Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Scam?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.daft.ie/2827216

Here's his (very quick) reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for your interest. My name is Boris Neville and from the internet add, you could see, that the apartment located in: 33 Clarendon St, Dublin City, Irland. It has 1 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms, 1 kitchen and 1 living room (60 m²).
    I am looking for someone to live in it, as soon as possible, because my company has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in Liverpool,UK. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in Liverpool will be about 4 years. The renting period is from 2 months upto 1-8 years.. As a result of this I want to rent, for this period, at this price and also to find the perfect person for my apartment. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.
    The apartment is furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). The rent for 1 month is 400 EUR but the deposit is for 2 months at rent 800EUR (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a solution.
    Thank you for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Good luck,
    Boris Neville
    P.S. Please tell me if this is what are you looking for and reply my only if you are truly interested in the apartment

Too good to be true yeh! I'm the address is probably a restaurant or something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I just got this too! I googled his name then and found this post...I was thinking it was a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Hi Boris

The apartment looks great and I am very interested. The keys are a bit of a problem though. I wonder what the solution could be.

I suppose we could get a new set cut, but that would cost E2, so how about I Western Union you 2 months deposit to secure the property plus the first months rent, and then you post the keys to me from your new address when you get to Liverpool? Does that sound like a plan to you?

Let me know ASAP because I'm super keen to get this place. If you get back to me before 2pm I could send the money today. You've really got to be quick though because I'm super fuc king gullible, and there are lots of assholes out there trying to scam me out of my hard earned money so who knows how much longer I will be able to afford this place.

When did you say I could move in?

Thanks,

Alan.
    I'll drop you all a mail from my new apartment to let you know how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Do you even need to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Yeah that sounds like a scam stay well away from that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think I'll send him 20 grand :)

Yeah got a daft warning from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"air conditioning" - yeah sure.

The building seems to be retail and offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'd bet anything it's a scam.

He's putting too much effort into explaining his situation.

And I don't think there are any apartments on Clarendon Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it definetly sounds like a scam,very similar to some of the e-mails people have received in the carzone scam thread in motors,and a huge amount of them mention liverpool for some reason??, and ramble on for ages about things that people never asked
    i dont know much about rental prices in dublin but surely €400 for a city centre apartment is way too low?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Report it to daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how very odd, i actually found this place on daft a couple of days ago thinking that's way too good to be true.

look at the pictures, look at the price there's no way it's legit especially for clarendon street. i see the ad is set to let now.

still best to report it to daft.ie http://www.daft.ie/docs.daft?page=Contact and they can investigate it further and take any necessary action.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Sorry for dragging up old threads but I thought it would be worth noting that this scam is happening in Cork now as well.

I recently saw an ad for a 2 bed apartment in Cork City centre for €300 a month (way too good to be true but I said I'd email anyway!).

Here is the first response:

Hello,
    First of all I'm sorry for the late reply but I had a lot to work and this is the time I could give you a message.Thank you for your interest.My name is Lisa Hall and from the internet add, you could see, that the apartment located in: Hollybrook, Orchard Road, Cork City Centre, Ireland. It has 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 living room.(85m2)
    I am looking for someone to live in it, as soon as possible, because my company has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in London, United Kingdom. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in United Kingdom will be about 4 years. The renting period is from 1 months upto 1-8 years. As a result of this I want to rent, for this period, at this price and also to find the perfect person for my apartment. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.
    The apartment is furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). The rent for 1 month is 300 Euro, but you must to deposit 600 euros/the money for one month of rent and the deposit 300 Euro(for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a solution.
    Thank you for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lisa Hall
    P.S. Please tell me if this is what are you looking for and reply my only if you are truly interested in the apt

Obviously I was very suspicious but I emailed back saying I would like to view it and this is the response I got:

Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month is 300 Euro, but you must to deposit 600 euros/the money for one month of rent and the deposit 300 Euro(for the whole apartment), with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called MoneyBookers which is similar to FedEx or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. Please click on the link bellow to the MoneyBookers website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN
    Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.

Needless to say I have reported this to Daft.ie but I imagine that this scam will continue to appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The story with that one key only sounds weird already :confused:

And all bills included? Even more weird, I would move in there, leave all lights on 24/7, call premium numbers only and let all radiators blare 24/7 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The story with that one key only sounds weird already :confused:

And all bills included? Even more weird, I would move in there, leave all lights on 24/7, call premium numbers only and let all radiators blare 24/7 :D

Fact is there is no 'there'. It fiction!

Whenever they start saying things that are not how they're done in Ireland - it's a scam. No extra taxes? When is anyone ever quoted a price with tax added on later? And also 'deposit (for entire apartment)'. Would we really pay a deposit for some of the apartment?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just clicked on the link. it says somebody rented it. Must be a joke...or a gentle way by DAFT to say, that it was a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Just clicked on the link. it says somebody rented it. Must be a joke...or a gentle way by DAFT to say, that it was a scam.

Or that the thread was started in 2009 and the ad's likely to have been removed by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 redlipstick

Think there's another Cork apt scam on Daft: E300/month for a 2 bed apt in a fairly new building if I'm not wrong. Exact same price for the last 2 bed one, and has the same contact me blah@email.com photoshopped onto the pics. Cripes. Saw another Dublin apt on property.ie, 2bed, 300/month, with the same e-mail thingey on the pics. Don't have a link tho.
    This is the Cork one: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018075

These ones look dodgy as f*&^ too:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018036
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018056
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018042

ALso a Galway one: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018076

And Limerick: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018077

Waterford: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018032

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

^^^^
    someone at daft must be watching us, all those properties above have been let!!!

edit: could be the scammers watching:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bladebrew wrote: »
    ^^^^
    someone at daft must be watching us, all those properties above have been let!!!

edit: could be the scammers watching:)
    There is a 'Report ad' function on daft.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

smells awfully like a 419 scam.. I've spent many a bored night reading through the http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm site... plenty of entertainment if you are a fast reader!!

Same kind of language....

• Advertisement
Advertisement