Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parthenaise v blonde bull

Options
  • 25-03-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Will be changing bulls shortly and debating between the two breeds. It's for a suckler herd, a mix of aa, aax and bbx cows and heifers. Are both capable of producing for the export market? And if so is calving difficulty compromised? Maybe it is too vague a question to ask bit would like to hear your options.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Will be changing bulls shortly and debating between the two breeds. It's for a suckler herd, a mix of aa, aax and bbx cows and heifers. Are both capable of producing for the export market? And if so is calving difficulty compromised? Maybe it is too vague a question to ask bit would like to hear your options.
    Thanks
    I only keep a few sucklers mostly ch x fr and lm x fr. Had two incalf to the
    part this year and definately the best calves both have produced.Found them good to put a bit of shape in the calves from plainer cows.This is my only experience with the breed so others may be of more help but will def use more this year.Calving was no problem as they were light boned.will try to get up a pic later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I only keep a few sucklers mostly ch x fr and lm x fr. Had two incalf to the
    part this year and definately the best calves both have produced.Found them good to put a bit of shape in the calves from plainer cows.This is my only experience with the breed so others may be of more help but will def use more this year.Calving was no problem as they were light boned.will try to get up a pic later
    Thanks. Been looking at a few part and one lad said they calve very small and then really make a burst around a month old.
    Almost had a blonde bought last year too. Seen calves off one bull and they were super.
    The last while though I have taken a shine too part.
    Decisions decisions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I have no experience with part so can't say anything about them.

We run a blonde with the heifers here and he is throwing exceptional quality. Calving ese with this lad dosnt get much better. They have nice small heads and calve very easy. Small as calves but shape up very quick. I've noticed the calves are a bit lively but as hard as nails. I really couldn't reckommend them high annof.

A lad next door runs one on his aa suckler herd and they are crossing very well. Nice size from the blonde but easy finish from the AA. He kills all bulls under 16 months and not pushing them that hard (no add lib).

If you plan on keeping your own replaisments I wouldn't expect them to have much milk but they will produce the goods for Italy.

PM me if you want the number of the lad I bought mine off. He's in south tipp not sure where you are but he has a good selection and is very sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

Thanks. Been looking at a few part and one lad said they calve very small and then really make a burst around a month old.
    Almost had a blonde bought last year too. Seen calves off one bull and they were super.
    The last while though I have taken a shine too part.
    Decisions decisions!

I have changed from a charolais to blonde this year. I have ai'd a few over the last two years and was very happy with the calves and easily calved. So took the plunge and bought a bull a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I have no experience with part so can't say anything about them.

We run a blonde with the heifers here and he is throwing exceptional quality. Calving ese with this lad dosnt get much better. They have nice small heads and calve very easy. Small as calves but shape up very quick. I've noticed the calves are a bit lively but as hard as nails. I really couldn't reckommend them high annof.

A lad next door runs one on his aa suckler herd and they are crossing very well. Nice size from the blonde but easy finish from the AA. He kills all bulls under 16 months and not pushing them that hard (no add lib).

If you plan on keeping your own replaisments I wouldn't expect them to have much milk but they will produce the goods for Italy.

Just after pulling a blonde heifer calf out of a charolais cow an hour ago for a neighbour. Put on the ropes and pulled by hand and she literally fell out of the cow, was making drives to get up after 5 minutes, seriously hardy little calf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Just after pulling a blonde heifer calf out of a charolais cow an hour ago for a neighbour. Put on the ropes and pulled by hand and she literally fell out of the cow, was making drives to get up after 5 minutes, seriously hardy little calf.

Every calf up sucking here from 5 to 15 mins. Hardy little feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I ran a blonde on a batch of limo x fr heifers last year. I wouldn't do it again. Some mousey coloured calves and leggy. The blonde works well on continentals are far as I see alright but if they are out of the dairy herd I wouldn't go with them again. The part seems to be doing the business and should cross well with black cows. Blonde don't imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No experience of parthas but have had a blonde running with similar cows to your angus x for the last 4 years, very happy with them. Couple of niggles though,
    can be very lean as finishers,
    they maybe go 10 days over their time,
    and mine had no milk in his figures, he was a son of OXY in dovea. No problem calving him on AAx cows, but tried him on a couple of friesians, not good, but ok on continental heifers.
    If you are selling as weanlings colour will be too dark for the Italian market. What are your BB cows like to calve? I'd be slow to use a new bull on them the first year anyway, wait till you see how calving goes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Miname wrote: »
    I ran a blonde on a batch of limo x fr heifers last year. I wouldn't do it again. Some mousey coloured calves and leggy. The blonde works well on continentals are far as I see alright but if they are out of the dairy herd I wouldn't go with them again. The part seems to be doing the business and should cross well with black cows. Blonde don't imo.
    Sorry meant to say blondes cross really well on the blues however.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Miname wrote: »
    Sorry meant to say blondes cross really well on the blues however.

Use on blue cows with caution. I paid a hefty price this year for crossing blonde on continental blue cows. So much so that i fear to do it again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't get this hang up about colour. I have sold mousey coloured weanlings for export to Italy year on year and for up to €3.20 a kilo at that. If they have the shape they will have to find their sea legs.

