Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underlay for laminated floor with underfloor heating

Options
  • 25-02-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice re: type of underlay / thickness of laminate for underfloor heating.

The underfloor heating is pipes in screed. It's a new build.

The builder is recommending a special underlay which looks like little polystyrene balls between two plastic sheets at €80 per roll.

Another high street supplier claims that may be a bad idea since it will prevent heat rising and recommends to just go with basic 3mm foam at €25 per roll.

I only need 2 rolls I think.

I've read something about using cork but is this really necessary?

I'm looking at 12mm laminate, with an AC3 rating. Do these ratings mean anything?

All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

I think an underlay with a low u value is what you need. This allows the heat into the room quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

frankmul wrote: »
    I think an underlay with a low u value is what you need. This allows the heat into the room quickly

I think you mean a low thermal resistance or low TOG value. A low u value would hold back the heat. There are underlays designed especially for underfloor heating eg: http://www.irishflooring.ie/product_info.php?products_id=5092

The AC rating is very important, flooring with a low AC rating will get damaged with furniture easily. Aim for at least AC3, preferably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Thanks for replies (and for moving into correct forum)

I did some research and it looks like builder is recommending Tuplex underlay. Seems good since it has some moisture protection over concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

That's a good site Rabbo, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

What are people's opinion on 2mm cork underlay used for screed floor with UFH

• Advertisement
Advertisement