Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

filling land with hardcore

• 26-03-2015 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

My 2acre site is on 2 levels, house is on top on 1.25 with a Sharpe slope into some wet land of 0.75 acre filled completely with rushes high grass etc.. I can walk across it with some boots on but boots sink into very wet underneath. I can walk across it on top of rushes just to give you an idea.

I can get 50-100 loads of good hardcore mix (though might only use 40 loads)and going to fill this land. What I wasn't to know, is it possible to scrape back some of the boggy land and throw back on top once hardcore has been dumped iin or would this stuff be useless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Get a dozer and push it all up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Get a dozer and push it all up.

Never thought of that. Much are they for a day to hire?

How much even for 2 diggers(one on each end) and 2 20ton lorries for 1 day. Only have to move the stuff a few mile. In Roscommon/mayo area. Been quoted between 250-350 a day each for diggers with drivers and 500 a day for lorries. Is this over the top or average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

duckcfc wrote: »
    How much even for 2 diggers(one on each end) and 2 20ton lorries for 1 day. Only have to move the stuff a few mile. In Roscommon/mayo area. Been quoted between 250-350 a day each for diggers with drivers and 500 a day for lorries. Is this over the top or average?

Diggers are right the lorries are a shade on the steep side. Dozers are better value for that sort of job and will clear an awful lot more in a day. They run are about 50-60 per hour depending on the machine but they will level and clear some stuff.

Miname wrote: »
    Diggers are right the lorries are a shade on the steep side. Dozers are better value for that sort of job and will clear an awful lot more in a day. They run are about 50-60 per hour depending on the machine but they will level and clear some stuff.

How can a dozer be better value if its 50-60 an hour and digger is 250ish aday. Tbh, ive never seen anyone use or hire a dozer out near me.

• Advertisement

Will it matter if the ground is really wet if i get a dozer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Will it matter if the ground is really wet if i get a dozer?

Dozer could get stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Fill it with hardcore and spread topsoil over the top,a lot easier and one digger could have speed quick enough

Fill it with hardcore and spread topsoil over the top,a lot easier and one digger could have speed quick enough

I know this is the best way but can be expensive buying new topsoil . Trying to do it for as cheap as possible

Dozer could get stuck.

Was thinking this myself :(

• Advertisement

I know this is the best way but can be expensive buying new topsoil . Trying to do it for as cheap as possible

You are going to have to make some compromise, you cannot make a racehorse out of a donkey.

You are going to have to make some compromise, you cannot make a racehorse out of a donkey.

But we can try lol. All jokes aside thou, looks like ill just have to tip the fill on top of whats already there and hope for the best. Maybe the digger could move some of it to fill a patch with the boggy soil

I don't know op, don't end up like this anyway.
    1335465834_535862-407323275958649-100000429393554-1374393-389018238-n.jpg

I don't know op, don't end up like this anyway.
    1335465834_535862-407323275958649-100000429393554-1374393-389018238-n.jpg

Jesus, not good thou ive had machines on this land before and never sunk like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Would it be possible to get an excavator to dig the wet ground and heap it up into rows. Leave the rows to dry for 12 months or more. This also mixes the soil and rots the vegetation. You might also discover any groundwater issues when digging. Stockpile the hardcore or hold off getting it until ground is dried out. Tackle the drainage of any water first before laying the ground back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Playing devil's advocate a bit but do you need council permission to take in spoil? I'm assuming it's not coming from a quarry.100 loads is roughly 1000 cubes will raise yr .75 acre approx one foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Playing devil's advocate a bit but do you need council permission to take in spoil? I'm assuming it's not coming from a quarry.

You do around here anyhow and the boys that have a license to do so are fairly quick to report stuff that's not being tipped into there spot

Playing devil's advocate a bit but do you need council permission to take in spoil? I'm assuming it's not coming from a quarry.100 loads is roughly 1000 cubes will raise yr .75 acre approx one foot.

Yes its in my planning permission to tidy it up. Sorry I should have mentioned this. You say it'll raise it 1ft but most of it is going to sink so how can you tell if its going to raise it. In saying this, the most I'll probably move in one day is 40 lorry loads if im lucky because of costs of hiring a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yes its in my planning permission to tidy it up. Sorry I should have mentioned this. You say it'll raise it 1ft but most of it is going to sink so how can you tell if its going to raise it. In saying this, the most I'll probably move in one day is 40 lorry loads if im lucky because of costs of hiring a machine.

You're probably right about it sinking but if you were putting that amount of fill on hardcore it would raise .75 acres by around one foot. It might be in your pp to tidy it up but that is not a permit to take in spoil. I could be wrong but as with bullocks the guys with permitted dumps around here would report even suspect activity in a flash. More than one guy has had to dig out fill and then pay to dump it.

