Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm safety grants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

I said wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/view/6913906
    mobile cattle crushes
    Had a look at this Saturday serious bit of kit

How much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

so if you have an old slatted house with no external agitation point, can you replace the internal point(slat) with platted steel cover?
    i think there not covering internal agitation point? either way, i'll have to get slats replaced so this would help.

another question, if i was to make my own sliding doors, could i put the cost of materials in? presume i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 diesel druggie

jfh wrote: »
    so if you have an old slatted house with no external agitation point, can you replace the internal point(slat) with a slatted steel cover?
    i think there not covering internal agitation point? either way, i'll have to get slats replaced so this would help.

You'll not be approved for payment as the aim is to get agiation point outside thats why there is a grant for removal of end wall of tank. Im in the same boat as you going to apply for slats and removal of end wall and make my mind up in the spring when I get them out

• Registered Users Posts: 44 diesel druggie

another question, if i was to make my own sliding doors, could i put the cost of materials in? presume i could.

Use the invoice from your steel supplier and add in your own labour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

Im in the same boat as you going to apply for slats and removal of end wall and make my mind up in the spring when I get them out

When u say removal of end wall do u mean end wall of tank as I wasn't sure if that could be done successfully. If it could be done I would be interested to hear as I would like to add on to my 2 bay tank to make it a 3 bay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Sami23 wrote: »
    When u say removal of end wall do u mean end wall of tank as I wasn't sure if that could be done successfully. If it could be done I would be interested to hear as I would like to add on to my 2 bay tank to make it a 3 bay ?

snap. and the last lad put the mixing point in the middle of the shed.

I have since knocked a wall and moved it to the edge of the tank that can be accessed from outside but is still inside if you understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You'll not be approved for payment as the aim is to get agiation point outside thats why there is a grant for removal of end wall of tank. Im in the same boat as you going to apply for slats and removal of end wall and make my mind up in the spring when I get them out

Its a bit counter productive really, as like it or not, a tank over 5 bays long will need agitating/mixing in the middle. They might as well give grant for existing sheds with midway mixing points, as they probably give a grant on the sheds construction in the first place!
    Surely its better to have a safe method of putting a mixer into the centre of the tank, as lifting single slats of 11 foot length is not an easy task. The first 2 are easy and safe enough, but numbers 3, 4 and 5 are bloody dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I was looking at the clear lights in my shed. I also looked at department spec. From what O can make out you will get the cage made and leave end bar longer on higher side. These are pushed up under ''U'' of clearlight profile and pushed down under lower purloin. Bars are bend at higher side to precent it slipping.

However clearlights span two purloins in general so you will need two grids/clearlight sheet. I presume that these will be each considered a separate rooflight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hoping for a bit of help on the application form, q2 "has applicant declared a minimum of 5 ha under single farm payment /area aid/iacs application?" The answer is yes, but it then asks "if yes,'please state year" I'm assuming 2014 am I right. Any help appreciated!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its a bit counter productive really, as like it or not, a tank over 5 bays long will need agitating/mixing in the middle. They might as well give grant for existing sheds with midway mixing points, as they probably give a grant on the sheds construction in the first place!
    Surely its better to have a safe method of putting a mixer into the centre of the tank, as lifting single slats of 11 foot length is not an easy task. The first 2 are easy and safe enough, but numbers 3, 4 and 5 are bloody dangerous.

don't fully understand, but i assume the idea is start agitating at outside points , this in theory should get rid of slurry gas.safer than if 1st agitating inside shed.as you pointed out centre has to be agitated as heap will build up otherwise,seen it happen,slats had to be removed and digger used.
    actually was in house one day when fella decided to show me his idea of air agitation, he had a 11ft long galvanised 1" pipe in hand with tap and hose attached. i heard tractor revving outside it had a yellow council type compressor on rear. he stuck pipe into unagitatated tank, full to slat,turned on air hose , i cleared out quick ,he couldn't understand why, as he said its how he does it all-time, holding pipe in hand with doors open,no lumps either,slurry gas whats that? was remark.i guess with all casualties he's more careful now, i hope.

Where it states "a young Farmer must hold a department identifier at the time of application" does that mean a herd number?

