Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we use the maximum relief of our Help to buy scheme?

Options
  • 17-07-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I got approved of 17k max relief from help to buy scheme, and we are wondering if we can use all of that amount to cover the additional fees including legal fees and stamp duty.

the value of the new build house is 260k.

90% = 234k
    10% = 26k
    1% stamp duty = 2600

Our own savings to date is 17k

(Just for our own calculation)Sample Charges for a Property purchase costing €300,000:

Typical Legal Fees €1,537 (Inc VAT)
    Search Fees €150
    Commissioner for Oaths €44
    Land Registry Fee €700
    Land registry Fee for certified copy Folio €40
    Land Registry Fee on Mortgage €175
    Grand Total including VAT €2646

Surveyor €150

Calculation

10% €26k
    1% €2600
    Legal fees €2646
    Surveyor €150

Total cost amount that we have to shoulder is €31,396

Can we possibly balance it that we can use the maximum HTB relief of 17K to pay almost half of the total cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

No , 5% of 260,000 only as far as I'm aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

The HTB is either 5% of the house value (13k) or your max relief (17k) whichever is lower, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

It's 5% the value of the house. The house is 260k so you get 13k from the revenue . This 13k get paid directly to the builder and you give another 13k which covers the 10% deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Note that you will also need about 20 grand purely just to fit out the house. Floors, beds, furniture etc. If you just live with what you have you may be able to peg it back a bit, but in and around the 20 mark is where most new homeowners seem to be coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Hi,

I also just want to make sure, we already put €5k downpayment for securing the house, does that get taken away from the 10% deposit which means
    €13k - €5k = €8,000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I also just want to make sure, we already put €5k downpayment for securing the house, does that get taken away from the 10% deposit which means
    €13k - €5k = €8,000?

Yes.

10% has to be paid on signing the contracts.

Your 10% will consist of:

€13k Help-to-Buy contribution
    €5k booking deposit (already paid)
    €8k balance remaining

Advertisement