We ran a blonde bull with simmental cows here years ago and had a run of blonde heifers that we then calved to the blue. They threw tremendous sucks. We then tried a blonde again and had to cull all 2nd generation heifers for lack of milk. Good hardy calves as Limestone Cowboy and simx have said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Grueller wrote: »
    I don't get this hang up about colour. I have sold mousey coloured weanlings for export to Italy year on year and for up to €3.20 a kilo at that. If they have the shape they will have to find their sea legs.

We ran a blonde bull with simmental cows here years ago and had a run of blonde heifers that we then calved to the blue. They threw tremendous sucks. We then tried a blonde again and had to cull all 2nd generation heifers for lack of milk. Good hardy calves as Limestone Cowboy and simx have said.

Neither do I to be honest, but I think some Italian lads got black cattle from Ireland (probably with traditional angus breeding?) years ago and found that they went too fat, I think this could be why dark coloured weanlings don't always sell as well as lighter coloured ones.

Have to agree with you on the milk too, my bull was actually negative for milk. One generation of blonde might be ok though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Thanks for ye'r opinions guys. I always considered the blonde very close to the Charolais, but with less bone, would I right in saying that? Also, would the blonde give a bit of depth and height?
    Met a man in the mart a month or two ago,he was selling blonde weanlings out of bbx cows and they looked lovely animals.
    There is a part for sale on dd, in Clare I think. He looks a real nice bull also.
    I suppose a good one of either breed would do the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Get a scrub half blonde, half part and you'll be set up :D

Blonde will bring you height and length but less bone alright, the height may be more in the legs too. In saying that though the heifers make lovely yearlings, look really stylish for breeding.

Kovu wrote: »
    Get a scrub half blonde, half part and you'll be set up :D

Blonde will bring you height and length but less bone alright, the height may be more in the legs too. In saying that though the heifers make lovely yearlings, look really stylish for breeding.

I'll leave you to find one for me so!! A bit of height would be a help on the bbx and some Aa as they can be a bit on the smaller side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Breed a few myself, find them good for milk.[/quote]

Thats a smashing calf in 2nd pic is he part,pb part or out of a limo or something ,if you got 1 like dat everytime you wudnt be too badly off

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

Thats a smashing calf in 2nd pic is he part,pb part or out of a limo or something ,if you got 1 like dat everytime you wudnt be too badly off

He is pedigree part out of CBQ. He is a week old now

He is pedigree part out of CBQ. He is a week old now

Are part good calfing cows do u have any cross breds parts

What is the best cross for a part bull ,do u sell ur calfes as weanlings r they good sellers.2nf pic is a great calf ,3rd picture is a good calf but he is a terrible color.would a blond out of a golden ch cow be good she has lm heifer on her atm ,mite consider part even will take a pic of calf tomorrow not very muscly but stylish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'll throw my hat in the ring.

One of the best calves I've ever seen was a BB out of a Pb Part cow. Super calf. Great cross.

We've used a nice nit of BA over the years, often on PB CH heifers. Again a super cross, long, clean, shapey, easy calved, great KO. Maybe late maturing but super cattle.

Its likely a good cow will cross well to either breed, or more specifically, to a good bull, of either breed.
    The colour issue is always talked about. It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference, and often it doesn't if the beast is good enough it make no difference. A super calf if he's purple, pink or green he'll still be super! But with the bottom 50% in any herd colour makes a big difference. I see it time and time again.
    So weigh up your options and decide what type of calf you want to produce, what age you sell at, what best suits your cows and what you like yourself.
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭blonde10

Have to say blondes are one of the best bulls we have used on our farm,currently running a blonde bull on blonde cross red limo and saler cross,can't fault any of his offspring,calves come small at birth but shape up very nice after a month or 2,heifers have serious length will make super sucklers ,we have some of ours in calf to hca ,all in all I'd have to say blondes are a good all round bull,great cattle to finish aswell,this thing about the colour will be wrong,we sold weanlings last year 10 mts old 410kg made 1100 and he was a mousy brown bull...so can't say any more than that...if your looking for a blonde bull I'd recommend a walk on the farm of John o hollaran "Glenwood blondes....

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

blonde10 wrote: »
    Have to say blondes are one of the best bulls we have used on our farm,currently running a blonde bull on blonde cross red limo and saler cross,can't fault any of his offspring,calves come small at birth but shape up very nice after a month or 2,heifers have serious length will make super sucklers ,we have some of ours in calf to hca ,all in all I'd have to say blondes are a good all round bull,great cattle to finish aswell,this thing about the colour will be wrong,we sold weanlings last year 10 mts old 410kg made 1100 and he was a mousy brown bull...so can't say any more than that...if your looking for a blonde bull I'd recommend a walk on the farm of John o hollaran "Glenwood blondes....

Thanks John ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭4512

Both breeds are fairly sensitive to the wet and cold but the biggest difference between them is probably calving ease. Parts put on a fat cover easier than blondes but blondes of course are easy calved. Did you consider a good Piedmontese or aubrac either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Would've bought and finished a good few weanlings around 10 yrs ago, always really liked the blondes, v v stylish animals, that nearly always killed out/graded well. One downside is they can be a bit similar to limousins temperament wise, flighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 connormi

We got blonde bull for suckler cows last year. They are calving away no problems so far and are very hardy even in this weather. They do carry bit of time with most going over 290days. Calves seem to be fine temperment wise. Hope they grade and weigh well at slaughter looks like they should anyway.

Advertisement