Where it states "a young Farmer must hold a department identifier at the time of application" does that mean a herd number?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Does anyone know if you have to have claimed a farm yard parcel in the SFP 2014 application in order to claim under the grant on say doors for a shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

shrek008 wrote: »
    It says on the Agriland website that its only MOBILE cattle crushes and pens that will be grant aided,does this mean that an ordinary crush and handling facilities wont be covered?

no fixed crushes not covered.youll have to fix them after works are completed and inspected.planning permission would be an issue if structures were fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

realtec wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to have claimed a farm yard parcel in the SFP 2014 application in order to claim under the grant on say doors for a shed?

The way I read it you do have to have claimed in 2014 which f***ks those of us taking the departments advice not to buy entitlements for 14 in order to qualify for the "Scottish Derogation" in the new CAP.

The problem with all these quick-fire schemes is poor drafting - plenty of holes in the Finance Act itself which contradict the budget speech (Green Cert for CAT exemption, for example)..

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

i just cut two large openings in my end wall jus below slat level.then extended the tank the with of a manhole cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patktmh

I'm wondering about the mobile cattle penning.. I want to build a handling facility on an outfarm and have no problem fitting a mobile crush but what exactly does the term "mobile cattle penning mean"? Can I have a run up to the crush and gates fixed to hold cattle in a handling area before putting them up the shoot?

richie123 wrote: »
    i just cut two large openings in my end wall jus below slat level.then extended the tank the with of a manhole cover.

So would it be possible to add another bay onto my 2 bay tank ?

richie123 wrote: »

So would it b possible to add another bay onto my 2 bay tank and extend shed also ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

patktmh wrote: »
    I'm wondering about the mobile cattle penning.. I want to build a handling facility on an outfarm and have no problem fitting a mobile crush but what exactly does the term "mobile cattle penning mean"? Can I have a run up to the crush and gates fixed to hold cattle in a handling area before putting them up the shoot?

It would be interesting to see what is on the market here for a cattle pen that can be moved from one farm to another . Something that is strong enough to hold 10/15 cows but light enough to be moved onto a trailer and not take long to set up .
    In fairness with the amount of fragmented farms they would be a useful tool to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bullocks wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what is on the market here for a cattle pen that can be moved from one farm to another . Something that is strong enough to hold 10/15 cows but light enough to be moved onto a trailer and not take long to set up .
    In fairness with the amount of fragmented farms they would be a useful tool to have

Was looking at a few of these at the ploughing match, with a view to purchasing subject to grant approval. TH Jenkinson in Armagh had a reasonably good one, large enough for over a dozen cattle, at about €1700 VAT incl.

http://www.thjenkinson.com/Home.aspx

O'Donnell engineering also do them I think, and had a strong portable crush at about €1700 VAT incl. also.

http://www.odonnellengineering.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

for anyone buying or already with a cattle scales is 7ft or 8ft better or does it make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

eddiek wrote: »
    for anyone buying or already with a cattle scales is 7ft or 8ft better or does it make any difference?

Have had cattle across both here in the yard, 7 is grand for the most part, but the 8 is a bit better for big long lanky lads. They can be a bit bunched up at times on the 7ft. Generally though if you leave it back a bit from the head gate with bigger cattle it works a bit better, enough that there's room for their head between it and the gate, but not to much that they can get a front foot past it if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patktmh

shrek008 wrote: »
    It says on the Agriland website that its only MOBILE cattle crushes and pens that will be grant aided,does this mean that an ordinary crush and handling facilities wont be covered?

I think so and I was talking to a supplier yesterday, he warned to be wary of the grant as mobile crushes and other mobile equipment is not eligible for claiming VAT back on. we could have done with some visual examples of what they mean by "mobile" penning and handling facilities before we go and erect things that may not be seen as "mobile" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 friesian13

can i get a grant to wire a shed that ive nearly finished building?on the ag website it says "wiring/rewiring of existing farm building"what do ye think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

friesian13 wrote: »
    can i get a grant to wire a shed that ive nearly finished building?on the ag website it says "wiring/rewiring of existing farm building"what do ye think??

