Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter

Options
  • 18-10-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I'm a bit behind the times on this, only read up on it for the first time last night. Anyone have one?

Apparently it's a Framemister beater and has zero lag (one thing that has been turning me off the Framemeister.)

To top it off, it's considerably cheaper. Tempted to pick one up for the LMDs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Looks interesting.

No composite or S-Video on it, though.

I only got a Framemister earlier in the year and have been a bit too busy to play around with it much, but I do like the quality that I'm able to capture from my Commodore 64 at, but for whatever reason I can only capture from the C64 over composite and SCART didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Kerbdog has one and I bought one recently, just waiting on the postman to drop it off. There is a guy in the UK on Amibay that is making them up.

Not sure if its a Framemeister killer, but its definitely a lot cheaper and is getting updates which can only improve things over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Framemister is going out of production as well, isn't it?

So good that there is some manner of alternative out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup I have one - haven't really had time to play with it too much but as DinoRex mentioned it doesn't seem to have composite or S-Video input. Aimed at RGB/Component and doesn't seem to play nice with original SNES RGB cables. A good review here on YouTubes though;

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sugarman wrote: »
    I was trying to look it up, but couldnt see anything. It isnt by any chance a shared connection for composite/component? On my tele the Green on component acts as the composite video in too.

Unfortunately by the looks of things it's just not supported at the moment :( I was hoping it would go through the scart connection too myself.

Might hold off and wait to see if there's another iteration with that included, would be nice to have an on screen menu added in too.

• Advertisement

The gerbers are here and a batch of 10 4 layer boards can be got for €60-€70 so definitely can be made a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

takemymoney.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

DinoRex wrote: »
    Framemister is going out of production as well, isn't it?

So good that there is some manner of alternative out there.

one of the chips they where using was going out of production , i thought i saw mutterings that an alternate was found but cant really remember clearly now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I'd also be interested in one.

They seem to play nicely with Sony 4K TV's:

http://retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html

Got mine, looks nicely put together no chance of trying it out yet though....

• Advertisement

Id a bit of a more in depth look at this tonight, as in the last 4hrs+:pac:

I reckon its doable for €100 all in, parts and labour per unit. Ive ordered a few bits there anyway to give it a go for myself.

I got a bit distracted reading into various video mods, I reckon this could open up the door to really affordable upscaling mods to almost all retro consoles in the future. As in not just an external device for multiple sources like the OSSC but a single simple internal modchip solution for each console. Something similar to the N64 Ultra HMDI mod.

Theres already a GC HDMI mod loosely based off the same hardware and ive a feeling the McWill GG mod is done in a similar fashion.

Id really love to know more about software to have stab at developing these things myself but fairly limited in that regard, reliant on open source code to work with / attempt alter.

Are you thinking of having pcbs made up?
    Id love to have a go of building this myself.

Just wondering if theres any updates on this sugarman? I'm thinking of just buying a built on at this stage.

I ordered all the components but still havent got any further than pricing PCBs, just been way too busy of late. Wont be until into the new year before I get a chance to look at it again properly so if you want to go ahead and order one, do, I dont to be holding you up!

If you still want a PCB when I do get them, just give me a shout!

Oh sorry, i meant ordering a built one from you!
    I can wait no problem! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I might be selling my pre-built on should someone be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I ordered all the components but still havent got any further than pricing PCBs, just been way too busy of late. Wont be until into the new year before I get a chance to look at it again properly so if you want to go ahead and order one, do, I dont to be holding you up!

If you still want a PCB when I do get them, just give me a shout!

I'm well up for buying one of these but only if we come up with a snappy name.

My suggestion is Potato Cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Any advice on where to buy completed units? I'm not the handiest of fellows and when they pop up on ebay they are just as expensive as the XRGB mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Still wondering about this.

This is the "official" place to get a premade
    https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/
    There's a bloke here who knocks em up in his spare time
    http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?93469-OSSC-v1-6-(Open-Source-Scan-Converter)-with-Remote-and-Power-Cable
    Outside of these two and eBay you're only choice seems to be putting one together yourself. Seems to be very few sources for these babies online

Advertisement