You're probably right about it sinking but if you were putting that amount of fill on hardcore it would raise .75 acres by around one foot. It might be in your pp to tidy it up but that is not a permit to take in spoil. I could be wrong but as with bullocks the guys with permitted dumps around here would report even suspect activity in a flash. More than one guy has had to dig out fill and then pay to dump it.

You are aloud to fill in land without permission with hardcore if it doesn't raise the level if the ground as is. Its when one is raising the ground level is when one needs permission.

Even thou I have PP to fill land, how much is it to get a permit for my other field because was thinking of tighting that up as well while I'm.at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

You are aloud to fill in land without permission with hardcore if it doesn't raise the level if the ground as is. Its when one is raising the ground level is when one needs permission.

Even thou I have PP to fill land, how much is it to get a permit for my other field because was thinking of tighting that up as well while I'm.at it

We were stopped from taking topsoil in , had to jump through a lot of hoops to avoid prosecution.
    There's a lot of time and money involved in getting a permit.
    The haulier also needs a permit (waste i think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Do you intend sowing this area to grass? All you'II need is 2" of topsoil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

td5man wrote: »
    We were stopped from taking topsoil in , had to jump through a lot of hoops to avoid prosecution.
    There's a lot of time and money involved in getting a permit.
    The haulier also needs a permit (waste i think).

there goes the idea of bring in fill and top soil to fill in a drain im thinking of putting a pipe into

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you intend sowing this area to grass? All you'II need is 2" of topsoil.

Yeah some grass and maybe some area to grow some food. 2inch of top soil over a 3/4 acre area is still a few good load . What's the going rate now for loads topsoil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

there goes the idea of bring in fill and top soil to fill in a drain im thinking of putting a pipe into

It depends whose toes you stand, sure you're well in with the authorities.
    You could buy fill from a local quarry. ;-) ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Since when would that stop you :D

Hiring in 2 diggers fir a few days to move what's there will chunk of change.
    Keep a eye out for building sites starting and go ask if can be got cheap or free the guy building up from me got enough topsoil to do 1acre free.
    You do need to apply to move soil around but it's no big deal and cheap as chips to get the permit

Keep a eye out for building sites starting and go ask if can be got cheap or free the guy building up from me got enough topsoil to do 1acre free.
    You do need to apply to move soil around but it's no big deal and cheap as chips to get the permit

Chunk of change ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Looking like you would be as well to dig a flight pond..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

How can a dozer be better value if its 50-60 an hour and digger is 250ish aday. Tbh, ive never seen anyone use or hire a dozer out near me.
    The dozer will skin the top layer 3 times as quick as an excavator and level it back in the same. If your levelling into bog your more than likely going to be tipping at one point and then dragging it over the field. Forty loads to drag and level will take a long time. Approach a lad that uses both machines and see what he suggests.

The dozer will skin the top layer 3 times as quick as an excavator and level it back in the same. If your levelling into bog your more than likely going to be tipping at one point and then dragging it over the field. Forty loads to drag and level will take a long time. Approach a lad that uses both machines and see what he suggests.

+1000, one good lad on a dozer will do more work like this than 4 diggers.

+1000, one good lad on a dozer will do more work like this than 4 diggers.

Are dozers not hard to find

There is a lad always advertising in the small ads in the Journal, land reclamation etc. Think its a D6 or D8.
    Push the whole 2 acres into the next field in a coupla hours

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There is a lad always advertising in the small ads in the Journal, land reclamation etc. Think its a D6 or D8.
    Push the whole 2 acres into the next field in a coupla hours

Gold rush comes to mind :D

• Advertisement

Yep, but the cost of moving him onto site probably prohibitive. :0

Reggie. wrote: »
    Are dozers not hard to find

There are more around than you think! A d6 wouldn't open a gate tbh you'd want a D8 or equivalent Komatsu D155 to make it worth your while.

There are more around than you think! A d6 wouldn't open a gate tbh you'd want a D8 or equivalent Komatsu D155 to make it worth your while.

I thought the D8 would be a monster. They are a serious machine though

Reggie. wrote: »
    I thought the D8 would be a monster. They are a serious machine though

Good power allright. This was my office for a while in oz, D11 a pure pig.

Good power allright. This was my office for a while in oz, D11 a pure pig.

Ah now your making me jealous

• Advertisement

Once lorry drops load, machine can pull it back to level while waiting in next lorry then rinse and repeat. I think it 40 loads can be done in a day, if not it'll be close to it. By my calculations, half hour round trip including dumping(maybe more) and that leaves machine driver 15 mins to pull back and level each load.

Advertisement