Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw sewerage coming from manhole cover in apartment bock

Options
  • 23-02-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering where we as apartment owners on this. Every few months one of the manhole covers starts to spew out raw sewerage. We call the builder (whom is in his final year of running the management company) and he sends a friend of his down with a slurry tanker and unblocks it. The management AGM last week was only attended by 4 owners of a possible 21. When I raised the issue of a possible serious problem with the leak it was quickly brushed under the carpet by the builder telling me that this was normal and it would be very hard to get the people who fitted the system to rectify it.
    Since this is his last year (we will have to find a new management company next year), he really doesn't want to get involved in any big problems. What can we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get an independent engineers report.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

ted1 wrote: »
    Get an independent engineers report.

can I get funds from the management company to pay for that. The impression I get is that the people in the apartments at the front of the complex aren't concerned or want to know about it as they don't have to look at it or put up with the smell. Most of the units are let out anyway, hence the low turn out at the AGM last week.
    Anyone I've spoken to is reluctant to have any money taken from the fund as it's quite tight at the moment. We recently had a tenant in the apartment complex invite several friends over for the weekend who all barrelled into the lift with their suitcases, overloading it and causing €400 worth of damage. We may also need to get increased bin capacity as many tenants are now inviting their friends in to use our bins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

4 out of 21 owners attending an A.G.M. spells danger particularly where the most are rented out. I would advise you to get in contact with other owners to make sure that the complex is managed properly after the builder leaves. With 21 units there is no real need to be spending funds on a managing agent if you can get a committee of owners together and follow the MUD act. Remember that it is an investment for many but a home for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

can I get funds from the management company to pay for that. The impression I get is that the people in the apartments at the front of the complex aren't concerned or want to know about it as they don't have to look at it or put up with the smell. Most of the units are let out anyway, hence the low turn out at the AGM last week.
    Anyone I've spoken to is reluctant to have any money taken from the fund as it's quite tight at the moment. We recently had a tenant in the apartment complex invite several friends over for the weekend who all barrelled into the lift with their suitcases, overloading it and causing €400 worth of damage. We may also need to get increased bin capacity as many tenants are now inviting their friends in to use our bins.

If you don't get an engineers report the MC company could end up with a huge bill to put it right, so they would be mad not to

Advertisement