Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Fish retires today

Options
  • 06-10-2004 4:33pm

Yup,the (currently) BBC's senior forecaster retires today, his last Broadcast will be tonight iirc either on the six or the ten news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'll miss him :D

During a weather forecast in October 1987, British meteorologist Michael Fish told viewers that "a woman rang to say she'd heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well, don't worry," he continued, "there isn't." Brushing aside the amateur's forecast with a chuckle, Fish promised "sea breezes" and a "showery airflow."
    Britain was promptly hit by 120 mph winds which ripped up 300 miles of power cables, plunged a quarter of the country into darkness, blocked 200 roads with fallen branches, downed 25 per cent of the trees in Kent and stopped all rail traffic in the south for twenty-four hours. An ambulance at Hayling island was hit by a yacht floating across the road and the Meteorological Office called it the worst hurricane since 1703.

[Fish's spokesman later explained: "It's really all a question of detail." In fact, technically, Fish was correct. It was not a hurricane, but an intense North Atlantic depression. "We don't get hurricanes in the West Country," one observer explained. "We get hurricane force winds."]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah will he ever be allowed to forget that moment! I was living in Dublin at the time and remember nothing more than some strong winds that night.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just saw his last forecast on BBC News 24, just said "and for the final time from me..." He's the last link from the magnetic symbols, and Jack Scott et al.
    Sad, but, like Ian Macaskill, I've a feeling we'll be seeing him again!
    I think his last one will be at 6:30 on BBC 1, in 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

They did a nice feature just there, loads of clips, loads from Breakfast Time and Breakfast News, which for years didn't use the standard BBC symbols or graphics, all accompanied by Crowded House's "Weather with you" :D
    I think he'll be on after the 10, as the presenters said "for the last time for us".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dale

Well Done to Michael Fish, for being a great weather man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Yeah but they didnt let him get away without the memory that storm that wasnt going to happen...but did. 1997 i think it was.

Advertisement