Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm safety grants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭50HX

does any one know where tp get the paperwork for the grants eg head scoop, scales

not taking over the farm til jan 2015 ( in paper) will i qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

50HX wrote: »
    does any one know where tp get the paperwork for the grants eg head scoop, scales

not taking over the farm til jan 2015 ( in paper) will i qualify?

This weeks journal has a good bit about it might answer your question

cheers Johnsey,

anyone buy them headscoops, are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Would like to get the 4 exterior gang slat with the agitation manhole built into. Anyone know what price these are, would they cost the 2 thousand for minimun spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just reading up, all the work needs to be done by 31st Aug, and all paperwork etc lodged. This is leaving a very narrow window for everything, especially if you don't get approval until the 2nd round after Jan, and have quite a large job to do, then it's going to leave things extremely tight. It possibly leaves a mini boom for the construction industry required (well mostly just electricians and lads doing concrete), which then dries up come August. I just think it's all too tight a time frame.

k mac wrote: »
    Would like to get the 4 exterior gang slat with the agitation manhole built into. Anyone know what price these are, would they cost the 2 thousand for minimun spend?

try Banagher concrete - i bought 2 ribs of a single gang last year, a full non manhole gang slat was 220euro, don't know if you'll make up the 2k min spend on the 4 gangs with manhole or not - note that when you are applying the application price has to be ex vat ( i assume you can claim the vat back at a later date as long as slats would be classified as permenant structures/fitting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

k mac wrote: »

Banagher are 590 and croom are 600. That's for one 4' x 11'6" with Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

when u are submitting the form for the rewiring of the shed do you just include the rate x metre squared or do you also add a figure for labour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Be very interested to hear if anyone had a look at cattle crates or thinking of getting one.

Seems plenty of variety. IAE, Ritchie, Nugent etc

Which one do you like the best and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Muckit wrote: »
    Be very interested to hear if anyone had a look at cattle crates or thinking of getting one.

Seems plenty of variety. IAE, Ritchie, Nugent etc

Which one do you like the best and why?

Do you mean the mobile crush? Had a look at a few at the ploughing; O'Neill's (either in Cork or Kilkenny or both - can't remember off hand which) had one, as had O'Donnell Eng. in Emly, Tipp. The latter seemed impressive and sturdy, and can fold out into 2 8ft lengths, but you have to specify in advance on which side you want the 3-point linkage mounted - can only be on one side. Cashels in Co. Mayo also make one but in talking to the man there, he said it's borderline that it meets the grant spec.

Yeah mobile crush. I'd like a sliding rear gate if was going for one, but very few of the irish made ones have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I got a letter todat saying I needed to send a plan of where I planned to put the calving gate I applied for. Will a hand drawn rough cut plan do or do I need something more official looking with measurements etc. or would a photo suffice?

any help appreciated

Hand drawn should do, but make sure you put in a scale on it (usually 1:500 for buildings, might need to go to to 1:1000 for a calving gate). I'd fire in a photo of it also and throw a rough sketch on it. Bit annoying that they didn't specify that you needed the likes of that before. Out of interest when did you apply? I applied mid Oct and have heard nothing yet, not even a letter of acknowledgement, should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hand drawn should do, but make sure you put in a scale on it (usually 1:500 for buildings, might need to go to to 1:1000 for a calving gate). I'd fire in a photo of it also and throw a rough sketch on it. Bit annoying that they didn't specify that you needed the likes of that before. Out of interest when did you apply? I applied mid Oct and have heard nothing yet, not even a letter of acknowledgement, should I be worried?

they do specify in the terms and conditions what does and does not require a drawing

i applied on the 3rd November and got letter about 10 days ago, but i am under the min spend

hand drawn will be fine but as Tim says, put it to scale,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Same as under min spend won't bother for now with any life saving equipment

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    Same as under min spend won't bother for now with any life saving equipment

they never mentioned in the acknowledgement letter i was under min spend, just that they were examining application, but i dont hold out much hope, sure im used to the dark at this stage, fcuking lights would only blind me

they never mentioned in the acknowledgement letter i was under min spend, just that they were examining application, but i dont hold out much hope, sure im used to the dark at this stage, fcuking lights would only blind me

I was up at a friends new milking parlour a few weeks back for the evening milking (was dark then), he had some amount of lights inside in it, and I had a headache for the next few hrs as a result! Useful lesson for me, I certainly won't be going crazy with lights in mine!

I was up at a friends new milking parlour a few weeks back for the evening milking (was dark then), he had some amount of lights inside in it, and I had a headache for the next few hrs as a result! Useful lesson for me, I certainly won't be going crazy with lights in mine!

dont put any in at all, wife would only be able to see you on camera then

how training going this weather tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Folks, have any of you got prices per metre for Silo Rail?

Think I saw dept prices of €23.30 per metre, I've no idea how realistic that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

trg wrote: »
    Folks, have any of you got prices per metre for Silo Rail?

Think I saw dept prices of €23.30 per metre, I've no idea how realistic that is

It matters little how realistic this is the maximum you will get so no point in quoting over it. If you are below 17K in total grant application there is little point in quoting under

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

As a result of a minor lighting malfunction I've been milking virtually in the dark for the last couple of days...

I might be imagining it but the handful I am milking seem happier and if anything the yield is up.

Seriously thinking of toning down the overhead lights, perhaps putting an LED strip at the kerb rail & on the frame, much better to see the bags that way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

kowtow wrote: »
    As a result of a minor lighting malfunction I've been milking virtually in the dark for the last couple of days...

