’s joystick has been replaced.
    Labour of love: More fixes and upgrades to various games’ inputs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

planning on dropping in on Saturday afternoon for a few beers and some gaming.
    Do they accept walk ins or is it still booking only.
    Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Walk ins are fine now

New deal on Monday and Tuesdays is great

Any Main
    Any Side
    Any Pint
    10 Tokens
    €19.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

sham69 wrote:
    planning on dropping in on Saturday afternoon for a few beers and some gaming. Do they accept walk ins or is it still booking only. Cheers..

Depends on the time and how many is in your party. If it's just just yourself you should have no issues dropping in at any stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

ianob7 wrote: »
    Depends on the time and how many is in your party. If it's just just yourself you should have no issues dropping in at any stage

just myself and a mate.
    Thanks for the replies , looking forward to it now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Great craft menu if you're that way inclined!! Only 2 of you so should be fine providing you don't leave it too late when you're heading down

Edit: that deal looks great actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Would a well behaved kid be welcome/tolerated here?

Master of the Universe

sweetie wrote: »

I think it's over 18s only unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

from their homepage
    Token is a restaurant – bar – retro arcade – pinball parlour – event space.
    We have over 32 machines, 22 taps, and an extensive menu for all tastes. Our food consists of our take on high-end fast food. Whether it be a wagyu burger, vegan calamari, bacon battered Reese’s Cup, or extremely hot chicken – all of our dishes are cooked to order. We host events, gaming and not gaming-related, ranging from film screenings to board game meet-ups to pinball leagues to eating challenges to beer tastings & more!
    We are strictly 18+ at this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I wanted to bring Cidonalad there for his 14th birthday, but they told me via FB that it was over 18's at this time.
    Sure, I probably wouldn't have gotten in either, given how young I look.... ahem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

cheers, that's a shame, would like to introduce her to coin-ops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

http://www.konbo.co.uk/ nicely done...

I'd love a sambo and an a few games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The response I got when I asked them, was that they did a pilot of this and it didn't go to plan. I imagine they are worried about hardware being messed with, of course most kids going to this accompanied by a gamer would behave perfectly fine, but it only takes one group to break something... Then again, the same could be sad for the adult-sized kids!

Yeah I had young kids play my pinballs before for a few minutes.....never again

J_E wrote: »
    The response I got when I asked them, was that they did a pilot of this and it didn't go to plan. I imagine they are worried about hardware being messed with, of course most kids going to this accompanied by a gamer would behave perfectly fine, but it only takes one group to break something... Then again, the same could be sad for the adult-sized kids!

Maybe that's why they've borked screens and controls on some of the machines in there, from that pilot test, or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Inviere wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they've borked screens and controls on some of the machines in there, from that pilot test, or something

I don't know these things got a good battering bitd. They are all fairly to robust machines. If the sticks /buttons they are using are breaking that easy I'd have to ask what they are using?? . Let's face it everything else hardware wise is locked away in the cabinets.

geotrig wrote: »
    I don't know these things got a good battering bitd. They are all fairly to robust machines. If the sticks /buttons they are using are breaking that easy I'd have to ask what they are using?? . Let's face it everything else hardware wise is locked away in the cabinets.

It takes seconds/minutes to swap out a button or stick, there's no excuse really given how cheap they are. Screens are a different story though, they require knowledge and skill to repair, which isn't always available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

I know ,I still don't see what kids would manage to do to a screen that you have no access too that an adult with some drink or other couldnt manage the same ,these cabs /machine were made to take some abuse. The screens is mostly an age thing and nothing more.

I've found adults to be more aggressive than any kids playing on any of my stuff.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's being billed as a bit of a cool, hipster type hangout - so I'd say kids just aren't part of their image really. More money to be made in adults and flowing beer.

Guys, stay off the Pac Man machine for a bit. The joystick is a disaster at the moment. I regularly score over 100-150k and I can't even finish the first level. I'm really annoyed by it.

Update: They have replaced the joystick - I will be giving it a shot tomorrow, will let you know if it's okay again!

Edit: The joystick is good. I'd still rather the old red one they had with the locked axes (this feels like a joystick) but still scored a respectable 158k.

They've got a DDR machine in there now apparently.

Yeah I was just there. Qued up to wreck some girls who were on it and it crashed, switched it off then. Said its been giving trouble and only went on today. Wouldn't say its big problems, it rebooted fine and then crashed again

• Advertisement

I guess I'm more disappointed that it's a Euromix cab. Was really hoping for Supernova at least, that game is ancient in DDR standards.

I'd say they should be careful with getting old hardware in when it comes to the likes of that. Maybe better off investing in an In The Groove cabinet which could be modified by a group to add additional songs?

There's a new 4 player Turtles aracade cabinet coming out soon. Wonder if Token would ever consider getting new cabs in?

tmnt-noscale.jpg

It might be rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

It looks damn tasty though... Pity i probably won't see this in galway any time soon

It is a space saver or is it, older one is probably a lot cheaper

I have a feeling that turtles game might show up in the bowling place here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I wouldn't have high hopes for that Turtles game I don't like Raw Thrills racers and what experience do they have with fighters?

Heading to token now for a bit. I've never learned to play DDR hopefully it's quiet I can embarrass myself on a small scale.

...any new games?

I don't like Raw Thrills racers

Absolute sh1te,you cant even control them you just press the pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

DDR was out of service that day I went unfortunately. Also I got on a nice run with Ghouls N Ghosts, which is nice cos I haven't played it once, until I got to the second level, had to climb a ladder and discovered up on the stick isn't working :D.

In other news there's a Barcade opening in Cork City in the Mardyke complex. Details are patchy so far in terms of what games they've got, they're waiting for a big reveal. Going to be retro consoles and board games also. I know they've Time Crisis, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong anyway. It's in beta test mode so you can just go in and check I haven't been in Cork in the last few weeks otherwise I'd pop in.

It's called barcardia.
    There's a thread here about them :)
    Nice pinballs

• Advertisement
Advertisement