Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Year Structural Guarantee

Options
  • 07-02-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys,

My wife and I are buying a new build house, and the solicitor got onto me today to inform that the house didn't have a 10 year structural guarantee attached to the property. To this end, she recommended getting an engineer to give the house a top to bottom structural survey as well as everything else (snag list etc).

My question is, should I be alarmed that there is no guarantee attached to the property? If I get the engineer to do a top to bottom on the place, should that be sufficient? Or should I run the other direction? I realise it means nothing, but the place looks perfect, it's our ideal home. But this is a bit concerning.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi guys,

My wife and I are buying a new build house, and the solicitor got onto me today to inform that the house didn't have a 10 year structural guarantee attached to the property. To this end, she recommended getting an engineer to give the house a top to bottom structural survey as well as everything else (snag list etc).

My question is, should I be alarmed that there is no guarantee attached to the property? If I get the engineer to do a top to bottom on the place, should that be sufficient? Or should I run the other direction? I realise it means nothing, but the place looks perfect, it's our ideal home. But this is a bit concerning.

Thanks.

Structural defects may not be detectable now but would be in the future. For a new build I'd be worried. Is it done under BCAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baileyborough

BCAR?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Building control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baileyborough

I don't know if I'm honest. How would/should I find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

It must be BCAR. Thats the law. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Askthe EA wrote: »
    It must be BCAR. Thats the law. Right?

The law allows you to opt out of BCAR.

OP - Engage with a Building Surveyor / Engineer and outline your concerns.

Advertisement