No harm in checking it out

;Will it be finished by the time inspections start? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 friesian13

shud b finished in the next in the next few weeks.thinkin of putting in calvin gate also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

hey this might seem like a silly question but if i want to get the yard lights done and or rewiring of a old farm house, do i need to submit cost estimates(consult an electrician etc... prior to filling in the application?...or can i just leave the costing out (as i dont have one yet?)

MikeSoys wrote: »
    hey this might seem like a silly question but if i want to get the yard lights done and or rewiring of a old farm house, do i need to submit cost estimates(consult an electrician etc... prior to filling in the application?...or can i just leave the costing out (as i dont have one yet?)

Use the standard costings. You will not get in excess of it anyway.

Cheers Pudsey - would you know where the standrd costings are on the site as all i see is
    ...agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmsafetyscheme/

Cheers Pudsey - would you know where the standrd costings are on the site as all i see is

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingandstructuresspecificationswordformat/

Farm safty reference costs 2014

Here ya go, takes a bit of finding alright.... You'd think they'd have it all in the one place but then again......

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingspecifications/wordversions/FarmSafetySchemeReferenceCostsandExplanatoryNotes061114.doc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Two questions about the grant. Are you allowed to start work before you get approval, and then for anyone who has submitted their application in this 1st period (before end of November), when should we hear if we got approval or not?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Two questions about the grant. Are you allowed to start work before you get approval, and then for anyone who has submitted their application in this 1st period (before end of November), when should we hear if we got approval or not?

Must have approval before commencing work, or else they won't pay out.... Not sure on when they'll approve,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I got a letter that my application was received, I now have to wait for approval from my local office before i can do any work

orm0nd wrote: »
    I got a letter that my application was received, I now have to wait for approval from my local office before i can do any work

What measures did you apply for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

as pudsey says use standard costs, you also need a plan of the buildings to submit with application

Timmaay wrote: »

approval first, when did you apply tim
    orm0nd wrote: »

when did you apply ormond, i applied 2 weeks ago and nothing back yet,

omly found out afterwards there is a min spend to qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Lads,

A bit of advise needed. I have 2 slatted sheds that have 3 tanks between them. The end of each tank overshoots the shed wall to allow for external agitation. This overshoot is covered by four single slats on each one, as shown in the attached pictures. the Slats are 11'6" long, 7" high and 7" wide. I want to replace all of these single slats with a gang slat with a manhole in the middle. My problem is that there is not enough room for a full 6 rib gang slat as there is only about 4' of the tank exposed.

I could remove the single slat that is under the wall and then push the new gang slat into this place, which might allow enough clearance, the gang slat would be over hanging the tank by one slat but all of the manhole would be over the tank cavity itself.

Alternatively, have any of you created a steel lid that covers this full opening and can be hinged up? This might be cheaper altogether. If you have, throw up an auld picture.

Thanks

WP_20141115_005-Copy_zps4a9764ea.jpg

WP_20141115_006-Copy_zps1131f726.jpg

You could either cut one "slat" off the gang slat, or just lay the entire gang slat on the tank, and the opening "man hole" or should I say "agitation point" will still be over the tank and allow your mixer in.

as pudsey says use standard costs, you also need a plan of the buildings to submit with application

thanks ..by a plan of the buildings.. is a half decent drawing of the building with the proposed changes alright - do you think?

hey Charlieull whats the min spend?

hey Charliebull whats the min spend?

hey Charliebull whats the min spend?

2grand plus vat minimum spend to qualify, 8grand maximum pay out, but I'd say very few will get that much depending on the amount that apply...

Zr105 wrote: »
    2grand plus vat minimum spend to qualify, 8grand maximum pay out, but I'd say very few will get that much depending on the amount that apply...

2grand!! oh my...wasent thinking of spending that much on rewiring/yard lights etc...ah well
    :-(

thanks ..by a plan of the buildings.. is a half decent drawing of the building with the proposed changes alright - do you think?

Just a basic plan to show area of buildings to be re wired and plan yard showing light positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

anyone gonna extend the end wall of the tank i have to do one shed one at each end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What measures did you apply for ?

all sheep handling , mobile race, scales, penning etc

they recd it 29th October

• Advertisement
Advertisement