Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish connections in games

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tomb raider really got old fast. I remember by the third game it was looking awful and the level design was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Never liked tomb raider at all, mostly because I don't have affection for that type of game too many issues with the camera / world geometery for my liking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Tomb Raider was another over hyped game from the PS1 era. Take Lara out of it and replace her with a male character and it wouldn't have half the commercial success and acclaim it garnered.

Ireland was featured as one of the fight locations in Samurai Shodown VI.
    Don't know where it's supposed to be based on. At a guess I'd say Kilkenny city as there's a castle in the middle of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Tomb raider really got old fast. I remember by the third game it was looking awful and the level design was poor.
    pdbhp wrote:
    Never liked tomb raider at all
    Azure_sky wrote: »
    Tomb Raider was another over hyped game from the PS1 era.
    I guess I'm the only one who likes Tomb Raider :cool: *hipster*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked the first Tomb Raider and I'm sure it's still fun if a bit janky now. The series just lost the run of itself afterwards. I really didn't enjoy TR2 or TR3 and only played bits of the games after that and didn't care much for them. After the first game the level design got worse. It was just built around making the levels as annoying as possible with no sense of wonder or discovery. I can remember most of the levels from the original but the others it's very hazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I really liked the second tomb raider, it was an improvement on the mechanics of the first. I remember the Opera House just blew me away when i first played it. i think things went downhill from the third onward... bleh, they were terrible.

Back on topic, has anyone mentioned Jaunty from shadowman64 (...c'mon, let us have that one, it was better on the 64 than any of the other formats.)

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Jaunty the snake in Shadowman was Irish and he was pretty funny as far as I can remember!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Jaunty the snake in Shadowman was Irish and he was pretty funny as far as I can remember!
    its mentioned..IN THE FREAKIN' POST ABOVE YOURS!!!
    ..some people taking TLDR to a whole new level there :)
    (cough, and I mentioned tomb raider and a few others on page 1 :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

its mentioned..IN THE FREAKIN' POST ABOVE YOURS!!!
    ..some people taking TLDR to a whole new level there :)
    (cough, and I mentioned tomb raider and a few others on page 1 :))

Lol, sorry about that, I was just skimming this in work and didn't finish the end of that post! Thought it was just another Tomb Raider one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He told me all about the development and that Sony screwed them over, they put a lot of effort into Speed Freaks and just before E3 were told of Crash Team Racing, an almost identical racing game, there was talk of legal action as Funcom Ireland felt that a lot of their ideas were lifted wholesale into CTR, but it was never to happen and that was that, Funcom Ireland were simply shut, the offices closed with a minimum of notice.

Anyways, he was a really interesting guy and had lots to say about game development in the late 90's, a time when Sony really were the big bad bully on the playground.

I'm not sure how much the sales of CTR impacted on Funcom Dublin shutting down, I think Speed Freaks eventually sold about half a million copies which was pretty good as far as I know (although I'm not sure if this was short of any projections). The other thing is that the parent company in Norway was focusing more on MMORPG development at the time and shifting away from consoles for whatever reason, and the Dublin office had been pretty much exclusively console focused.

London born actor and martial artist, Jonathan Patrick Foo, who play Ryu in Street fighter legacy and Jin Kazama in the live action Tekken movie is half Irish and half Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Foo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The Furbolgs in the Warcraft series are meant to be heavily influenced by Celtic druids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    The Furbolgs in the Warcraft series are meant to be heavily influenced by Celtic druids.

That'd be the original inhabitants of Ireland you're talking about there, the Fír Bolgs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fir_Bolg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Don't forget the Havoc physics engine was developed here originally, group of lads from Trinity... Made its way to the likes of Halo, Half Life 2...

• Advertisement
Advertisement