I might be imagining it but the handful I am milking seem happier and if anything the yield is up.

Seriously thinking of toning down the overhead lights, perhaps putting an LED strip at the kerb rail & on the frame, much better to see the bags that way anyway.

Headlight.:D

Headlight.:D

tried that, but pit is a bit shallow.

Perhaps I could adapt a headlight as a "belt light". Probably best not to leave it on by accident when going to centra.

tried that, but pit is a bit shallow.

Pit here too shallow also, utter pet hate of mine! I non stop slough to my left side when putting clusters on, combined that with a fairly poor glute/hip area on my left side (from a previous motorbike accident), it leaves me with problems there the whole time. The worst is when ya got a cow in too far from the pit, you got no choice but to put your head under the bars to get to her, I've come very close to getting a serious slap as a result. Hence some of the reason my new parlour can't come soon enough, although I have been well tempted to dig out the existing pit before!

The worst is when ya got a cow in too far from the pit, you got no choice but to put your head under the bars to get to her, I've come very close to getting a serious slap as a result. Hence some of the reason my new parlour can't come soon enough, although I have been well tempted to dig out the existing pit before!

I know what you mean.. Somehow I only notice that my head is actually under the rump rail when it is already there! It's either that or doing everything by feel, & then trying to extract half your glove from the cluster....

We're in the process of narrowing the pit here one side at a time, so basically milking on a half finished side at the moment. On the "new" side we're bringing the parlour floor up a couple of inches which will bring the pit depth to something more reasonable. It's an entertaining way to do things - all the steel work, feeders, levels, etc. set up for two different heights as the current side will eventually come up as well.

Makes for complete chaos of course with the parlour changing a little each day, but thankfully the girls are polite and pretend not to notice when I forget to re-hang a bail gate, leave a laser level in a manger etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Could there be a stray current that is effecting the cows when the lighting is working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Could there be a stray current that is effecting the cows when the lighting is working?

Fizzy milk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Would the up grade of a safety railing around an open slurry pit aided by this new grant scheme? And an agitating point? These are jobs I must do this year!

I know what you mean.. Somehow I only notice that my head is actually under the rump rail when it is already there! It's either that or doing everything by feel, & then trying to extract half your glove from the cluster....

We're in the process of narrowing the pit here one side at a time, so basically milking on a half finished side at the moment. On the "new" side we're bringing the parlour floor up a couple of inches which will bring the pit depth to something more reasonable. It's an entertaining way to do things - all the steel work, feeders, levels, etc. set up for two different heights as the current side will eventually come up as well.

Makes for complete chaos of course with the parlour changing a little each day, but thankfully the girls are polite and pretend not to notice when I forget to re-hang a bail gate, leave a laser level in a manger etc.

The very reason I just fired ahead with a totally new parlour, I had no appetite to spend 10/15k and weeks of hardship to get up to 8 or 10 units, only to need more units a few years down the line.

Does anyone know if you obliged to purchase everything on your application?

I mean lets just say you put in for 5 yard lights (among other things to reach minimum spend). Could you then once approved just buy 3 lights and just draw down the grant on three (again assuming you are not under the minimum spend)?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you obliged to purchase everything on your application?

I mean lets just say you put in for 5 yard lights (among other things to reach minimum spend). Could you then once approved just buy 3 lights and just draw down the grant on three (again assuming you are not under the minimum spend)?

as far as i am aware once you reach the min spend you are ok

refusal letter today as below min spend

have to re apply now and fire in a few more lights

Anyone got proper approval yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone got proper approval yet?

I don't think they can approve anyone until after the closing date to see if the scheme is over-subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

I don't think they can approve anyone until after the closing date to see if the scheme is over-subscribed.

What date is that

I think the closing date 9th of January for the first part of the scheme.

If there is enough money available then all applications will be approved and any cash left over will go to the second part of the scheme.

If it is over subscribed then the applicants with most points will be approved up to the limit of cash available. Any not approved will see their applications join the second part of the scheme and the same rules as above will apply re. under and over money available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

‘Huge interest’ sparks calls for extension to Farm Safety Scheme deadline
    http://www.agriland.ie/news/huge-interest-sparks-calls-extension-farm-safety-scheme-deadline/
    Might include pto covers if extended

Got approved today

Had mine sent back a few weeks ago, needed clarification on the map where everything was to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:
    Had mine sent back a few weeks ago, needed clarification on the map where everything was to go.

got same here

Did you amend and re submit then

Yeh, heard nothing back yet, I assume I've been thrown on the bottom of the heap again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Got approved today

When did you apply?

trg wrote: »
    When did you apply?

First week in November

Just got approval in the post today.

Cattle/sheep scales and leg hoist:)

• Advertisement

Got to fully remove the 2 internal agitation points before I can do anything, doubtful if it's worth it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Got to fully remove the 2 internal agitation points before I can do anything, doubtful if it's worth it now.

What did you apply to get?

tanko wrote: »
    What did you apply to get?

Rewire the whole shed, a few manholes, yard lights, calving gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Rewire the whole shed, a few manholes, yard lights, calving gate.

That's very nice of them. So if you wanted to get a calving gate and yard lights you get turned down because you have internal agitation points?

Just got approval in the post today.

Cattle/sheep scales and leg hoist:)

Are both of those bringing you up to the min spend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement